October ROTM - Casner Trail & Camping (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
The much talked about and long awaited October ROTM information is finally here! I know you have all been anxiously awaiting this post, in between exploding Android batteries and iOS 10 updates. I have taking this right out of the @Pitch playbook. If you want to read more, you can go here. Here is all the info you need to know.

Dates: October 14-16

Meeting place: Safeway parking lot, Sedona

Time: 9:00AM Saturday the 15th

Depart: 9:30AM

Trails: 525, Casner #8, 231, and others

Stocker friendly: Yes, I drove a stock 100 with our expedition trailer up the trail without much problem.

Camping will be located on the north side of the rim, south of FR 231. GPS coordinates for the camping area are 34.978315, -111.814385.

Casner #8 is limited to 10 total vehicles. I already have some people that have reached out to me. If I did not put your name on the list, please let me know (my memory is going). Tina (@aztlctina) and I will meet the lucky ten drivers at Safeway on Saturday morning, but I will need someone to take point from there, until you get to the upper gate. We will meet you there. We ran this trail last year so we are going to forego doing the Casner trail, this way it frees up another driver spot.

Tina and I (and the kids) are going to go up on Friday morning to get our camping spot, and hopefully mark some trails. We will be camping two nights, Friday and Saturday. If anyone wants to come up Friday, they are more than welcome.

In the next few days I will be posting the trail maps and directions on how to get to the camping site. I would highly recommend you come up for camping. It is an incredibly beautiful spot.

The lucky few:

1. @Pitch ** Eric will lead the run from Sedona up Casner. He is not going to ride with CJ @Chrismanjs and free up a spot.
2. @Saddletramp
3. @murf
4. @LandCruiserPhil
5. @ftbshop
6. @1Louder - dropped out.
7. @LongDuck
8. @Abigail Paul
9. @Funner
10. @Nifski
11. @Chrismanjs with @Pitch riding shotgun.
12. @Dissent

The almost lucky few:

1. @jclarke450
2. @Mattman

Happy Campers:

1. @Cruddz
2. @jclarke450 - they gave their spot to @LongDuck
3. @brices123 & @aztlctina
4. @Pitch **
5. @Mattman

Maps:

1. Casner Map 1 - Route 89a to Casner via 525
2. Casner Map 2 - Casner #8 to campsite
3. Casner Map 3 - 89a to campsite via 535/536/231
4. Casner Map 4 - Campsite to 89a or Flagstaff via 231
The first three maps are from the South Coconino National Forest pdf map, and the fourth map is from the North Coconino National Forest pdf map.

I think we plan on using our "go to" HAM channel of 146.460 and CB channel 4.

If anyone needs to get a hold of me, my cell is 602- 6 seven 9 - zero 946.

Attachments

• Casner Map 1.pdf
    340.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Casner Map 2.pdf
    368.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Casner Map 3.pdf
    383.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Casner Map 4.pdf
    389.4 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Yeah I am in for this. Will try to bring the wife as well since she hasn't camped in this area. There are some great spots off of 231. I know one hidden group area that is excellent. I will be bringing my trailer unless it sells by then.

Yeah I am in for this. Will try to bring the wife as well since she hasn't camped in this area. There are some great spots off of 231. I know one hidden group area that is excellent. I will be bringing my trailer unless it sells by then.
Tina is happy to hear your wife may be coming. She typically has a better time when she is not the only wife on a camping trip.

Unfortunately I will be out of town that weekend so that opens up another spot. Did this last year and recommend it . Have a great time on this trip.

Brice & Tina, wiping away the tears of sorrow as I type this, but I will be out of state during this time at a family reunion so I cannot make this one. I was really hoping it would be later in the month as I was looking forward to this trip due to how you spoke of your experiences there the last time. I hope that you all have a wonderful time. If the date changes for some reason to later in Oct, put me back on the list please :)

Brice & Tina, wiping away the tears of sorrow as I type this, but I will be out of state during this time at a family reunion so I cannot make this one. I was really hoping it would be later in the month as I was looking forward to this trip due to how you spoke of your experiences there the last time. I hope that you all have a wonderful time. If the date changes for some reason to later in Oct, put me back on the list please :)

Pete, sorry to hear you will miss it.

Casner is only open from May 15 to October 15 each year. We have the absolute latest date available in 2016.

Maybe next year?

We are in

looking forward to it Brice! :bounce2:

We are out, @wtmtnterror has a hunt that weekend/week. Sounds like fun!! Maybe next year.

What season would that be? Years ago I would have said fall turkey but Game & Fish has split up so many hunts even when not hunting I check the regs to who to expect in the forest.

I was bummed last year I didn't get to take my FJ62. Lucky I was able to make the FJCruiser run last month. Might make the camping depending on how I'm feeling. Last month's run someone's transmission over heat who wasn't in low range in the first part which is steep switch backs. Be sure to be in low range. Both times was on 31" Michelin LTX MS all terrain tires with no traction aid and had no problems.

Cow Elk hunt in unit 23, yeah it's all about creating more "hunter opportunities." Meanwhile the hunts are down to a week or less which gives the average person one weekend to hunt...:mad: Ok I'm done.

If that list is still current with openings, put me down, please! :) will be bringing the bf and the dog.

Fall color should be in full splendor, I'm so looking forward to this.

I thought Tina loved being one of only two girls, she and Mrs. Clarke.

I ran this trail last year, it will not dissapoint,
Great views and one iconic uphill switchback section that will really test your cooling systems,

I'll leave a spot free for someone else but definitely in for camping

Will be out of state with family this weekend. Thanks for organizing and will look forward to some good stories.

Hopefully this year we can avoid the post trip hospital visit for Makenna!

Let me add that if the list fills up we would be willing to give our spot to someone who hasn't been before if needed. We would still camp with everyone.

Last edited:
Thank you, Brice. In, please put me in the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom