4x4labs rear and exhaust issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With my 4x4 labs rear bumper installed and the exhaust cut to fit the bumper the exhaust drone is loud horrible over 3k rpm. When driving in town its not bad but when it downshifts gets bad. Has anyone else had this issue?
Ideas on fix. I wouldn't think chopping a foot off would make that much difference. Recomendations?
Wouldn't think it would matter that much behind the muffler...

Nope, mine still sounds factory, maybe a tad bit louder.

Yes I had this issue. I thought something crazy must be wrong. It turns out that, under heavy acceleration, the engine and therefore exhaust would shift an inch or so and be blowing right into the "wing" of the rear bumper. This has a megaphone effect and sounds like the exhaust has been routed inside the back of your cruiser at high RPM. This can be solved for free by sticking a wrecker bar, or something similar, into the end of your exhaust and bending it a couple few inches down or towards the rear passenger tire.

Hope that helps

I cut off the resonator to fit a kamar tire carrier. The exhaust sound is deeper and drony. And the whistle got louder. The drone doesn't bother me it's the whistle!

Cut out resonator and the whistle is VERY loud, thinking of having it welded back.

if it is blowing into the wing cut it at an angle so it blows down some. might help. When i cut mine off with the sawzal i just made two cuts so it has a two angle tip if that makes sense. Kind of like factory on some cars. One cut vertical one 45 degrees. I have some whistle but that is it. I only hear it if i am accelerating near something that will reflect the sound back like a highway divider.

Yes I had this issue. I thought something crazy must be wrong. It turns out that, under heavy acceleration, the engine and therefore exhaust would shift an inch or so and be blowing right into the "wing" of the rear bumper. This has a megaphone effect and sounds like the exhaust has been routed inside the back of your cruiser at high RPM. This can be solved for free by sticking a wrecker bar, or something similar, into the end of your exhaust and bending it a couple few inches down or towards the rear passenger tire.

Hope that helps

▲Same problem▲

Crazy loud inside and outside at high RPM, melted the drain lines:eek:

I was challanged due to less room than most with an Aux tank but I found a $25 fix. Now back to normal

Before - No bueno

img_5506-jpg.1284269

Muy muy bueno with 5.6 gain in HP going chrome:smokin:

img_5516-jpg.1284270

Be sure to add a hanger back there, if not the muffler will crack sooner than later.

This ^^

I didn't add a hanger and I lost my muffler hanger on a wheeling trip. Bailing wire saved the day.

When I got back into town, I took mine to a local shop and he worked some magic. Added 2 hangers and some pipe that was turned down for like $65. Damn cheap and it solved all my issues.

If you want some pictures, let me know and I'll grab some.

With my 4x4 labs rear bumper installed and the exhaust cut to fit the bumper the exhaust drone is loud horrible over 3k rpm. When driving in town its not bad but when it downshifts gets bad. Has anyone else had this issue?
Ideas on fix. I wouldn't think chopping a foot off would make that much difference. Recomendations?
Wouldn't think it would matter that much behind the muffler...

I had the same issue when I built my Hanna Quality rear bumper. But the factory resonator I removed was too big to go back on well. I went to my local muffler shop and he had a brand new resonator sitting around from a dodge 1500 that came straight from the dealership for aftermarket exhaust. It was much more streamlined than the toyota OEM one. welded it on and no more noise issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom