Can 100 w/o locker do this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw this video on youtube and really impressed with this 100 set up but not enough info on the rig by the owner. May be someone here on Mud :) and can share with us his set up besides the obvious front/rear bumpers :)

It looks like he has a front locker to me. It would be more of a challenge with an open front diff but doable for sure. Looks like Metal Tech sliders as well.

Only prep/mods needed for that would be tires/suspension/sliders/bumpers - no drivetrain mods... well, those last couple shelves would be a struggle without that front locker. I'd expect some drama from an ATRAC-equiped front

Only prep/mods needed for that would be tires/suspension/sliders/bumpers - no drivetrain mods... well, those last couple shelves would be a struggle without that front locker. I'd expect some drama from an ATRAC-equiped front

Bumpers? We don't need no stinking bumpers...

IMGP2909.jpg

At the 1:30 mark while coming off the small ledge, he lifts the front passenger tire and it is not turning while the vehicle is moving forward. Maybe a locker is disengaged, but it looks like ATRAC at that point.

Very few 100 has seen Cliffhanger:clap:

You know your trails! It wasn't pretty, but she did it. With some great spotters, an open front diff and stock rear bumper it is indeed possible. I bent one of the home brew sliders and dented the bottom end of the passenger side fender, as well as loosing "Moon Unit" fender flares and my regularity for a couple of days afterwards.

3498761423_723767ac99.jpg

moab2009124.jpg

You'd have to ask @paflytyer to be sure. That is his truck. I'm pretty sure that it was ATRAC at the time this was shot... he's now on his second front locker and went from A-Trac to TJM locker to ARB locker + gears ... yep he's been through 2 R&Ps now.

You know your trails! It wasn't pretty, but she did it. With some great spotters, an open front diff and stock rear bumper it is indeed possible. I bent one of the home brew sliders and dented the bottom end of the passenger side fender, as well as loosing "Moon Unit" fender flares and my regularity for a couple of days afterwards.

Was that during Cruise Moab perhaps? I think I recognize your trail leader... I've been tempted to try Cliffhanger, thanks for the report!

Without going too far into the armchair wheeling space, I'd say that everything in the original posted video could be (and possibly was) done in a Hundy without lockers. A few shots definitely show open diffs. I haven't driven anything more difficult than Poison Spider Mesa and Gold Bar Rim in my Hundy, but I've become pretty confident in the carefully applied capabilities of ATRAC.
Big but straight-forward steps like those in the video often come down to knowing when and how to bump it. With the wrong line and a lazy driver a fully locked rig can sometimes just sit and spin where a better driver with open diffs can work traction, weight, and momentum to get up and over. I'll go with @LandCruiserPhil and say the driver means a lot.

Looks like the video of the run when I broke my finger against Josh's slider and Stan almost passed out hearing it crunch!!! Dec/'13. As far as I remember he did have a arb in the front.

Was that during Cruise Moab perhaps? I think I recognize your trail leader... I've been tempted to try Cliffhanger, thanks for the report!

Yes. 2009 I believe.

Saw this video on youtube and really impressed with this 100 set up but not enough info on the rig by the owner. May be someone here on Mud :) and can share with us his set up besides the obvious front/rear bumpers :)

Plenty of info on that rig right here:
Featured 100: paflytyer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom