Builds 1FZ-FE TRD S/C Rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread this is exactly what i have in mind but might go the turbo route as supercharged 80s are rare as rocking horse turds in Australia.
Im going to build the engine myself

Thank you! I hope these threads help others. They certainly help encourage me and keep me on track when I'm wondering if I'm making any progress.

No new updates on the oil galley plugs from Toyota. If anyone has an OEM option please chime in. Otherwise, maybe the 16mm Dorman plugs will work, but that remains to be seen. Also, waiting to hear if the piston pin bushings are in spec. That was something new I didn't have to deal with on my 2F rebuild a few years ago.

Talked with the machine shop today and the piston pin bushings are within spec. One more piece of the puzzle!

I ended up ordering all of the stainless plugs from Toyota. Never did find a part number for the oil galley plug so I bought a steel Dorman one. We'll see how that works later.

No new updates from the machine shop, but I was told that Hylomar spray adhesive is the only OEM approved gasket coating for head gaskets. I haven't seen any posts about coating a 1FZ-FE head gasket. Anyone done this?

I ended up ordering all of the stainless plugs from Toyota. Never did find a part number for the oil galley plug so I bought a steel Dorman one. We'll see how that works later.

No new updates from the machine shop, but I was told that Hylomar spray adhesive is the only OEM approved gasket coating for head gaskets. I haven't seen any posts about coating a 1FZ-FE head gasket. Anyone done this?

Nope. Cometic went on dry.

I put my OEM on dry.

How did you determine th hat you needed a bigger pump?

When we did the S/C I left the OE pump and it has worked great for several years.
However lately it will occasionally ping (very mildly, no one else hears it but me) at WOT at speed. Might be gas, injectors should be clean...dunno. Not sweating that much it as it rarely happens and the 80 is primarily our local trail rig. But I'm thinking it can't hurt to upgrade to a Supra pump (PM kinda) and take it from there.

Cheers!

The block finally made it to the line hone machine!
IMG_8177.JPG
IMG_8175.JPG

Line hone is done! Cylinders 1-3 were off mostly from the catastrophic failure at #2. Still need to get the oil galley plugs removed for cleaning and replacement as well as 1 broken oil pan bolt needs removal.

Is a 1500lb load leveler adequate for the weight of the engine, tranny, and transfer case? I'm thinking something more heavy duty is needed.

Cleaned the timing tensioner. Seems to be in great shape and looks like new. I continually appreciate how some of these parts have held up, even after 300k and a catastrophic failure.
IMG_0797.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom