Builds My 1978 Nut and Bolt Frame Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good! How long have you been working on things?

I started at the end of this April. If you are asking how long ive been restoring cars, the answer is that this is my first restoration. I am loving it so far. Very fulfilling.

Looking good! What size compressor are you driving the blaster with? It looks like it is doing a great job. When I considered getting a sandblaster, it seemed like I was going to need a pretty big compressor, so I had a guy come to my house and take care of it. Your rig looks like it was in pretty decent shape to start with.

Who is doing your plating?

Thank you. The Quincy is 60 gallons with 16 CFM. I also have a small Ingersol Rand 25 gallon (110v) that I piggybacked to the Quncy. I'd expect the duo to make around 20-22 CFM total. The sandblaster I am using is the 99h from Brut Manufacturing.

Jackson Plating Co. is who is doing the plating for me; they are about 1/2 mile away from my house. The powdercoater is only a 10 minute drive away also.

Frame just came back from the powdercoater. Looks incredibly good.

image-jpeg.1310265

Also picked up my first batch of small parts from the coaters. 26 pieces in total.

image-jpeg.1310266

image-jpeg.1310267

Oh, and the first batch of cadmium came back today too; it was a banner day for my build.

image-jpeg.1310268

Just look at this beautiful thing.

image-jpeg.1310632

image-jpeg.1310633

image-jpeg.1310634

Started reassembling the newly PC'd pedal assembly with some cad hardware.

image-jpeg.1310743

image-jpeg.1310744

Don't worry, I'll be replacing all pedal pads.
image-jpeg.1310747

Spent a bit of time coating all of the ends of these brackets with rubber coating. Looks great. Hung them from a baby gate to dry.

image-jpeg.1310771

image-jpeg.1310772

Pulled apart the ignition/steering shaft/turn signal indicator. Cleaned up the indicator and harness with Simple Green, cut out a dirty splice job, soldered new section in, and covered with marine heat shrink, followed by 3M Super 33 tape. I'll probably shorten the 2 connector plug and replace the fitting as it is broken anyways.

image-jpeg.1312016

Steering wheel restoration.

1. File open all cracks.
2. Clean with degreaser and hot soapy water.
3. Fill with JB-Weld
4. Sand flush
5. Sand entire wheel with 220
6. Clean
7. Black epoxy
8. Clear coat
9. Wetsand with 2000 grit
10. Polish with DA Sander
11. Wax and Polish with microfiber

Before/After

image-jpeg.1312036

Before:
image-jpeg.1312404

After:
image-jpeg.1312405

Gave the ignition a good cleaning, also cleaned the connections with Simple Green and wrapped the shrouds in new 3M tape.

image-jpeg.1312407

Got the bearing pulled, cleaned, and repacked with Royal Purple. Also polished the upper steering shaft. I'll sandblast the rest of the shaft and have it PC'd with the shroud and bucket.

image-jpeg.1312408

So after I polished the steering shaft, I realized it'd be susceptible to rust. I whipped out my DIY zinc electroplating apparatus and zinc coated the section of the shaft that will not get powdercoated.

image-jpeg.1313657

Spent yesterday and today redoing the rear electrical harness. It was in surprisingly in good shape beneath the overspray, mud, bedliner, and dry rotted electrical tape. The wires are in great shape, and fairly unmolested; the connectors had a lot of dry rot. I've went ahead and ordered some more to replace these.

image-jpeg.1314027

Parts came back from the powdercoater. Reassembled the steering wheel and shaft.

image-jpeg.1314028

image-jpeg.1314029

Roll bar is back from PC'ing.

image-jpeg.1314030

Replaced the burnt/melted main female connector on the rear harness.

image-jpeg.1314355

Zinc coated the studs at the bottom of the radiator shroud/support.

image-jpeg.1314434

It's beautiful.....

image-jpeg.1319073

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom