Bilstein 6112 front/5100 rear with stock air bags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I figure you are at $180 difference between the 5100 and the 6112.
Bilstein 5100 - $175
OME Springs - $167 (for example)
Strut assembly on 5100's - $134
Total - $476

Bilstein 6112 - $659 (Currently on sale at Wheelers Offroad)

157434-chevy-chase-no-math-gif-meme-I-9NDX.jpeg

I paid a lot more for mine, but I went with Radflo 2.5 all around and long travel MetalTech

Adding the Toytec front coil to the 6112s is a good idea. The front coils that come with the 6112s do seem a little soft to me. They may be a better match for the lighter FJC and 4Runner.

I'm running the 6112/5160 combo with stock airbags. On the second from the bottom perch I have a perfectly level stance. I agree with Hoosier that the springs are a little soft (wife thinks they are perfect though). If you are planning on a bumper I think the Toytec coils would be good to invest in. If you are on the fence about 6112s, I would just look at an OME set up instead. There was a rather lengthy thread on the 4 runner forum with people complaining about 5100s ride and limits of their travel. That's why I went with 6112s along with I think they are slightly larger. Also keep in mind the 8100 series is being announced at SEMA in a couple weeks. Who knows if there will be kits for us.

Where do we buy the 6112 shock separately and what's the part number for the GX470? I'm int he same boat, in that I want to get a stiffer spring for future bumper/winch/dual batt, but can't seem to find it outside of the package deal and even the package deals are confusing as there is no GX, but both the new 4runner part number and old FJ part number have been discussed as the way to go when reading online.

Just to throw it out there, does anyone with Fox coilovers have a part number for the GX? I may go that route instead. I've run Bilstein for 16 years on Rovers and have had many issues with them blowing oil and having to be rebuilt. Can't get Bilstein warranty for the GX470 either since they are not approved by Bilstein for use on the GX470.

Also keep in mind the 8100 series is being announced at SEMA in a couple weeks. Who knows if there will be kits for us.

My understanding is that the 8100 series are drastically different and remote reservoir shocks developed for the racing market. I ran 7100's with RR for a long time and I think these are an even higher $$$, higher performance shock. I would expect they are available in cutom valving just like the 7100's. Expect to pay huge amounts more than the 6112.

I have quite a grasp of suspension and how it works... This is not my first vehicle I have built or modified... I have worked on and built everything from moms daily driver to class winning KOH rigs to endurance track cars...

Throwing a lot around here. If you have built endurance "track cars" and have poor things to say about the Bilstein brand I find that inconsistent and a red flag. The PSS9 is/was one of the best entry level dampers around for sports car applications. I have people who have thousands of miles on 5100's with no issues. Once again, I am not saying it CANT happen but the failure rate to success is much more the positive side for the brand.

Following this thread closely = totally rad.

Looks like I'll be picking up a '06 GX - I found a super clean one with 86K miles, and no nav. I'm ecstatic!

I'm coming from a Sport Edition '05 V8 Runner with the hydraulically-connected shock system (XREAS) that makes it handle almost like a sedan. This new GX will be a daily driver for 98% of its work, here at 6000 feet in Utah so it needs some pep as well. So I'll be doing some tweaks possibly like headers.

I'm looking for something similar to this setup (Bilstein 5100 or 6100 up front, I think, 5100s in the rear?). Just a couple inches (I think 2" up front) and likely tricking to rear, or moving to coils. I do tow here and there so I need about a 1/2" larger in the rear and the airbags, at least as they are functional, will actually be helpful.

What is important to me is handling characteristics at high speed on the freeways, just as my V8 4Runner does, and plus a little high and decent ride quality. I basically want it all! But I will say the existing 4 Runner is close! Then some decent off road ability but nothing insane, just for the rough roads she'll sometimes see.

What do you guys think -- this setup a good way to go? Other suggestions?

thakns!

Last edited:
Following this thread closely = totally rad.

Looks like I'll be picking up a '06 GX - I found a super clean one with 86K miles, and no nav. I'm ecstatic!

I'm coming from a Sport Edition '05 V8 Runner with the shock system that makes it handle almost like a sedan. This new GX will be a daily driver for 98% of its work, here at 6000 feet in Utah so it needs some pep as well. So I'll be doing some tweaks possibly like headers.

I'm looking for something similar to this setup (Bilstein 5100 or 6100 up front, I think, 5100s in the rear?). Just a couple inches (I think 2" up front) and likely tricking to rear, or moving to coils. I do tow here and there so I need about a 1/2" larger in the rear and the airbags, at least as they are functional, will actually be helpful.

What is important to me is handling characteristics at high speed on the freeways, just as my V8 4Runner does, and plus a little high and decent ride quality. I basically want it all! But I will say the existing 4 Runner is close! Then some decent off road ability but nothing insane, just for the rough roads she'll sometimes see.

What do you guys think -- this setup a good way to go? Other suggestions?

thakns!

I"m assuming your '05 has XREAS? If so, you may have to lower your expectations with any aftermarket shocks.

I"m assuming your '05 has XREAS? If so, you may have to lower your expectations with any aftermarket shocks.
Yup, correct it's xreas. I put the deposit down today. All ears on recommendations for best handling while having a 2-3" lift, and if the bilstein / factory airbag is a good combo. Thanks again

Yup, correct it's xreas. I put the deposit down today. All ears on recommendations for best handling while having a 2-3" lift, and if the bilstein / factory airbag is a good combo. Thanks again

We don't have the same vehicle so this may not be applicable but I'll be going with Icon 2" rear springs + shocks and 6112s up front. A hidden winch behind factory bumper will be the only additional weight up front. The rear cargo will be fairly light, maybe a crude cargo drawer in the future.

It is my understanding that ICON suspension kits are not compatible with XREAS so makes me wonder about any other aftermarket kits?

Let's clear up this point. XREAS is only referring to a fancy shock system but the GX's have electric adj up front, while the 4Runner have no adj shocks up front. You can replace the rear shocks with any other shocks of your choice. Up front, you can also replace the strut with any other strut of your choice while re-using the factory springs up front AND in the rear. Someone with more knowledge about the KDSS can speak to that system.

Now, most folks want a lift so they opt for higher lb/in rated springs on all four corners and a set of shocks appropriately valved for their driving style. My vehicle came with the XREAS system that the PO removed.

It wont work WITH XREAS, but it can if you remove it. Same thing with the AHC on the GX. Just swap it out and disable the system.

I hate the puck systems but maybe it just makes sense to shim / add a spacer assuming this GX comes with the AHC (I honestly don't know if it will), if that's what I'm looking for.

I did this on my XREAS 4 Runner, I added just a 1" puck for about 1.75" up front, turned out awesome according to my needs. I do wish overall the setup was about 1" taller front and rear though.

I like the airbags on the rear of the GX again because I tow. If the ride quality is there. I am totally cool with tricking the sensors and trying to keep the system running, with luck. Replacement airbargs actually aren't too expensive via RockAuto, though I know there are lots of moving pieces.

I know this is a 4WD forum - so sorry for this. I swear the rig will see some "expediion" use, just stockish + a 2" min lift. Just looking for the best option but closer to 2-3" on this truck to make it more masculine and mine, and less femine. Tires will remain deep 16/32" E rated, but stock. So they look cool and are beefy, but smaller and stock. It won't look odd at all with a 2-3" lift. The stock tires are for the big mountain passes and to keep mileage somewhat descent.

I read all about the 6112 Bilsteins last night. Very cool. Open to this, plus 5100s in the rear and the stock airbags. Also considering OME as well well, perhaps. I like that I can do 620 or 660 springs up front with Old Man Emu (or Moog FJ Cruiser springs). I don't need the Lexus plushness, but don't want it too nasty either. I am OK with mixing and matching but I'd love to learn from all your experiences, not have to experiement like a Mofo like many of you did.

As noted, I'm totally happy with my very-stiff XREAS setup now on my lighter 05 immaculate rust free V8 4 Runner (for sale, hehem). But I'll never consider adding it to the GX, just doesn't make sense to do that. I'd rather go quality aftermarket.

thanks as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom