Troopy troubles - What is this grinding noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TDX

Threads
G'Day all, I'm hoping you guys can help me with my troopy troubles. For the past few weeks, I've been hearing a clunking noise coming from underneath, towards the back of the troopy. It doesn't seem to marry up with anything I'm doing - accelerating, turning, braking, etc. It's definitely not the usual leaf noise I get every so often. And now over the past few days I've been hearing (and feeling) a slow dull grinding noise which is getting worse pretty quickly, so I'm stuck in my driveway until I can figure out what's going on.

• I lifted the rear wheels to check for play - nothing.
  • I pulled rear wheels off to check brake pads - good enough.
  • I checked the tail shaft for play - nothing.
  • I checked oil level in the rear diff - all good. Replaced oil for good measure. Only a small amount of fine metal shavings on the magnetic plug.
  • Checked oil levels in transfer case and gearbox - all good too. Replaced oil in both while I was down there.
Could any of you fine people point me in the right direction here? Tonight I'm planning to hit the uni joints and extension spline with a grease gun, though I don't have much hope of that making a difference. My mechanical skills are pretty basic, so I'm out of ideas after checking the basic stuff.

Mudflaps dragging on the back tyre?

id join a group on facebook called Troop Carriers of Australia if you havent already, larger audience for troopys there. offhand muffler pipe? Secondary tank straps ?

id join a group on facebook called Troop Carriers of Australia if you haven't already, larger audience for troopys there. offhand muffler pipe? Secondary tank straps ?
Cheers legend, I'm a pretty active member on TOA, though I've put this issue to the group already. They suggested I do everything listed above, but it looks like they're running short on ideas, so I thought I'd bother you guys here to get a fresh perspective :D

Where do you feel this grinding through the body, steering, brakes, clutch, gearshift etc.
This info could help to track it down.

I have also had the exhaust make a grinding noise as it vibrates at high speed. My front spline made a grinding noise when it was in 4wd and low on grease as the cap had come off and it had oozed out. So maybe the rear splines can also make that noise.

Can you record the sound or type out how it sounds? Where's click and clack when you need them? (USA radio show "Car Talk")

Hello,

Shaft yokes, flanges and spiders are prone to make grinding noises when grease is missing. These noises fool even experienced mechanics.

With the free running hubs in FREE, try rotating the front shaft, half turn in one direction and then half turn in the opposite direction. If there is a clacking noise, apply grease and try rotating again. Repeat until the noise disappears.

With the rear wheels lifted, do the same thing with the rear shaft.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom