Koyorad vs. TYC Radiator Comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put a new radiator in my 80. Thanks to everyone who posted info about radiator choices... I picked up pieces of info from various thread but saw some conflicting information so I thought I'd post my experience with Koyorad vs. TYC since I had both sitting side-by-side in my garage. Photos and text below.

First, don't bother buying from CarID if you want Koyorad. I've seen warnings from others about this but after being assured in a live online chat that I would get a Koyorad as shown on their website and not get a TYC as substitute, I thought I would give it a go. Sure enough, they slipped me a TYC and tried to say it was the same thing. They were very nice... good customer service and all... but knowing that they got busted with a bait and switch, they authorized a full refund right away.

So I bought a Koyorad from 1800Radiator. Great service and I got the Koyo as promised for $176 plus tax. Below is what I saw as the differences between the two. I'm not inferring quality or performance with this... just observable differences, but Koyo did seem a little higher quality overall.

There were no identical parts or construction details between the two. They were different in every way but both were very close to OEM.

The core:
1) Koyo had 80 tubes in two rows. My OEM has 70 and so does TYC.
2) Depth of the core on Koyo was identical to OEM. TYC was a lot deeper. Still two rows on the TYC but each tube was noticeably wider front to back.
3) Fin pitch was a little tighter on TYC and they seemed installed at an angle, meaning not horizontal to the ground. Koyo was a little more open and seemed like there would be better air flow through them.
4) The fins on the Koyo ran nearly the full hight of the core. There was a gap of 3/8" to 1/2" at the top and bottom of the TYC.

The tanks:
1) The plastic mold details on the Koyo were closer to OEM with extra thickness and reinforcement around all the hose fittings, trans cooler tube mountings, etc. Nearly identical to OEM. TYC seemed a little cheaper and thinner overall.
2) TYC had copied the same numbers molded in the plastic as my OEM. Didn't look exactly the same but the numbers and letters matched. No numbers or date codes molded into Koyo at all.
3) The tranny cooling tubes, nuts and washers used to mount them were better and more stout on the TYC and closer to look of OEM. The outer diameter on the Koyo was just a little smaller than OEM and sure enough I have some small leaks of tranny fluid from the Koyo. The ID on my hoses is just a little too large and/or my clamps lost some spring.

Overall:
1) Both were made in China. Koyo was packaged better and had almost no damage, where TYC had some fins bent a little.
2) The metal side bracket stamp pattern on Koyo was identical to OEM. The pattern was a little different on TYC but both seemed identical where it mattered and the Koyo fit perfectly in my 80.

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the comparison as it is rare to have the two radiators to analyze. I have a koyorad and am very happy with the quality, but both seem o.k. The Toyota radiator is no longer available, correct?

I found the radiator from Toyota, list is, $510 so it can be had for 20% ish less if it can be had.

Any non-plastic option out there?

Thanks for sharing this info and comparison on both rads. Wish I would have known this last year....I paid $276 for my koyo rad. From amazon.

1800radiator appears to have a branch in Las Vegas...$176 for a koyo rad. Is a great price!

Thanks for sharing this info and comparison on both rads. Wish I would have known this last year....I paid $276 for my koyo rad. From amazon.

1800radiator appears to have a branch in Las Vegas...$176 for a koyo rad. Is a great price!

I too paid over 200 from Amazon for a Koyo rad. I could have sworn it was made in Indonesia or Malaysia (causing the higher price?). I would have remembered it if it was made in China because I look for those things.

I thought people bought koyos because they weren't made in China? Or have they recently changed?

I bought a Toyota radiator for 356.00

I thought people bought koyos because they weren't made in China? Or have they recently changed?

Starting about 20 years ago Koyo, like virtually all auto parts manufacturers became a global manufacturer. They make parts all over the world and have been making them globally for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom