12ht oil catch can (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday guys,
I am looking at installing an oil catch can to my hj61, and have a couple of questions before buying one...
1. I am looking at buying the one in the picture from Engine Parts Australia - has anyone used this particular one, or should I look at something different?
2. Do I need to direct the recirculated air that has gone through the catch can into the turbo, or can I block off the turbo to ensure all air coming into the turbo is through the air filter? It seems pointless to be putting hot air into the turbo if you don't have to - or am I missing something here??

Thanks heaps!

Drew

image.png

Thanks @Tapage.
I don't think it has an internal filter - which wouldn't worry me if I wasn't returning it into the air intake. I was thinking of just making a blanking plate for the underside of the intake cross-over pipe. Is there a reason that you would use the return line?

Looks like 12mm hose. The main thing is hose must be same size as OEM . Google HPR catch can and it explains the requirements for a catch can. I actually want a HPR can but at $385.

Thanks mate - was that HPD catch can? Had a look at the video, but couldn't find much else... At $385 I will be exploring other options!!

So, I decided to order a different one with 19mm barbs, and an internal stainless filter, and have made a blanking plate for the inlet crossover. I will vent the catch can somewhere under the vehicle. Hopefully it will arrive mon or tues...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So, my catch can arrived a week later than expected. I have made a stainless bracket, and will install in a couple of days...
Here is the catch can..

I have now finished the install of the catch can, and intake blanking plate. I have only driven it for an hour and have noticed when the car isn't moving that I am getting a smell through the cab - presumably from where I have vented the outlet in the front guard. I will see how it goes and may buy a longer Jose that goes into the chassis rail under the car somewhere... Also the catch can I bought didn't have a plug / tap on the lower drain point. I have siliconed it up for the moment while I wait for a cap to arrive. I wouldn't mind using clear hose with a tap on it so I can easily see how much oil is in there, and easily drain it (just need to find something that suits...)
Now to start on the intercooler....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have now finished the install of the catch can, and intake blanking plate. I have only driven it for an hour and have noticed when the car isn't moving that I am getting a smell through the cab - presumably from where I have vented the outlet in the front guard.

Why not route it back into the intake? The catch can is now allegedly doing its job and extracting the oil so should be 'safe' to plumb back into intake, it will stop that smell anyway.

Yep - that option is still there. I have checked the bowl to see how much oil is coming out - but there isn't any there, however there is oil residue on the inside of the end of the 'outlet' hose... I am sure that it is plumbed correctly, but am unsure if the stainless filter is too course and allowing the oil vapour to continue through???..
I also thought eliminating any warm air going into the turbo would be a good thing - hence not returning??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom