17" RW Tire Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why does everyone go with 285/75 R17 instead of going with a skinnier tire: 235/80 R17?

The better tire aspect ratio match is 245/75 R17 but I would like even more sidewall.

Any help/input appreciated. I am sure I am not understanding something.

Rubbing also comes into play with some tire sizes. It seems that 285/70/17 is as big as you can go on an LC/LX without rubbing on stock suspension. With a lift or ARB front bumper and potentially a bit of trimming you can run bigger tires. @Willy beamin is running 35s on his RWs.

EDIT: And MSCruiser too :)

Last edited:
Toyota recommends the 285/70-17. But you can do whatever you want...

So 70 is the largest sidewall I can go with stock suspension?

What if I get the Oem spacers?

Prelift I had the 285/70-17 with no rubbing. I would assume 75 would rub stock.

Most of us are doing the same thing. Then there's @MScruiser

:)

Why does everyone go with 285/75 R17 instead of going with a skinnier tire: 235/80 R17?

The better tire aspect ratio match is 245/75 R17 but I would like even more sidewall.

Any help/input appreciated. I am sure I am not understanding something.

BTW, first number is width in millimeters, and the second number is percentage of that width in sidewall.

Understanding Tire Sizes | Just Tires

Thanks, basically I want a bigger sidewall to cushion bumps/road imperfections. The stock tires seem to feel more road imperfections than my LX470 with 16".

Thanks MScruiser for posting the link: I did see a 3 people with stock height cars having 75 sidewall aspect ratios but with 285 widths. I am uneasy about screwing with the speedo/odo.

Thanks, basically I want a bigger sidewall to cushion bumps/road imperfections. The stock tires seem to feel more road imperfections than my LX470 with 16".

Thanks MScruiser for posting the link: I did see a 3 people with stock height cars having 75 sidewall aspect ratios but with 285 widths. I am uneasy about screwing with the speedo/odo.

We're all slightly off on the speedo/odo...but for that matter, so are balding tires compared with new. At 285/70/17 it's a pretty small difference. I talked to Slee about a speedo correction device like you can get for the 100, but apparently the 200 calculates from a different point, so you can't tweak it. One of our math guys can tell us the exact % the speedo will be off, but it's not a big deal at all at 32-33". If I ever go 35, it will be with a gear swap...but the speedo will still be off.

If it REALLY bugs you, run a cheap speedometer app on your phone that uses GPS (they are pretty dang accurate now) and you'll have a backup--plus you'll get to see that it's not very far off after all.

First point: Toyota recommends 285/70-17 tires for use on the LC with the RW wheels -

TRDRWWheels1_10FEB16_zpsdmt0qdvo.jpg

Second point: Your speedometer is MORE accurate using the 285/70-17 tires than it is with the stock 285/60-18 tires. This is because Toyota set the speedo in the LC to read fast with stock tires. This has been confirmed with thousands of miles on both the stock tires and the 285/70-17 tires using a standalone GPS unit.

HTH

Yoda,
Thank you for saving me from making a mistake. Will be ordering 285/70R17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom