For Sale 1988 FJ 62 Toyota Land Cruiser - CLEAN with Chevy 6.0L V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NEED HER GONE - Take a Look at my Craigslist Post. Please, contact me with serious interest only at 818-355-5522.

Thank you!

1988 FJ 62 Toyota Land Cruiser - CLEAN with Chevy 6.0L V8

This rig is SERIOUSLY clean. I ABSOLUTELY love it to death, but need to get rid of it because I can't drive it every day, don't really have a place to store it, and, most importantly, I just had a newborn and need to prioritize family first. It is a California and Arizona car, so there is ABSOLUTELY not a lick of rust on it. The first picture is when I powdercoated the bumper. The other pictures did not have the powdercoat on it yet. Needed to wait a week for my paint guy to be free and squeeze me in.

You will see below that I have a Chevy V8 motor in it. The motor and transmission were FULLY rebuilt and I have only driven 2,000 miles on the new parts. The motor came out of a 2003 GMC Sierra. Runs CHERRIES!

Here are the additions that I have made to the car:
Chevrolet 2500 Motor (6.0L) with 4L80 Transmission that puts down 296 rear wheel hp and 330 rear wheel torque (have the dyno paperwork) - Cost me $20,000 for the whole deal to do it right.
Custom made Cold Air Intake - $350
Custom Exhaust with Magnaflow Muffler - $750
BRAND new Aluminum Radiator with two 10" Fans - $600
Specter Off Road 3" Lift with Heavy Duty Springs - Cost me $2,500
Drilled and Slotted front Rotors - $350
BRAND new wired and installed sound system (JBL Amp and Speakers with Alpine Head Unit) - $800
Brand New Warn Front Hub Locks - $220
Spartan Front Locker - $300
ARB Rear Air Locker - When I bought it, it was $1,500 including installation
Gobi Stealth Roof Rack - $1,500
Custom Made Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier, and Gas Can Holder - $3,000 (I still have the original)
Custom Made Front Bumper from TLC 4x4 that has been powder coated - $2,200 (I still have the original)
Custom Made Rock Sliders - $700
50" Light Bar - $500
22" Light Bar - $300
BRAND new 33X15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires with literally only 100 miles on them. - $1,200
Brand New Trunk and Rear Seat Carpet - $300
A/C works perfect!

As you can see, I have put A LOT of work into this car. The oil was just changed, the hubs and diffs were just serviced. The front differential was just COMPLETELY rebuilt when I put in the front locker only 100 miles / 2 months ago. The brake booster and all brake components have been rebuilt / put new. This rig gets me thumbs up and looks like you wouldn't believe.

Call me with serious interest only and I will give you more details. As you can see from the pictures, the car is in PRISTINE condition. The interior looks just as good as the exterior.

Last edited:
Dude, where's your snorkel? You could be asking twice that with a snorkel. You don't even have to plumb it!

Dude, where's your snorkel? You could be asking twice that with a snorkel. You don't even have to plumb it!

Poor guy...you really do need a different hobby. I saw your smack talking on another dudes post. God knows how many others you have. Nothing better to do huh? Maybe you need a plumb. Try using that snorkel on yourself. ;)

Forreal though, why would you pay $20k to rebuild and install a 13 year old gen 3 LQ4/4l80 when craigslist has ultra low mile gen 5 L83/6l80e for 4k. Add another 1k for a custom harness and you're 'cherries'

Sorry to s*** on your thread but I just don't get the rationale behind some powertrain choices

Forreal though, why would you pay $20k to rebuild and install a 13 year old gen 3 LQ4/4l80 when craigslist has gen 5 L83/6l80e for 4k. Add another 1k for a custom harness and you're 'cherries'

Sorry to s*** on your thread but I just don't get the rationale behind some powertrain choices

Keep in mind that the swap is not just the engine and harness. It is a TON of labor. If you have looked into doing a swap, it is not as easy as you think and it takes a lot of different factors. For my application that was the best fit and price. I understand what you are saying, but either way, I am now giving the car away to the new owner unfortunately. So whoever wants it will have something that is badass and pretty much complete.

Who did the swap?
Why sell it at an obvious loss so soon after doing the work?

These are questions any prospective buyer will ask.

Very nice work.

Trust me. I know. I wouldn't sell if I could keep her. Just had a baby and really don't have the time or money for it. Family comes first and a bit in the savings for a rainy day is more important.

Thank you for the kind words.

Trust me. I know. I wouldn't sell if I could keep her. Just had a baby and really don't have the time or money for it. Family comes first and a bit in the savings for a rainy day is more important.

Thank you for the kind words.

Sorry. Forgot to respond to your other question. I took it to a shop and they did it, but I am anal and wasn't completely satisfied. So touched up some things with a mechanic I have known for years. Took a while, but got it done.

is this smog legal for CA ?

Probably not smoggable in CO because of "heavy duty" donor vehicle, otherwise, looks swell! Good luck.

Besides the 2500 engine classification what makes it not legal for CA?
Does it have all the smog components in place?

If not, what's missing?
What's the deal with the salvage title?

Thanks,

Besides the 2500 engine classification what makes it not legal for CA?
Does it have all the smog components in place?

If not, what's missing?
What's the deal with the salvage title?

Thanks,

When you do these unless you pretty much buy all the stock components that go with the motor, it is tough to smog. I didn't want it to smog either way because you loose power and don't have the fun aspect. It has short tube headers that are not CA smog legal. Besides that, not sure exactly what else it needs. As I said, didn't care. Was going to register it in Arizona or find a way to deal with it here. All kinds of possibilities.

The deal with the salvage title is a stupid one, but can't change it. Car was slightly damaged in 2009 in front right quarter panel. Insurance company used KBB value instead of market value which caused the repair to cost more than car was "worth". Body shop it was at ended up keeping the car and fully restored it. Car is clean and straight as an arrow. People go nuts for it. Constant thumbs up at shows and on the road.

Let me know if interested. Need her off my hands. Just had a kid and family expenses / priorities come first. Sucks, because I never got to enjoy her much.

I remember seeing your rig for sale when I was shopping for mine a few months ago. It was a bit out of my price range but a super clean truck. Best of luck with your sale!

Hi.. posted on your other ad post here..

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "salvage titles"... and also the smog issue. How is it in LA, and registered in CA, if it's not smog'd?

Pics look super sweet.. and pretty much what I envisioned for my '90 FJ60, eventually... but was looking at using a NEW,
crate engine, the e-Rod Chevy to deal with the CA smog issue. Your rig looks pretty complete.

But,... $24K sounds like a lot to me, for a vehicle with a salvage title, no smog, and questions about how to register?
Honestly, I'm looking for something mechanically reliable and rock solid, looks great, and no DMV or smog hassles.

GLWS! (and congrats on the new baby...)

Respectfully, this is complete BS. You are grossly misrepresenting the vehicle you are selling. I've sent you private messages in hopes that you properly (legally and honestly) represent this thing and that I would not have to publicly post this, but I can't take this BS anymore. You don't lose power on emissions - that's a lie. Your headers are not the problem - another lie. When you state "Tough to smog" - you should be stating "NOT remotely possible or legal in CA, NV, AZ, CO or anywhere else that performs a visual check." The only remotely honest thing you put is that you don't know what it needs.

You need to have a vehicle in the same weight class as the original, same year or newer. An engine from a 2500 will never be legal in a "light duty" vehicle. You need all the emissions components from a light duty vehicle including the exhaust to the end of the last catalytic converter. You need a factory air intake, or one with a CARB E.O. #, you need all of the functioning EVAP equipment including the canister, lines and canister purge mechanism. All of the emissions equipment must remain in the factory location.

It's not exceptionally complicated, the person you paid to do this was ignorant of the laws and built you a vehicle you can't sell or register in either state you lived in.

None of this is true. NONE. The "assurances" you gave regarding smog in CA or anywhere else are downright deceptive. This vehicle CANNOT be smogged in CA with this engine. Ever. You seriously need to rethink how you are advertising this thing, as your hurry to sell may earn you a subpoena from the new owner. And unlike Hillary, you can't delete this thread.

Lollllllll wow. Officer. Defending myself to you would be a waste of time. You should have been a police officer. Do me a favor and mind your own business. I am selling my rig that belongs to ME. I built it. You didn't. As the ad states "contact with serious interest only". Are you interested? No...so mind your own effin business. Alright?

No one is lying about anything. I have NOTHING to lie about. Car speaks for itself. If you have an issue with smog and that is the reason someone doesn't buy it, they are not enthusiasts. You put a mustang motor in your car buddy. That says enough. I put a GM V8 swap and did things the way I wanted to. I don't give a damn what you may think you know. This is how mine turned out. Get a life man....because my rig is for sale and yours isn't selling, don't try to sabotage my s***.

Pathetic. Sad that I even wasted 2 minutes typing this.

Shall we go point by point?:
  • You can't transfer a title in CA without a valid smog certificate.
  • You have a vehicle that will never pass emissions.
  • You state quite the opposite in your ad.
  • I sent you a private message informing you that your ad is deceptive
  • You ignore said advice and continue to mislead
  • Others ask you about the salvage title, and you continue to dance around the issue

You're being deceptive by either ignorance or maleficence. You can throw all the childish insults you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are being shady. Maybe you should have taken that wasted two minutes of time you used to pen that childish response and read the vehicle code.

If you have an issue with smog and that is the reason someone doesn't buy it, they are not enthusiasts..

Not sure what the issue with smog has to do with being an "enthusiast".. these are old trucks, and if anything..
a true enthusiast would want to keep it all stock Toyota.. and not be putting a Chevy or Ford engine in there. When
I had my 71 FJ40, I would certainly not be called a purist or enthusiast for deviating from Freeeborn Red and painting
it Chili Pepper Red, and a bright white top (vs Cygnus White), and replacing the 2F with a Chevy SBC. But, I was fine
with it... loved it.

Every person and truck is different. I'm sure there's some combination of price and truck features, that will make it
a reasonable sale for someone. But for me, it would be my mostly daily driver, and weekend fun rig, so I can't afford
any hassles with the DMV and smog. I'm not in a position or stage in my life to want to do anything shady, like paying
someone under the table, just to pass my smog-check, just to maybe get it DMV registered, or not. I don't know about
salvage titles, but maybe I'd be able to work with that... but not the smog issue.. and certainly not at a price of $24K.

And actually, in CA.. the burden is on the seller to make sure the vehicle passes smog, to be even able to sell it. How
exactly would your buyer be able to register it in CA at all, in it's current configuration?

I found your ad so attractive, because your pics look beautiful, and on paper, it has what I want in a Chevy conversion.
I am already considering having Valley Hybrids up in Stockton do a conversion on my '90 FJ62, but with the Chevy
e-Rod 6.2 crate engine (new), JUST... so it would pass CA smog. An expensive way to go for sure.. and the guy is an
expert at these conversions. He always tells everyone up front .. doing these conversions on these Landcruiser might
be worthwhile, but only for someone who loves their truck. But, you will NEVER financially recoup the costs of doing
an engine/tranny conversion. So, it might cost me $20k to do this eRod conversion.. but it will be rock solid, and I'll
never sell it. If I did.. there's no way I'd get that $20k back on a 26 year old vehicle.. even a Landcruiser with a new
crate engine. A cherry stock 26 year old Landcruiser with some nice add-ons would have a better chance at getting
that kind of price.. in my opinion.

But still.. best of luck with your sale. Maybe try listing it on eBay..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom