Rear Axle Build Help. RTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would suggest you direct these questions to the supplier of the Nitro axles and housings.

Id guess shafts are too long based on your description and scenario. Easy to measure wrong if you just jabbed a tape measure in there... itll roll around the cross pin and give you a slightly-too-long measurement.

I would suggest you direct these questions to the supplier of the Nitro axles and housings.

If I hadn't had some many issues with the supplier already I would definitely make that my first call, because of all those problems I do not have confidence in the vendor at this point. Trying to get them to correct this would only delay my project more. Unfortunately, I want it done right and feel I can do a better job than they have so far.

I unbolted one hub axle flange, with the 1/8 inch gap the I can turn the hub by hand. It is still tight but doable. I can also turn it easily at the pinion flange.

The axle shafts are 35" long not including the flange. The center of the pinion shaft to the outer hub surface is 35 3/8 inches. That would only leave 3/4 inches in between the axle shafts. Is that enough room?

If I hadn't had some many issues with the supplier already I would definitely make that my first call, because of all those problems I do not have confidence in the vendor at this point. Trying to get them to correct this would only delay my project more. Unfortunately, I want it done right and feel I can do a better job than they have so far.

I unbolted one hub axle flange, with the 1/8 inch gap the I can turn the hub by hand. It is still tight but doable. I can also turn it easily at the pinion flange.

The axle shafts are 35" long not including the flange. The center of the pinion shaft to the outer hub surface is 35 3/8 inches. That would only leave 3/4 inches in between the axle shafts. Is that enough room?

Thats not how you measure axle shaft lengths. You sound in over your head... ugh.

Take the shafts out and use a large diameter dowel to measure the distance to the hub flange. Then cut 1/8 short of that length.

Exactly, I admitted earlier I didn't know how to measure the shaft length. Thanks for the help with measurement. I will try that now.

Exactly, I admitted earlier I didn't know how to measure the shaft length. Thanks for the help with measurement. I will try that now.
Sorry. I am frustrated for you. I suspect youll just have to trim the shafts a little bit with a grinder once done. Good luck.

Take the shafts out and use a large diameter dowel to measure the distance to the hub flange. Then cut 1/8 short of that length.

I measure using the dowel, and got a fraction over 35 1/16th inches, less 1/8th would bring the desired length to 34 9/16th inches. According to this the axles is 1/16th inch too long. Which would explain the 1/8th inch gap I am getting. The opposite side does not have the tension when the other flange is unbolted.

Looks like I will be trimming 1/8th of an inch off of each axle. Any other thoughts before I do that?

I appreciate the help.

I measure using the dowel, and got a fraction over 35 1/16th inches, less 1/8th would bring the desired length to 34 9/16th inches. According to this the axles is 1/16th inch too long. Which would explain the 1/8th inch gap I am getting. The opposite side does not have the tension when the other flange is unbolted.

Looks like I will be trimming 1/8th of an inch off of each axle. Any other thoughts before I do that?

I appreciate the help.
What length are the current axles? 35.0625 - .125 does not equal 34.5625 so im skeptical about your math. Did both sides measure the same with the dowel?

Your right I typed my math wrong. I measured and got 35 1/16 inches with the dowel subtracted 1/8th and ended up with 34 15/16 inches. both sides measured the same. I

I already cut both axles to 34 7/8, I took 1/8th of an inch off each axle. The first one is already in and there was a noticeable difference, the flange seated nicely without and resistance like before. the second will be done in a few minutes.

If I screwed this up please feel free to tell me so.

Ok, so taking a chop saw to brand new axle shafts was not what I hoped I would not have to do. Thanks for all the help in getting to the solution "so I think."

I cut 1/8th inch off each axle shaft, cleaned them up and put it back together. This time they both assembled like they should. The gap at the flange is gone and I am not getting any more tension forcing the axle flange away from the hub. I can turn both hub normally by hand and the pinion too. So it looks like it is all good to go.

Again I really appreciate everyone's help here!

I am aiming to take it for a test drive later today I will check back and give an update after.

Took it for a test run. It went really well no weird noises from the axle, no leaks, no extra play in the hubs. I think it is all good. I need to adjust the emergency brake but that is it.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom