80 shock thread - familiar territory could use update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I the FOR has to be close to the OME 861 & the Slinky front.
The FOR coils stack in the 1st rate just the same as the OME & Slinky.
Here are the rates in lbs.
OME front 861 is 170/250
Front Slinky is 160/260

I would really like to know for myself what the rates of those FORs are...
I think my coils must be the generation 1 coils because the don't stack or look like dual rate coils. I believe its an FOR setup because the sway bar spacers say FOR on them. Everything was done by the x2 previous owner so i dont have any info

I have read through a few of the shock threads but still feel like I don't know enough about suspension to make a reasonably good decision about my current situation and would like some help. I have an unarmored 1997 LC on stock suspension with 33 inch Michelin LTX2 (they have a pretty stiff side wall for this size vehicle and make the ride a little harsh) I likely still am running the original suspension at 200,000 miles. The springs are saggy and the shocks aren't doing there job as well as they used to. I can't afford a lift at this time but eventually want something like the icon stage 2 or autocraft set up with slinkys but wont be able to for a few years.

So here is the question - can I run a set of shocks from ICON designed for a 2-3 inch lift on my current springs and do the lift part later or will it damage the shocks?

If running Icons on saggy stock coils isn't a good idea - what other options are out there? I know the OEM shocks are still available but the RH rear springs are unobtainable. I am not too keen on going with old man emu stock height springs. Are there other springs available? What other shocks besides OEM are people running without a lift that people like?

Lastly - should I even replace my coils at this point or just wait for a few years to do the lift? I do a little offroading on my current stock set up and get to most of the places I need to go (albeit slowly). Any problems with running old springs besides loosing a little height?

Thanks.

I have read through a few of the shock threads but still feel like I don't know enough about suspension to make a reasonably good decision about my current situation and would like some help. I have an unarmored 1997 LC on stock suspension with 33 inch Michelin LTX2 (they have a pretty stiff side wall for this size vehicle and make the ride a little harsh) I likely still am running the original suspension at 200,000 miles. The springs are saggy and the shocks aren't doing there job as well as they used to. I can't afford a lift at this time but eventually want something like the icon stage 2 or autocraft set up with slinkys but wont be able to for a few years.

So here is the question - can I run a set of shocks from ICON designed for a 2-3 inch lift on my current springs and do the lift part later or will it damage the shocks?

If running Icons on saggy stock coils isn't a good idea - what other options are out there? I know the OEM shocks are still available but the RH rear springs are unobtainable. I am not too keen on going with old man emu stock height springs. Are there other springs available? What other shocks besides OEM are people running without a lift that people like?

Lastly - should I even replace my coils at this point or just wait for a few years to do the lift? I do a little offroading on my current stock set up and get to most of the places I need to go (albeit slowly). Any problems with running old springs besides loosing a little height?

Thanks.

you asked for someone's opinion:

why spend money twice? you'll be further back in the long run.

My suggestion is to buy what you can now and enjoy your ride; until it's time to move on. Icon can be nice but it's also pricey.

if you're going places with a saggy stock set up now, why not go with an ironman or ome set up, I have heard ok things from dobinson too (not sure how that stacks up price wise). Slap it on, save some money, enjoy, revisit in 3 years. The OEM schocks are going to cost you anyway.

Do the full thing; there are options out there and spending 2gs is not necessary IMO

You can do can do stock OEM shocks & OME 861/862 stock replacement coils for less than you think. Check it out. I got my 862s for $158 on Amazon no tax & free shipping. Look Beno up for the shocks.

You can do can do stock OEM shocks & OME 861/862 stock replacement coils for less than you think. Check it out. I got my 862s for $158 on Amazon no tax & free shipping. Look Beno up for the shocks.

I have heard the OME springs are a little stiff and shorter extension than OEM shocks so they limit droop. I've already contacted Beno about the shocks which is how I found out the OEM right rear spring is unavailable (the other 3 corners are still available).

If you are lightly loaded as you wrote you will be riding in the softer rate of the dual rate coil. When you load up you will welcome the firmer rate... I'm running the 862s +30mm in the rear & really happy with them over the 860 mediums I had.

When your ready for the longer shocks you then can add 30mm coil spacers that will give you the free height that will allow the longer travel shocks.
If your shocks are ok for now you can just get the coils to start. The great thing about this you can build as you go.

As for stock coils & the longer shocks, the coils will still need coils spacers to retain in the bucket. @sbman is a perfect example. He ran stock coils plus spacer & Fox shocks that are equivalent to the OME L shocks lenght. As measured 26.3" collar to collar. If I recall correctly he is now on the OME stock height coils. @sbman what say you?

Last edited:
I felt it was worth me adding not really a data point but a real world experience with Icon shocks. I met a group a couple of months ago and ran the hole in the rock trail with some fellow cruisers. There were several 80 series trucks on the trail. My rig had a RTT running a 4 inch slee lift with OME sport shocks. Another 80 had a 6 inch slee lift with the remote reservoir icon shocks. I followed behind him on the trail and literally within 30 minutes i could feel and see the difference. My shocks were starting to fade and i was getting massive amounts of side to side wallowing. He was higher with a larger RTT and was MUCH more stable than i was. He was even able to get out and dial them up to make them perform even better. By the exit of the trip i was cursing my shocks and if Icon was on the trail with a set of shocks i would have bought them on the spot.

I realize they are a lot of $$ but the fact that they are adjustable, can be rebuilt and just plain perform much better than a standard shock, i was really impressed.

I have a feeling i will have a set of Icon socks on my truck in the near future.

I have read through a few of the shock threads but still feel like I don't know enough about suspension to make a reasonably good decision about my current situation and would like some help. I hav
20160712_143203.jpg
20160712_143224.jpg
e an unarmored 1997 LC on stock suspension with 33 inch Michelin LTX2 (they have a pretty stiff side wall for this size vehicle and make the ride a little harsh) I likely still am running the original suspension at 200,000 miles. The springs are saggy and the shocks aren't doing there job as well as they used to. I can't afford a lift at this time but eventually want something like the icon stage 2 or autocraft set up with slinkys but wont be able to for a few years.

Thanks.

I think that if you are definitely wanting to go ICON or Autocraft (great choices, I think) you may be able to get away with buying 1" spacers and use your current springs and the ICON shocks, although the Autocraft shocks are really long so they may bottom on up travel which is very bad. You want the bumpstops to hit, not the shock. You could do drops on your bumpstops to get you by.

I appreciate your situation and had a dilema of my own, though different. I have a very good 4" lift but wanted to go ICON shocks, then eventually slinkys. Like you, I could't swing the $$ just now for all of it (probably well worth it though). I did a major plan change and went with Slee resevoir shocks. I just got them and they look REALLY nice. I wont have the droop of the slinky, but I want more speed control on big bumps so these should be excellent. Perhaps someday I will sell my whole suspension used and go to Autocraft, but after talking to the guys at Slee, I think this will be awesome.

20160712_143203.jpg

You'll have to let us know how the slee's work out @dogfishlake. They look great and I have been considering them as well but just haven't heard much about them after they came on the market. It would be nice to get a comparison of the slee's and icons but doubt that will happen or that it would be helpful to me since my rig is so light comparatively. Some day I would like to add armor but at the moment I am just taking care of the things that need to be replaced and fixed. I may just end up saving my money to buy everything at once instead of piecing it together over time but figured if I could use the shocks now and do a lift later without all the

Anyone know cost and how often icon's need to be rebuilt/serviced? How bout the slee"s?

You'll have to let us know how the slee's work out @dogfishlake. They look great and I have been considering them as well but just haven't heard much about them after they came on the market. It would be nice to get a comparison of the slee's and icons but doubt that will happen or that it would be helpful to me since my rig is so light comparatively. Some day I would like to add armor but at the moment I am just taking care of the things that need to be replaced and fixed. I may just end up saving my money to buy everything at once instead of piecing it together over time but figured if I could use the shocks now and do a lift later without all the

Anyone know cost and how often icon's need to be rebuilt/serviced? How bout the slee"s?
I will definitely report back. The shocks are made for Slee to their spec by ADS. The quality looks very good. Christo emailed me with detailed specs and said they are valved for a loaded overland rig off the shelf. Don't know how long on the service, but I'm hoping for a few years of use. I believe ICON is around $150/shock to rebuild the 2.5 resis (ouch)

good to know.

Thanks.
The ICON stage 1 shocks are intended for 0"-3" lift. I installed my ICON shocks at the same time I installed a lift, so I can't comment on how they work with 20 year old stock springs. With my odd choice of OME medium front and heavy rear springs, I was surprised (and disappointed) how firm the ride had become. After a year or two in my truck combo, I've decided I like it. I think I still prefer the stock ride, but have come to like what I have. I have not driven any washboard road since putting on the ICONs, so I don't have any feedback about shock fade.

One thing that bugged me about the ICONs, is that the fronts arrived with only one bag of rubber bushings and nuts to attach them. I ended up using rubber bushings from my old shocks. Three attempts to contact ICON met with no response. That colors my opinions of the shocks, but overall I'm still happy with my shocks.

Did you go back to who you got them from for the fitting kits ?

I tried reaching the company that made the product, and boxed it for sale. I suppose I could try reaching the company that bought the shocks from ICON, and sold them to me.

Put the Slee shocks on today. On the road they feel about the same as my OME L shocks, firm and controlled. I did a rip through my woods on my 2 track trail and was able to do it probably twice as fast as I could have before. I hit some pretty big bumps as fast as I could, but it's tight with trees. I didn't have the center diff locked and got some abs and I had it sliding through some corners to give an idea of speed. I was probably going between 15 and 25 mph

Here's a link to the video of running through my woods on the Slee shocks. Not great quality and my creaky roof rack made the sound crappy, but you can get an idea of how it went.

Nice, thanks @dogfishlake for posting the video. I just read through your build thread and you have done a great job on your truck.

Thanks, it's been fun and I'm looking forward to using it instead of always wrenching on it!

I the FOR has to be close to the OME 861 & the Slinky front.
The FOR coils stack in the 1st rate just the same as the OME & Slinky.
Here are the rates in lbs.
OME front 861 is 170/250
Front Slinky is 160/260

I would really like to know for myself what the rates of those FORs are...

Well...I'm hanging out a bit doing some much needed maintenance so figured I'd report in. I don't know the rates of the FOR coils, too many years of fried gray matter. I want to say the "heavier" rate was 250 and lighter was 190.

In any case, I've been using the Fox 2.0 remotes for about 5 years, eye to eye with adapters, 10" travel. I had picked them up from Downsouth Motorsports based on word at the time that they had 80 series valving nailed. Talked to them, said my 80 was lighter than typical, they said use our valve settings anyway. Those are seemingly funky, like 90/80 up front, but I haven't touched it in years now suspension-wise and they have felt completely tuned across the entire suspension travel to the FOR coils, both unloaded and loaded.

I should hang around and catch up on what has changed - look at those OME coils :D - but I still think you don't want to unbalance the front and rear suspension by adding a bunch of shock travel that is driven purely by having a pin mount style shock.

So if I had a set of FOR coils on my rig, and I didn't want to spend a ton just to get rid of the OME shocks, I'd call Downsouth and get the 10" Fox 2.0 remotes plus the eye adapters (not sure if anybody sells 80 specific?) and lose those pin mounts. Or pick another 10" remote res depending on the bank account.

Cool to see new options, I need to read up more about money I am not going to spend. Well, maybe some coilovers on the new to me '04 Sequoia...the family has finally almost outgrown the 80 for long trips...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom