New seatbelt alternative using 79-series belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
First off. The following info is just a demonstration of my own personal project. Modifying or using non-original parts for the seatbelt system is untested and potentially dangerous. The owner (you) assumes all liability and responsibility for any injury or death resulting from modifications to, or use of non-original parts for, the seatbelt system.

Now that is out of the way… Hello everyone,

So as we should all be aware our cruisers are not getting any younger. One system we should all address sooner rather than later is the original seat belts. Over time the nylon webbing loses its strength and replacing it with a new belt system is a good idea. Now Toyota currently only sells the driver’s side belt, and only in grey (7322090A1703). The passenger side belt and both receivers are long gone. So where does that leave someone wanting new belts? Some have used the Seatbelt Planet belts with success: FJ60 Seat Belt Replacement . Recently though @boozewz showed that the 79 series front seat belts bolt right in!: 1989 GCC Spec FJ62 G Trim . There is also the possibility of other Toyota seatbelt systems bolting in as well. I personally loved the idea of using new Toyota parts, especially LC parts, to update the old front seat belts. Color options for the front belts from the 79-series are black (as shown in the link above), Oak (which is a light brownish) and grey. There is also a blue-grey color offered in older pre-2009 79-series. I have no idea on how they fit though. I decided to hunt down the grey belts (from a 200-2012 VDJ79) for my grey interior. To get the parts I would have to order them pretty much sight unseen since they would have to come from overseas. However, @boozewz was kind enough to go out of his way to check with his local Toyota parts dealer and sent me pics of the grey color, and @Locked79 took pics of his grey seat belts in his 79-series. This community is beyond awesome to say the least.

After staring at too many parts diagrams, I figured out the correct part numbers for the grey seat belts are as follows: Inner left receiver 73240-60242-B2; Inner right receiver 73230-60331-B1; Outer left seatbelt 73210-60662-B1; Outer right seatbelt 73220-60522-B1 . I also plan on ordering a new bolt for each retractor since they didn’t come with one and I don’t want to reuse the old ones. I believe the part number is 90105-A0163.

I ordered the belts through Amayama. The ONLY way I was able to get the receivers was through @reevesci . If I had know in the first place he could get these kind of parts I would have purchased the belts from him as well. Belts cost me about $137 each and the receivers were about $50-60 each.

Here are the left and right belts:
29735723570_147f37f8af_c.jpg

The 79-series belt (right) next to a brand new 62-series grey belt (left). You can see a slight difference in the grey but still a good match overall. You will also notice a small difference in the top mounting screw plate, which I will address a little later.
30608489496_1ddf358c00_c.jpg

30011120743_0f7f2b18a5_c.jpg

30579444751_702bde89a2_c.jpg

Also the 79 series belts don’t come with a little retainer clip like the 60-series belts so it is important to reuse this to keep the belt against the B-pillar and off the cover:
30644713455_1603f10f0c_c.jpg

Here is the driver’s side receiver. It is shorter than the original:
29714343214_d0af58bf96_c.jpg

But when mounted with BMW seats, it still is long enough to easily buckle up. I don’t know how they would work with stock seats (I'll try and test this when I get to ripping out the interior but that could be a while). I tested the receiver height with my lady (5’5” tall) and myself (6’) and we could both use it just fine after adjusting the seat to our preferred driving positions:
30258447721_36c98ac5f5_c.jpg

The plug for the seat belt warning light is different but I plan to cut the new plug off and splice on the old plug. The wires on the new receiver are much shorter than the original but the splicing will take care of that as well:
30607598376_71c86a8707_c.jpg

And now the only real difference in the belts, the little screw tab:
30344057200_567398f172_c.jpg

As you can see the 79-series belt retractor is a little shorter than the 62 series. The little hole for the screw doesn’t line up. To get around this (and what @boozewz also did) I am going to grind off the little 90-degree tab. I plan on using a small piece of metal to bridge the difference to mount the top securely. I think the purpose of the little screw is to just keep the receivers from moving side to side in the B-pillar cut out. I'll post up pics later of this.

I am very happy that I will have a brand new seatbelt system in the front. A huge thank you to @boozewz for this brilliant alternative and @reevesci for the parts. :clap: This really is a great community. :cheers:

Last edited:
Nice write-up Chase. Looking forward to doing this as well.
These are not permanently installed yet so we can test the receiver length with your new seat setup if you want before you buy them.

Nice write up. looking forward to fitment feedback with stock seats.

Very nice. However a problem you guys are going to run into is that upper tab on the spool is there for a reason, over time the spool will shift every so slightly one way and the inertia lock will kick in. You'll be driving and the seatbelt will just lock. I've retrofitted seatbelts into other vehicles before and this was an issue I had. It looks like you could drill a hole for that 90 degree tab pretty easily, or go the extreme route and do that as well as a tab holding a captive nut so you can put an upper bolt in as well. If I put these seat belts in I will do this for sure.

Thanks for doing the legwork you guys!!

Very nice. However a problem you guys are going to run into is that upper tab on the spool is there for a reason, over time the spool will shift every so slightly one way and the inertia lock will kick in. You'll be driving and the seatbelt will just lock. I've retrofitted seatbelts into other vehicles before and this was an issue I had. It looks like you could drill a hole for that 90 degree tab pretty easily, or go the extreme route and do that as well as a tab holding a captive nut so you can put an upper bolt in as well. If I put these seat belts in I will do this for sure.

You bring up a good point! I forgot about the little inertia ball. Should be an easy work around. I'll post up what I do for that. Thanks!

Will definitely now be looking into that! Thanks!

FWIW, I installed the same belts into my HZJ80, and they fit like a glove. The 80 even has the hole on the B pillar to accommodate the upper 90 degree tab. Plug and play.

No problem, I retrofitted front seatbelts on what was my most recent temporary daily driver and basically about once a month the drivers seatbelt would lock and every two weeks the passenger seatbelt would lock. Had a 19mm ratchet in the backseat to quickly get out, unbolt the spool, unlock the inertia lock, and bolt it back in. Had it down to about 1.5 minutes. Total PITA.

This is so cool. Thanks guys for posting this up. I need to start on my interior so I think I might go in this direction. I been wanting to go with black seat belts but I have a question about the rear seat belts. Is there a replacement aftermarket that mounts in same place of an orig. 62 series? I was thinking of having my belts sent out to get re webbed but I rather go aftermarket if possible.

@red66toy Chase - do you have a rear set of belts currently? I didn't think you had a belts back there from our last conversation in your 62.

Anyone have the rear belts to measure and compare lengths / retractor dimensions?

@reevesci Jason you mentioned this as a future project you had, are you able to help with measurements on a set you have?

@red66toy Chase - do you have a rear set of belts currently? I didn't think you had a belts back there from our last conversation in your 62.

Anyone have the rear belts to measure and compare lengths / retractor dimensions?

@reevesci Jason you mentioned this as a future project you had, are you able to help with measurements on a set you have?

I have new OEM rear shoulder belts. Is that what you want measurements from?

J

I just have the lap belts. Our 62 was born a few months too early to get the shoulder belts. I may try the non-retractable OEM option that $OR lists as that is a bolt in solution.

I have new OEM rear shoulder belts. Is that what you want measurements from?

J

Yes, was wondering if the same set could fit in the back seat or if another 70 series kit would work as a retrofit.

Thought length measurements of an OEM rear set to compare to the front retractable belts listed above would be a starting point.

I understand that some 88 FJ62's may be rear shoulder belt ready. I can tell by the VIN or is there another easy tell?

I have both new 60 fronts and rears, I'll check. IIRC the rears are a bit shorter.

J
And the retractors have different mounts right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom