1HZ vacuum ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting a 1HZ/H55F into a FJ45. The HZJ75 that I pulled the motor out of did not have vacuum assist brakes. It was a Miller Tech. truck with hydraulic brakes.

I can get a electric vacuum pump but I would rather not go that route. Just wondering what the 1HZ had to prduce vacuum? Was it off the alternator? If so, where can I get one?

Thanks.

There was pump mounted on the front of the engine. not belt driven. I think it is gear driven from inside.

Is there a blanking cover over the hole?

There are some 1HZ that comes with vacc pump in the block gear driven .. also other comes with vaccum pump back in the alternator .. you have both options to do that ...

Thanks, any pics of these 2 setups? Greatly appreciated.

This is the pump on my 1HZ and it is gear driven as BB mentioned.

The steel pipe is for lubrication ,the large rubber hose goes to the brake booster and I use the small pipe for the vac shift solenoids and aircon fast idle up.
robs pics 027 (Small).jpg

Thanks RoscoFJ73

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to see.

My 1HZ has a plate there. I figured it had to have run something. I guess Miller Tech felt that the vacuum pump was not necessary.

Now, where to get one? Anybody got a part # for that vacuum pump.

Again, thanks and any help is greatly appreciated.
John

Grease Cruiser said:
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to see.

My 1HZ has a plate there. I figured it had to have run something. I guess Miller Tech felt that the vacuum pump was not necessary.

Now, where to get one? Anybody got a part # for that vacuum pump.

Again, thanks and any help is greatly appreciated.
John

If you can't get a 1HZ vacc pump .. think in the alternator pump option ..

john-
pzj, hzj, and hdj pumps for 12 valves are all interchangable. rebuild kits are relativly cheap once the pump (try greg/sheldon @g&s) is found.

non oe:

electric would be my first choice over installing a more "service difficult" alternator/vacuum option. An alt/vac system will make it pretty crowded over near your water outlet and *turbo* install.

rick_d said:
john-
pzj, hzj, and hdj pumps for 12 valves are all interchangable. rebuild kits are relativly cheap once the pump (try greg/sheldon @g&s) is found.

non oe:

electric would be my first choice over installing a more "service difficult" alternator/vacuum option. An alt/vac system will make it pretty crowded over near your water outlet and *turbo* install.

rick_d: Thanks. I concur. I just don't care for the noise out of the electric vacuum pumps. I know, I know, you don't hear it after the engine is running but it kind of bugs me when you turn the key.

I might see what a vacuum pump runs. If it is outrageous, I'll be going electric. Thanks to all those with input.
John

Part #

So, someone told me that the 1HZ vacuum part # is:
#29300-17010

Can anyone verify this for me before I dish out the $1,000 for it? Thanks in advance.
John

That's the correct part number for the pump itself (for all years of 80 series diesels), but doesn't include the lube line and fittings you will also require.

I'm sure you could source a complete used setup from someone in Aust. much cheaper.

hdj105 said:
That's the correct part number for the pump itself (for all years of 80 series diesels), but doesn't include the lube line and fittings you will also require.

I'm sure you could source a complete used setup from someone in Aust. much cheaper.

Or you could buy this used one i have sitting here on the shelf.

Japan4X4 said:
Or you could buy this used one i have sitting here on the shelf.
PM sent. How much and where are you located?

I am having trouble figuring out how to get my fast AC idle kick up to work on my recently converted FJ62 with a 1HZ. Anyone got a pic of where the vacuum house is supposed to be routed to? The revs drop to the point the truck feels like it will stall as soon as I turn the AC if we're sitting still. Once the truck moves its fine.

Much appreciated!

I just plugged all of mine back into the 3F solenoids. I think mine went from the pump to a t junction near the vac pump. One hose went to the 4wd solenoid. I put the T junction in .
The other was for the aircon fast idle solenoid. A hose went from the aircon fast idle solenoid to the fast idle mechanism.

The 60 series set up was the same as the 7* series and it was easy to get it all working off the 1HZ vac pump.
On the 3F you would have been getting vacuum from the manifold ,so the vacuum pump takes the place of that

What do you have set up so far. Do you have the fast idle solenoid,most likely on the left hand side(carb side) of the engine?

I just plugged all of mine back into the 3F solenoids. I think mine went from the pump to a t junction near the vac pump. One hose went to the 4wd solenoid. I put the T junction in .
The other was for the aircon fast idle solenoid. A hose went from the aircon fast idle solenoid to the fast idle mechanism.

The 60 series set up was the same as the 7* series and it was easy to get it all working off the 1HZ vac pump.
On the 3F you would have been getting vacuum from the manifold ,so the vacuum pump takes the place of that

What do you have set up so far. Do you have the fast idle solenoid,most likely on the left hand side(carb side) of the engine?

The vac line from my FIP runs to a T on the left side inner fender, and from there a line runs all the way to the dryer(?) by the left side of the radiator (under the auxiliary battery). Does that sound about right?

The hoses should plug into a solenoid somewhere. When you turn the aircon on, the solenoid sends vacuum to the fast idle contraption which makes it idle faster.
When you turn the aircon on ,do you get vacuum at the hose to the fast idle? Can you get vacuum to the solenoids on the side?

The hoses should plug into a solenoid somewhere. When you turn the aircon on, the solenoid sends vacuum to the fast idle contraption which makes it idle faster.
When you turn the aircon on ,do you get vacuum at the hose to the fast idle? Can you get vacuum to the solenoids on the side?

Thanks. Yes the idle pick up for the AC is not kicking in when the AC is on.

Never done a vacuum test so searched on the inter webs and it seems using starting fluid is a cheap easy trick to try to find leaks. Does that still work with a diesel?

I am also in touch with a guy I know at the Toyota dealer, so we may get him to have a look tomorrow. Will report back findings.

Usually you can find where the vacuum is and isn't by putting your finger on the hose. If you are getting vac at the fast idle thing,then that is the problem.
You could also test it by running a hose direct to the vac pump and see if that makes it work.
If there is vac before the aircon solenoid ,but none on the other side when turned on , then the solenoid or the wiring is faulty.
Its a simple case of determining where there is vacuum and where there isn't.
Starting fluid wont be of much use for this, not that I can see.
If you suspect it has leaks,I would buy some new hose and fit it with a dab of sealant on the fitting if its not tight enough.

@roscoFJ73 Just following up on this thread. We ended up discovering there was no vacuum going into the air con solenoid. So we did a quick fix and punched a hole in the main vac line, and connected the line from there, and sealed it with silicone. Will need to find a T fitting that fits the sizes needed to make this look legit. For now it works well and is idling up whenever AC is on.

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom