Builds My LJ78 build thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys are amazing with your talents at DIY stuff. Very cool. I've just bought a 78 and will begin a scaled back version of your mods. Mostly because I don't have your skills. Great info and lots of help for someone in my shoes. I'm really good at BBQ-ing, if you want to bring your tools over! LOL
LOL! Road trip!

Great updates Jarrat! I really like the work you do. I like the temp switch idea for the intercooler; I think I'll do that too so I don't wear out my pump too fast.

So. I've done the EGR delete stuff but am to the point of getting the large throttle plate off. Screws strip as it appears they mash the underside once installed to keep them from coming out. Can I ask how you guys got them out? I took it to one of the machine shop guys in town and he didn't want to touch it. Ideas?

Another huge update... I've had great success and fails..

Going to update on some really old stuff first.

20160828_091204_zpsmxdminwn.jpg

When I first did my injectors, I had a louder diesel knock. Drove the truck around a couple times and ended up ordering a new set of nozzles again. When I went to swap them out again, I found one of the injectors weren't tightened properly. I must of missed it. So I installed the 2nd set of injectors and the truck ran better than ever for a couple days. Then slowly went back to how it was. (On cold start it misses for about 3-10 seconds then runs normal). I think however it might be slightly draining back into the gas tank allowing air to get in.

Last week my gas tank was almost empty and the truck had been sitting uphill over night and I went to start it and it won't start with 10 seconds of cranking. I popped the hood and pumped the fuel primer until it got hard and then within about 5 seconds of trying to start it again it fired up. With a buddy of mine having the same issue about a year ago, I ordered another fuel filter primer. Thoughts are that I think it's old and allowing the fuel to leak back into the tank. I will be replacing all the lines under the hood from the primer to the pump ect.... this weekend.

20161111_082203_zpszekyprub.jpg

*TRIDON* High Flow Thermostat For Toyota Hilux Surf (Diesel) LN130(G,W)Inc.Turbo | eBay

Bought a Tridon thermostat and wish I did it sooner. This is a major upgrade for my cooling system. Keeping my truck within 5 degrees all the time, even with a large hill climb.

20161029_091512_zpsehrsgpuu.jpg

You can see the difference in the port sizes with the factory sized one vs the Tridon.

This will not solve your over heating issues though, if you still do long pulls up a very long hill, I can see the truck still would over heat. This thermostat just helps a lot.

Last edited:
Had to tow the truck home the other week. Water pump shaft snapped. Temps shot up to above 95C then the over temp alarm went off and I was able to shut off the truck before things went bad.

IMG_20161030_145636_zpsmjnjpype.jpg

IMG_20161030_154135_zps8jtpgz8h.jpg

IMG_20161105_102604_zpsxjja5468.jpg

I ordered in another one and the trucks running good. Hopefully that was just a defective pump and I won't have that problem again. I'm keeping my OLD Toyota one in the back of the truck, hidden in a panel in case it happens again though.

Here is another mod I did. Seeing as I'm 260 LBS and when I switch my suspension seat on, it doesn't work because I'm too heavy. I pulled out the seat and moved (cut and welded) the position of one of the springs so it could take more weight.

20160918_103134_zpshkyhqcfu.jpg

20160918_105643_zpssjheurbh.jpg

20160918_112510_zps6vkskov9.jpg

It didn't take much from as seen from the first pic to the last, but that was more than enough for my weight and even goes low enough for my wife if she wanted to use it.

Oh yeah... my electric hubs. I managed to get them to work again. Turns out the system had a short in it through one of these hubs pieces. Took me a couple hours of ohm checking wires.

Luckily I had bought my buddies hubs off him when he went manuals on his LJ87 and I was able to swap out the part and now they work like factory again.

download_20161111_082138_zpsntr2npsf.jpg

I also had to clean up one of the motors..

20160808_165328_zpszkgmbjk1.jpg

Oh Yes... Wheel spacers. I'm only running 1" spacers on the back of the truck. I think it looks a lot better now with these factory rims.

20160806_160551_zpsulqmpb4p.jpg

Before and after wheel spacers...

Image2_zpsiuzepani.jpg

Last edited:
Here is some other random stuff I've done..

20160911_104633_zpsqdh9dj7r.jpg

This is my adapter that allowed my over temp switch and extra temp gauge to monitor after thermostat temps. Made two, one for me and one for my buddy with the same truck.

20160911_100247_zpsfufj7qlg.jpg

Close up pic of the compression fitting I modded for the 12v temp relay switches I'm using.

IMG_20160904_180522_zpsk39eipyk.jpg

Brewing up a IPA beer with one of my good friends.... another hobby I'm really into.

20161008_083040_zps9qoqb1oz.jpg

Another one of my land cruiser friends who made his own roof rack for his Canadian 70 series. Gave me all his extra parts to make another one... Just need some time a couple more pieces and someone that can weld aluminum then my roof rack will be done...

So other issues I'm having now, The motor has this intermittent small tick sound when its cold. (sounds like its coming from the vacuum pump). I bought the proper bearing for it, and will change it out next time I pull the truck in the garage and hope that fixes it.....

Also, the truck right side seems to have softer suspension. If I park the truck on level ground the truck sits level. But when I'm driving and the road has a slight angle to it, it feels like its leaning too much to the right (have had friends point it out to me also). I think it could be the springs, and I'll swap out the front two springs in the next couple weeks here when I have a couple of free hours to see if that helps.

Also these injectors are still not at 100%. Probably going to buy a bran new set off ebay and try them out. Might be me reusing the old heat shield seals, or the no name nozzles, ect... but the truck has this weird idle when I'm about to come to a stop. Once stopped it idles fine.

Any idea's welcome to help fix these issues.

Nice progress update!

I forgot about your big fan upgrade. I wonder if it is a bit out of balance and eventually fatigued the water pump shaft? I can't see the drag it's self breaking it.

Mine has the right lean too. Looking back all the ones with OME suspension have that. Some manufacturers of Prado suspension actually give taller springs for the right hand side to even it out. Personally I've wondered if we should be correcting our panhard rod length to compensate for the lift? I noticed my friends lifted 80 has a lengthened panhard. He also has drop links for his sway bars. Another thing we should probably do.

As you know I had exactly the same injector problem with the no name nozzles. Problem went away with Denso nozzles, but might just be coincidence?

Love the microbrew setup! I made my own fruit wine, cider and beer for years. Started drinking too much and had to stop...lol. I miss it though. Was a lot of fun.

I also did the front knuckles with a rebuild kit I got off RADD Cruisers a couple years back.

IMG_20160305_210326_zpscj67zkqw.jpg

The pic above has a pic of the front springs with the spacer....

and the bottom pic here as the rears, old vs. new.....

20160319_070827_zpshu0gvfhz.jpg

First off, thanks for these great posts, helpful!

Being that I'm in a third world country here, I don't really have easy access to many third party parts...which spacers are these?
If I can get the dimensions/specs I'm could get them machined here easily I'm sure (front/back)

I'm also wondering about how much Toyota shock absorbers would allow there, and if an inch or so spacer would mess it up... my Toyota ones are fairly new,

Btw Old Man Emu/ARB absolutely useless (or maybe lack of interest) in letting me know if there are any vendors in C.America...

First off, thanks for these great posts, helpful!

Being that I'm in a third world country here, I don't really have easy access to many third party parts...which spacers are these?
If I can get the dimensions/specs I'm could get them machined here easily I'm sure (front/back)

I'm also wondering about how much Toyota shock absorbers would allow there, and if an inch or so spacer would mess it up... my Toyota ones are fairly new,

Btw Old Man Emu/ARB absolutely useless (or maybe lack of interest) in letting me know if there are any vendors in C.America...

I got the spacers off ebay for reaaaaly cheap. Cheaper than it would be for me to buy the aluminum and studs and machine them myself.
Just search "2 Toyota 1" Inch Wheel Spacers Adapters 6x5.5"|12x1.5 Fits All 6 Lug Pickups" on ebay..

Not too sure on the second question about shock absorbers...

Most 4x4 parts stores online carry Old Man Emu.. shouldn't be hard to get information from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom