Radiator drain spigot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Among the many new parts my friend had collected before passing away, was an aftermarket radiator. This radiator does not have a drain spigot on the bottom. I've got the one from the original- any reason I can't have a nut welded in the correct spot and drill a hole through it? Seems kind of important to be able to drain everything out without the mess of undoing the hose.

Thanks

Mine was broke from the PO and then capped with pudding/clay/mystery stuff. I usually pull the lower rad hose anyway when draining. I have broke two on previous vehicles so I stay away.

Hey Brian, are you sure there's no drain on the bottom of that aftermarket radiator? Somebody on here once installed a radiator and eventually (while running the engine, I believe) found that the drain hole was actually taped-off and painted over. I know that seems unbelievable, but I thought I'd better mention it.

Among the many new parts my friend had collected before passing away, was an aftermarket radiator. This radiator does not have a drain spigot on the bottom. I've got the one from the original- any reason I can't have a nut welded in the correct spot and drill a hole through it? Seems kind of important to be able to drain everything out without the mess of undoing the hose.

Thanks

Hey Todd... brilliant! I didn't look close enough. Indeed, taped over. But now the next question: My old fitting doesn't make sense- doesn't look like there's any way to shut off the flow with this. There was probably a deeper piece in the radiator where the side holes got covered when it was screwed in all the way. Guess I'll have to get a newer valve that's self-contained. Now to figure out what the threads are.
Thanks

BB
IMG_1337.JPG

510bTRnRjrL._AC_US160_.jpg

I see that there's supposed to be an extension tube that my fitting screws into. Don't know where that might be. But my fitting doesn't really screw into this radiator- goes in 1 ½ turns- so it's not the right threads. I see Cruiser Parts has a version of this (extension tube and simple plug), but lists it as fitting '75-'84. Mine is '67.

Radiator Drain [96431-03873] - $26.52 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

Looks like it's time to delve into a good plumbing shop and come up with a good solution- I want to be able to drain off sediment easily.

The stock drains have some sort of odd British thread and, in my experience, are typically so corroded into place after all those years that they don't come out without damage. The aftermarket radiators mostly have plastic wing-nut-like plugs that are a bear to reach/open and that do not line up well with the hole in the mount. I make do with the aftermarket plugs, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

One alternative is the use of a coupler with a petcock in the lower radiator hose, as sold by Jegs. That works well on my trail truck and it's actually easier to drain than the stock set-up. It's just placed in the lower rad hose in a spot and orientation that's convenient.

upload_2016-11-15_17-36-51.png

I've heard that the petcocks can fail after a while. That sometimes you can't get them to close all the way again. Seems like draining by the hose may be more efficient especially if you have trash in the system.

It appears the new style radiator drain (top in the following picture) is interchangeable with the old style. I believe the threads on the stock OEM radiator are 3/8 BSPT.

I don't know what the threads are on the OP radiator, however.

upload_2016-11-17_21-24-35.png

Matchup showing threads to be identical:
upload_2016-11-17_21-25-35.png

There is a very recent thread on this in the classifieds. Both @pardion and @RAGINGMATT have what you need.

I searched the classifieds for 5 pages and also did a search for radiators and nothing showed up. Could you you be a bit more specific as to where this can be found please?

My radiator is an after-market model. The threads are different from the one I took out.

I just replaced the plastic drain plug that was in my ‘79 HJ45 radiator. Looks like after market radiator. The drain size turned out to be 12 mm 125 thread. I used an oil pan plug pending getting a petcock plug. This from NAPA and added a 8 mm O ring instead of solid ring
954FECA2-64B5-4881-BA4B-1CA8E38C64C4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom