2nd row removal and SRS fix (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After removing my 3rd and 2nd row seats in my 2016 LC, The SRS warning light lit up. Here is what you need to turn it off again. Essentially you must trick the SRS ECU into thinking the side impact airbag in the seat is still present. To do so you must put a 2.2ohnm 2watt flame proof resistor in line where the squib once was.

Parts list;

(2) Toyota housing connectors
90980-12697
(2) 2.2ohnm 2watt flameproof resistors
NTE2W2D2
(2) Volkswagen wires
000-979-017-E
And some shrink wrap tubbing

The hardest part of this project was finding the parts. Oddly enough Toyota doesn't sell the wires with pins attached but thank god VW does.

Last edited:
Step one.

Cut the VW wire so that you have one short length and and sauder the resistor in line.

IMG_1597.JPG

Step two

Shrink wrap the resistor and exposed metal with a couple of layers. This resistor is going to get a little warm so insulated it well.

Fold the wire in half so that the pins are at the same length and shrink wrap the whole piece.

IMG_1598.JPG

Step three

Seat the pins in the hosing connector.

If aligned properly, they will snap right in and the retention clip will hold them in place.

IMG_1601.JPG

Last edited:
Step four

Disconnect the battery.

Plug your new SRS squib simulator into the harness connectors in the 2nd row. I slid mine along the wiring loom under the carpet pointing toward the front of the vehicle.

Reconnect your battery and your done

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

Last edited:
Parts list;

(2) Volkswagen wires
000-979-017-E

And some shrink wrap tubbing

BEWARE!!! VW is phasing out this part and only has less than a dozen in North America so if you're going to do this order the 000-979-017-E now!
Great write up! Is there something specific about these, or is it the convenience of the crimped ends? Just asking, this is something I want to do in the future and not sure if this is a true scarce commodity as I don't know squat about wiring / electronics... ;)

Last edited:
AWESOME - much appreciate the efforts in pioneering this and sharing it !

E

Great write up! Is there something specific about these, or is it the convenience of the crimped ends? Just asking, this is something I want to do in the future and not sure if this is a true scarce commodity as I don't know squat about wiring / electronics... ;)

The pins are square and tiny. I had no idea where to find the pins to crimp on so finding them already attached was very convenient. The hunt for them was the hardest part.

I still haven't found the pins alone.

The pins are square and tiny. I had no idea where to find the pins to crimp on so finding them already attached was very convenient. The hunt for them was the hardest part.

I still haven't found the pins alone.

Appreciate your efforts and that you gave part numbers.

I just ordered all parts you listed. Not sure when I'll do this, but will eventually remove at least one of the two seats.

Did you need to do this for each side? -Or just one side...?

Appreciate your efforts and that you gave part numbers.

I just ordered all parts you listed. Not sure when I'll do this, but will eventually remove at least one of the two seats.

Did you need to do this for each side? -Or just one side...?

You will need one for the passenger and one for the drivers side.

You will need one for the passenger and one for the drivers side.

Oh good...because I ordered double everything, assuming that. :) Thanks.

PDXLX,
Thanks again for the write up. Do you worry that the resistor heating up means 2.2 ohm is too small?
I ordered the parts and I'm already planning my improved sleeping platform

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but I have a very serious question:

No doubt this mod extinguishes the SRS warning light, but what guarantee do we have that the remaining active airbags will deploy when required?

This could be a very serious problem.

HTH

No doubt this mod extinguishes the SRS warning light, but what guarantee do we have that the remaining active airbags will deploy when required?

HTH

I believe that question was answered previously...dispelling the rumor that disconnecting one would somehow prevent deployment of others. Can't remember the thread... But it would be nuts if Toyota designed a system where a single missing wire or single airbag sensor was capable of disarming ALL airbags in the vehicle. Can you imagine the lawsuits?

HTH
Not being an expert, but the current needed to deploy an airbag is probably not very high. A potential concern is melting the resistor and thereby rendering the SRS system us functional during a collision. This is why I wonder wether a 2.2 ohm resistor is large enough.

I believe that question was answered previously...dispelling the rumor that disconnecting one would somehow prevent deployment of others. Can't remember the thread... But it would be nuts if Toyota designed a system where a single missing wire or single airbag sensor was capable of disarming ALL airbags in the vehicle. Can you imagine the lawsuits?
Markuson,
Where did you find that thread? From Toyota's perspective it might be saver to shut the whole SRS system off instead of risking an airbag malfunction

Markuson,
Where did you find that thread? From Toyota's perspective it might be saver to shut the whole SRS system off instead of risking an airbag malfunction

As you might have missed in my post... "Can't remember the thread..."

So don't count on it. I do distinctly remember it, but I suspect it came within some thread that is not indicated by the title, and might be hard to find. Still... It makes zero sense for any automaker to create a system so unsafe as to render the entire airbag system to fail if one wired seat shorts or is disabled.

HTH
What the resistor does is it provied the SRS ECU the same resistance the airbags in the 2nd row seats would produce if they were still present.

AFAIK the system will not fire every airbag at upon deployment but rather just the ones needed to protect the occupants. For example a passenger curtain airbag would not deploy in the event of a driver side collision with only the driver present.
Based on this understanding I feel it's safe to say it's better to have the SRS malfunction light eliminated while the 2nd row is removed under the understanding that any other SRS malfunction would trigger the light and bring concern to some other problem. I feels if you are going to remove an airbag it's better to cancel out a known fault so that the event of an unknown would be brought to your attention.

It should go without say that very little information is out there about the SRS system because of the nature of it and the liability can of worms the manufacturer would be opening by publishing it for the diy community to hack.

That said, if you don't feel comfortable working with airbags, don't do it.

As you might have missed in my post... "Can't remember the thread..."

So don't count on it. I do distinctly remember it, but I suspect it came within some thread that is not indicated by the title, and might be hard to find. Still... It makes zero sense for any automaker to create a system so unsafe as to render the entire airbag system to fail if one wired seat shorts or is disabled.

I believe You mentioned the SLEE shop truck (LX570) has a 2nd row seat removed for a fridge and they just roll with the SRS light on with the understanding that it shouldn't effect the operation of the others. You mentioned it in my build thread and said it came up in a conversation you had with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom