Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've wondered about those seals. Have thought about trying them. If nothing else I'd like to have the heavier backing rings they make. May have to give them a squeeze next time I need to do a front-end

I've wondered about those seals. Have thought about trying them. If nothing else I'd like to have the heavier backing rings they make. May have to give them a squeeze next time I need to do a front-end

John has been running them for awhile with solid results and I was bad in need of new felts anyway.

That knuckle wiper kit is probably my favorite thing TG makes. They are one step shy of impossible to install, but they work well and save a lot of time on future R&R's.

Are you doing anything about the king pins when you put the new knuckles on?

Not at this time. Broken king pins are the result of loose knuckle studs which I continuously battle. I have looked at the 25 mm setup and will likely end up there but the wallet is hurting right now thanks to Uncle Sam.

You putting that valve in-cab for on-the-fly adjustments or does it just go near where the old LSPV was?

Actually most of the setups I've seen have it next to the Master Cylinder. That said, I don't believe it really matters where it goes as along as it's accessible.

Once you have it adjusted correctly you shouldn't have to mess with it again.

Last edited:
what a properly built knuckle should look like

20160827_105128.jpg

What!? No welds or grind marks anywhere??? ....give it time. Haha

dare i say I'm done modding this truck. Now i just wanna wheel the piss out of it and ave it hold together for at least more than 1 or 2 rides.

I gonna end up replacing the front axle housing in the next few months cuz I think mine is slightly bent but for now it'll run Hawk Pride.

• 6 Shooters are installed, all new knuckle hardware so we'll see how long that lasts.
  • New TG knuckle ball wipers installed. wasn't that bad a deal and they seem fairly stout.
  • Disc brake conversion done, used mini truck calipers, rotors, had brackets made. Overall a pretty simple install and cost with new rotors, 1 new caliper, Prop valve and a few plumbing parts ran about $150
  • Wilwood Proportioning valve installed, located at Master cylinder. not yet fully adjusted but so far happy.

Wilwood 260-8419 Adjustable Proportioning Valve Knob

31i2r4c5RtL.jpg

Prop valve come with 1/8 x 27 NPT fittings, you'll need 2 3/16 x24 hard line brake fittings to mate it all up. Have a part # on phone but will post later.

Interested in more details on the rear disc conversion. Who made the brackets and did they mount to existing bracketry on the axle or did you have to add brackets? Do you still have the bracket template?

Does your truck have a different master cylinder than the older 4 cyl mini trucks? Wondering if I could go this route without replacing the master cylinder as that price looks pretty appealing.

Interested in more details on the rear disc conversion. Who made the brackets and did they mount to existing bracketry on the axle or did you have to add brackets? Do you still have the bracket template?

Does your truck have a different master cylinder than the older 4 cyl mini trucks? Wondering if I could go this route without replacing the master cylinder as that price looks pretty appealing.

Yes, we still have a few brackets and they will bolt to the rear axle. The brackets are bolted using the 4 studs that hold on the rear axle.

My truck being a v6 has a different MC than yours so you will have to replace with either a GM or 6 cyl equivalent. If I had a spare I'd give it to you but turned out my spare is not a 6 cyl.

I'll let you know if its worth the effort but plan is to do Johns next so you might wanna come on down for the install after the HP ride.

All this chatter of new brakes and being done and the only picture is of a proportioning valve.... Don't be stingy, let's see all the new goodness and drool.

little update

After grenading a TG Longfield turning into the first trail Friday evening at Hawk Pride I rode bitch the rest of the evening. Next morning I was up early and threw in my spare 27 spline Longfield and ran the rest of the weekend w/o issue.:clap:
20160926_181537.jpg

Trail Gear Warranty - When I bought them Sept 2015 they were close out items and only came with a 1 year warranty but the price was too good to pass up.

While in Moab last year I threw them in as I was having issues and have been running them hard ever since. That is, until June at AOP where I tried to be a rock bouncer and failed. After the trip I had to replace a broken steering arm and put in 6 shooters so obviously pulled the set and they looked fine, guess I need glasses.

Anyway, when it finally disintegrated it was technically out of warranty by about 2 weeks but I called TG anyway expecting to have to fight, I didn't have to and they covered it without argument so thumbs up for that.

Got news yesterday the replacement is on the way, no issue.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it went smoothly. Hopefully the new ones hold up as well as the old ones. I have my doubts though.

time to replace the old axle housing, it's served me well but alas i believe is sightly bent. I will no bend the replacement unless I do something really stupid, which is not entirely beyond me.

20161211_141710.jpg

20161212_164927.jpg

20161212_165754.jpg

... says the guy still on 35s. I'll do it when you do it. :notworthy:

IMG_1334.JPG
Here's you a l e d set up for your rig. Rear facing light bar to help navigate backing out of that mall parking spot. You know how dark they can get.

does this count for anything? Added 2 cup holders to the interior, was cheaper than continuing to purchase magnetic koozies. In the last 2 rides I've dumped 1 beer and 1 night run beverage in my passenger's lap so maybe they'll appreciate it. :)

20161220_133818.jpg

Dave will appreciate them there beverage holders.

Did you add the L E D interior light? They make a "super" bright one. It will aid you to locate your beverage holder so you don't spill your beverage.

I also added drink holders. I noticed Rob was using bicycle water bottle holders in his 40,so I installed a couple myself.

Nope, waiting for a single row curved one for less than $100 :flipoff2:, they're about 2x that now.

think I'm gonna go for full blown democrat lighting, add one above the doors pointing outward to the sides. 2 across the roll bar in the rear for those time I go up obstacles backwards and of course the single row above the windshield. That oughta get me over most rocks!! :rofl:

With the way LED light pricing has dropped in the last few years that should be about next week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom