Found a new project truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

great story - cool truck :cheers: :cool:

One of the best investments I have found to keep junk out of your carb (some of those inlines are just rock catchers). Ran them exclusively on the boat with rusty tanks, and decided to put one in the 40;
[120at]parker racor fuel filter/water separator, 10 micron
Well worth the money, mine even had a bracket to mount it.:cool:
Racor.JPG

One of the best investments I have found to keep junk out of your carb (some of those inlines are just rock catchers). Ran them exclusively on the boat with rusty tanks, and decided to put one in the 40;
[120at]parker racor fuel filter/water separator, 10 micron
Well worth the money, mine even had a bracket to mount it.:cool:
View attachment 1322126
Damn that's a good idea. Not cheap, but I may have to do that. Without using you as my google too much, are there cheaper options that do a decent job?

Might check with Merle's.

Depending on how long it last price isn't too bad. Won't use it on my FJ62/3FE. 7PSI is to low for anything then a carb when used on a gas engine.

It is the initial expense for the body, then the occasional replacement of the filtering element (dependent on your supply situation).
I use the R12S. When running the boat with Mexican gas in Rocky Point (and cruddy tanks) I would replace after every season.
Racor R12S Replacement Element - R12S 2 micron Racor - Star Marine Depot

In the 40, I actually got 5 years after the first install before an element change and when it became time to rebuild the carb, it was spotless inside.:cool:

It is the initial expense for the body, then the occasional replacement of the filtering element (dependent on your supply situation).
I use the R12S. When running the boat with Mexican gas in Rocky Point (and cruddy tanks) I would replace after every season.
Racor R12S Replacement Element - R12S 2 micron Racor - Star Marine Depot

In the 40, I actually got 5 years after the first install before an element change and when it became time to rebuild the carb, it was spotless inside.:cool:
Awesome, great info. Makes sense that it's a housing with replaceable inner. Cheers!

awesome!

Nothing like the sound of a well tuned inline at idle, reminds me of an old school sewing machine.:cool:

Tim, after what you have accomplished to this point, I have no question you will solve the idle issue.
Need to shake your hand someday.:cheers:

Thank you sir. I appreciate that. I've been trying to push myself mechanically and I make a lot of mistakes, but I learn a lot.:beer::cheers:

Nothing like the sound of a well tuned inline at idle, reminds me of an old school sewing machine.:cool:

Tim, after what you have accomplished to this point, I have no question you will solve the idle issue.
Need to shake your hand someday.:cheers:

I was going to say Knock Knock, who's there, but now it just doesn't seem funny. Once I got the idle sorted on ol Tonto Rockford I could hear a knock. With a screw driver I hunted it back to #6 which makes sense. So, with some help from a buddy named Bill (He is my Toyota god I'm glad to call a friend) he let me know what to look for.

I pulled the pan and before I got a chance to pull the rod end to check the bearing I could see plainly some gouging in the cylinder wall. Damn... one side was shallow and barely there, but the other.... it was deep and sharp. Gutted.

That's not something I can fix with hand tools. I think I've reached the end of my DIY for now. Time to figure out what to do next.

Random cell phone photos that don't show much, but my view tonight.

The deeper gouging shows in this one.

GREAT Thread... Hope you engine issue turns out to be a small problem and not a big one. I am subscribed for the ride!! Nice find here too...

Out of curiosity, what kind of plane was the wasp nest on when you when to get the 40p..?? Looks like it was in need of rescuing too... Pitot tube was all blocked with dirt or something else... Shame!

That cylinder scoring seems really low on the piston skirt. Like something in the oil pan jumped up and got caught rather than something falling in from the more common top side (e.g., debris from changing plugs). Then again ... maybe it looks like corrosion/rust from sitting: is that cylinder directly under the carb?

Let us know what you find.

GREAT Thread... Hope you engine issue turns out to be a small problem and not a big one. I am subscribed for the ride!! Nice find here too...
Out of curiosity, what kind of plane was the wasp nest on when you when to get the 40p..?? Looks like it was in need of rescuing too... Pitot tube was all blocked with dirt or something else... Shame!

Thanks! Fingers crossed. I am debating my next step. I like doing as much as I can myself, but I'm at the point where I need machinery I don't have. That plane had a prop strike at the dirt air field a few years back. The owner and mechanic are planning to head down and get it flyable again soon they said.

That cylinder scoring seems really low on the piston skirt. Like something in the oil pan jumped up and got caught rather than something falling in from the more common top side (e.g., debris from changing plugs). Then again ... maybe it looks like corrosion/rust from sitting: is that cylinder directly under the carb?

Let us know what you find.
It sure is, I was wondering if the top of the push-rod that broke off ended up down there and did some damage before I shut it down and started pulling the engine apart. It's not too far from the carb being #6, but there are closer ones. I haven't looked at the rod bearing yet, we'll see how bad it is. I'll update as I go!

Prime candidate for one of the "spotted while driving" threads. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom