This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my e-brake light is turning on randomly. At first I thought it was just the electrical circuit issue causing the light to indicate that the e-brake was still engaged although it was not. But some research how now shown me that the e-brake light indicates the e-brake being engaged, brake fluid level, and issues with the brakes themselves. This was surprising to me given the vehicle is from 1989...

Brake fluid is full (according to the reservoir). Brakes don't feel mushy, aren't grinding at all.

Any thoughts?

(1989 HJ61 Turbo Diesel 12HT engine)

It only does 2 things AFAIK and that it tells you when the handbrake is engaged or if the fluid is low. However ,occasionally owners have a problem with the low fluid sensor.
I would see if it comes on when there is no fluid to ascertain that it works first.
Or maybe you have a problem with the switch under the hand brake lever.
Sometimes a short in the dash can cause red lights to come on randomly ,but usually you have more than one symptom.

It only does 2 things AFAIK and that it tells you when the handbrake is engaged or if the fluid is low. However ,occasionally owners have a problem with the low fluid sensor.
I would see if it comes on when there is no fluid to ascertain that it works first.
Or maybe you have a problem with the switch under the hand brake lever.
Sometimes a short in the dash can cause red lights to come on randomly ,but usually you have more than one symptom.

So, the fluid WAS super low. But it's still coming on even though I've filled the reservoir. I'll lift up the boot on the e-brake and see if there's anything weird happening with the wiring

If fluid level is ok and your switch is clean the remaining option is to unplug the sensor!
Gone is the annoying light and now you just visual the reservoir.

On my BJ74, there is a 3rd way for the brake warning light to be triggered.
There is a vacuum sensor on the brake booster's vacuum reservoir (can).
Brake fluid level, handbrake set, or low vacuum make the light come on.

On my BJ74, there is a 3rd way for the brake warning light to be triggered.
There is a vacuum sensor on the brake booster's vacuum reservoir (can).
Brake fluid level, handbrake set, or low vacuum make the light come on.

Yes , I forgot about that. I think that is for all 7* series and 6* series Landcruisers with vacuum assisted brakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom