New to the Group - 78' FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to the 40 section for all the answers you can ask. Not by me, 'cause I know nothing, I just read a lot.
Go to the club site ONSC and introduce yourself. You have a greats bunch of people with unlimited knowledge close at hand. You are located in the center of North Carolina, close to almost all who knows stuff.
I am just down the road in Salisbury.
Shane

Brad love all the cruiser pics shes a beautiful TLC!

Should you decide to re-smog your 2f in the future please let me know as I'll be glad to help you sort things out and also locate missing parts.

Here's a vacuum diagram for your reference:
full

Please make these changes now prior to driving:
full

Connect PCV hose to intake manifold "NOT Carb"
full

My '78 40 had some emissions issues when I first got her, however, with the help from our MUD brothers was able to bring her back to EPA standards.

full

Last edited:
I also just noticed, I believe you have a FJ60 carb on there, as it has the AC idle up diaphragm and the vacuum ports are all wrong for a 78. There is a letter and number code stamped on the front of your carb. That will help identify what carb you have. But you could use the help of someone like @FJ40Jim with what you are dealing with.

Definitely a 60 carb. Which means it's too short, so the air cleaner is not sealing on the top, choke cable doesn't connect, fuel return is not connected, vac hoses routed wrong. There's a lot of easily sorted out clusterfawkery there, classic Brett Young or Mushro caliber 'work'.

Welcome, @Not A CJ. I also have a 1978. I'll echo what Shane said - plenty of knowledge and parts here in NC. Our Triad guys just had a meeting earlier this week, wish we had known about you before then. Here's a link to our clubhouse here. We have monthly get togethers in RDU, GSO and CLT that are posted in the clubhouse 1-2 weeks out. And you just barely missed our big annual Logan's Run event at Uwharrie. 70 Cruisers of various models made it out.

The nice thing about the current setup is it does not need a choke. But should I consider getting a 40 Carb. I know it needs some smog work done. I also found it has Protronic igniton as well.

I also just noticed, I believe you have a FJ60 carb on there, as it has the AC idle up diaphragm and the vacuum ports are all wrong for a 78. There is a letter and number code stamped on the front of your carb. That will help identify what carb you have. But you could use the help of someone like @FJ40Jim with what you are dealing with.

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5868.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG

Your carb was made on July 18 1984, definitely a FJ60 carb. The AC idle up is connected to manifold vacuum so it is always engaged. I would probably remove that hose and cap at the manifold. You will need to adjust your idle after doing this. What is up with the red wire that is sitting in the mount where your fuel cut solenoid connector should be? That is the green connector sitting in front of the bracket. Is the clear hose zip tied to the fuel hard line for a vacuum gauge?

Your carb was made on July 18 1984, definitely a FJ60 carb. The AC idle up is connected to manifold vacuum so it is always engaged. I would probably remove that hose and cap at the manifold. You will need to adjust your idle after doing this. What is up with the red wire that is sitting in the mount where your fuel cut solenoid connector should be? That is the green connector sitting in front of the bracket. Is the clear hose zip tied to the fuel hard line for a vacuum gauge?
Thanks for the help! Give me some time and I will track your questions and provide pictures. I am no expert.

So the red wire is actually connected to the solenoid and the clear hose does nothing, it may have at one time but is disconnected on both sides. I have found a few of those that i need to track down and remove.

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom