Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw you driving around pulling trailer all weekend, meant to introduce myself and check it out but didn't get a chance. How did GSMTR go for you?

Matt

truck did great and GSMTR went by too fast. Sorry we missed each other.

Fortunately the carnage report is pretty short, 1 bent rear main spring from Rattle Rock and 1 front drivers spring from earlier in the week.

Finally tore apart the drivers knuckle after AOP nearly a month ago. I thought I'd bent the axle at the ball but the actual damage was much less. So now a small debate is raging in my head, simply replace the steering arm and move, 6-Shooters knuckles or FROR Keyed steering arms.

With Moab 2017 bouncing around in my head I'm leaning toward an upgrade.

20160723_142815.jpg

Finally tore apart the drivers knuckle after AOP nearly a month ago. I thought I'd bent the axle at the ball but the actual damage was much less. So now a small debate is raging in my head, simply replace the steering arm and move, 6-Shooters knuckles or FROR Keyed steering arms.

With Moab 2017 bouncing around in my head I'm leaning toward an upgrade.

View attachment 1295399
Sheared the pin? 6-shooters won't prevent that by themselves. Gotta do the Marlin 21mm pin upgrade.

Last edited:
Shea

Sheared the pin? 6-shooters won't prevent that by themselves. Gotta do the Marlin 21mm pin upgrade.

Yes sir you are correct on both accounts. I think the Marlins are actually 25 mm if I remember correctly

I think you're right. Twenty-something anyway. Haha.

As much as I like the keyed armed the more I think about it it would be nice to have new parts and not a rebuilt 30 year old knuckle. You seemed to have a lot of issues with the knuckle studs coming loose so maybe they are worn out :meh: and I'm sure the 39s aren't helping

As much as I like the keyed armed the more I think about it it would be nice to have new parts and not a rebuilt 30 year old knuckle. You seemed to have a lot of issues with the knuckle studs coming loose so maybe they are worn out :meh: and I'm sure the 39s aren't helping

see that's what I'm thinking too. The ultimate would be to have the 6 shooters keyed and a 25mm pin, realistically for enough $$ I could have the 25 mm pin w/ 6 shooters but i do have a budget to mind.

Last edited:
I was gonna say go with an 80 front and a set of hellfire knuckles. If you weren't so vested in the 8" I'd suggest building a pair of 9.5" axles.

I was gonna say go with an 80 front and a set of hellfire knuckles. If you weren't so vested in the 8" I'd suggest building a pair of 9.5" axles.
I've gone back and forth soooo many times on doing this. Every time I do the math though, it comes out way better just to do 1-ton stuff. The reason I keep getting pulled back to it though is because it's about the only way to get big axles and still stay Toyota.

I think that's what keeps me interested. Of course I don't know what I'd do if actually faced with the decision. People do it because it works and works well, but so do the Toy axles for their intended purpose.... :cool:.

If/when the 80 gets to that point, I want to do a 9.5 won-ton front, but who knows if it will ever get to that point.

My opinion on the matter is ........

If you are going to run 40's or larger might want to really consider running something other than mini truck axles. So just bite the bullet and blow the dust off that money and do it. You have a couple of months, so get busy dam it tried of you breaking crap. :flipoff2:

I know I know ....... you wheel it hard boo-hoo.

just do it .. :moon:

Last edited:
haha, all good input and keep 'em coming.

Went to order the 6 shooters last night and a little birdy told me TG is having a sale in a couple weeks so I'll likely hold off till then. I've bounced the idea of a hybrid axle around a couple of times especially since 40 diffs seem to be plentiful around here since Josh left. :flipoff2:

And yes Rock as you know I do wheel it hard but aint no excuse. If I get tired of breaking crap I'll buy a Lexus and pretend it's worth a sh*t.. :crybaby:

Them jars ain't got doll hairs in them, but they will make you feel like a million bucks!!

You can spend $500 on a lot of things including booze and hookers (maybe not at the same time) but I choose a worthless pile of mashed potato.

Shooter knuckles w steering arms, new knuckle wipers and Wilwood proportioning valve for the disc brakes.

20160819_134850.jpg

That knuckle wiper kit is probably my favorite thing TG makes. They are one step shy of impossible to install, but they work well and save a lot of time on future R&R's.

Are you doing anything about the king pins when you put the new knuckles on?

You putting that valve in-cab for on-the-fly adjustments or does it just go near where the old LSPV was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom