FJ60 Transfer Case Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

Slowly working through my '87 FJ60 and fixing issues. Since I bought it last year, I have had a gear oil leak at the transfer case. I replaced the front output shaft seal which helped, but still had a small leak (using synthetic gear oil which probably does not help the leaks). I also noticed that my front output shaft has a lot of free-play (i.e. Lateral movement) probably ruining the seal. I am guessing this free-play is not suppose to be present. I am also guessing I need to remove & rebuild the transfer case. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks for any help,
Stoshzack

Yes, if stuff is wobbly, it's worn. And everything wears together. Best to rebuild it now before it grenades a bearing and destroys the transfer while driving on the freeway.
Recommended way to do it is to drop the TMS & TFR together, then work on it off the truck.

The FSM has excellent instructions and there are a lot of threads here on mud detailing the fun.

If you've got the cash (or credit) def get the 5 speed. It'll put you 2500 in the hole.
Dropping the transmission w transfer is definitely not something you want to pussy foot around with. It's freaking heavy, awkward and "dangerous" to deal with if you don't have a good jack.

I had removed a FJ60 transmission three times in the past on my and other people's cruisers just using a floor jack. I don't recommend it and I would never do it that way again. It's too easy to screw up and drop it.. Though I never did.

Do yourself a big favor and get a good transmission jack at Harbor Freight. It'll make the job a breeze and fun. Don't get that $100 cheapo red thing.
You can sell it on Craigslist afterwards when you're done. Make sure it has enough lift to reach the tranny.

Here are some inspirational pictures.

Got to create a way to support the rear of the engine when the TMS is removed while you jack up the side of the car high enough to pull the tranny out from under it.
This was how I did it. Worked well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you've got the cash (or credit) def get the 5 speed. It'll put you 2500 in the hole.
Dropping the transmission w transfer is definitely not something you want to pussy foot around with. It's freaking heavy, awkward and "dangerous" to deal with if you don't have a good jack.

I had removed a FJ60 transmission three times in the past on my and other people's cruisers just using a floor jack. I don't recommend it and I would never do it that way again. It's too easy to screw up and drop it.. Though I never did.

Do yourself a big favor and get a good transmission jack at Harbor Freight. It'll make the job a breeze and fun. Don't get that $100 cheapo red thing.
You can sell it on Craigslist afterwards when you're done. Make sure it has enough lift to reach the tranny.

Here are some inspirational pictures.

Got to create a way to support the rear of the engine when the TMS is removed while you jack up the side of the car high enough to pull the tranny out from under it.
This was how I did it. Worked well.

Are you doing that in a parking garage?!

how many miles on clutch and on transmission?

If both of those are solid, i would OH t case only and NOT remove the transmission leaving that supported in truck. (remember to drain both t case and transmission).
Mudrak and others often just detach the two to separate OR mount as it is very unbalanced combo unit and much easier to install one by one.

You need access to a press for the OH, you can buy a harbor freight and use once per year or borrow another parties (thanks sean). I have OH 15 split t cases, pretty easy. Only tough job is getting the output shaft needle bearing out and degreasing parts (I only now drop things off at machine shop for $20-30 cleaning charge).

5 speeds are the single best driving improvement you can do but added cost of clutch etc costs may not be in budget now.

Any if you do pull the transmission off, replace each of the 4 bellhousing bolts with longer bolts (3+") so you can slide-disengage the clutch in a straight line before removing the long ones and dropping transmission.

Thanks @Output Shaft and @rick_d

Only 114k on transmission & vehicle, but looks like the clutch might already have been replaced at least once - not sure as I have no history.

It would be nice to do transfer only at this point.

I'm doing my clutch next week when my dad gets to town. I was replacing u joints recently and noticed a small leak in the front output on my t-case. Then I noticed the lateral play you're describing. I really wish I had noticed that earlier because I would have bought the tcase kit and done that job at the same time. It's not in the budget right now so I'm going to have to rebuild it next month sometime. How difficult is it to rebuild the t-case with the tranny still mounted? Also, I don't have a press. Is it possible to spit n' cuss your way through without one?

A press is mandatory. You don't have to own one, just take the parts that need press work to a shop that has a press. They'll do it for you. Doesn't cost much. Also they'll have all the plates n stuff to do it right. Can't disassemble the output shaft (uhh ummmm) or install new bearings on it without a press.

The hazard of overhauling the transfer while it's still under the car, bolted to the transmission, is dirt contamination from above.

@cps432 - you might reconsider doing the transfer rebuild while you do the clutch. Maybe beg, borrow or plead for the $250 to get the rebuild kit.

That is what I decided to do after I saw a post in another thread by @Output Shaft on transfer case contamination from dirt.

Ok... Selling a guitar....

I tried to install a 5-speed + toybox + transfer case by myself. I highly recommend at least one helper.

Yes, if stuff is wobbly, it's worn. And everything wears together. Best to rebuild it now before it grenades a bearing and destroys the transfer while driving on the freeway.
Recommended way to do it is to drop the TMS & TFR together, then work on it off the truck.

The FSM has excellent instructions and there are a lot of threads here on mud detailing the fun.
Are there any concise write ups on rebuilding the t case? I've been searching all morning and I'm finding lots of info, but it's scattered. I have the FSM and have been reading that too. Just trying to arm myself with the best tool, knowledge, before we pull things apart next week.

FYI - talking to some fellow mudders, they say try to get the transmission & transfer case as clean as possible before removing to avoid contamination.

Are there any concise write ups ...

The FSM is the best write up there is. It's very concise. Gives you step by step.

Also, if you've got a question while working by on it, lots of guys here would gladly offer tips to help out. It's a very simple gearbox. There's not much you can screw up if you take your time, follow the instructions carefully, label everything.... And most importantly, take lots of pictures as you disassemble it.... So if you forget how something went, your pictures will save the day.

If you feel unsure, start a new "My First Transfer Rebuild" thread and ask questions. Members will pipe in.

Any if you do pull the transmission off, replace each of the 4 bellhousing bolts with longer bolts (3+") so you can slide-disengage the clutch in a straight line before removing the long ones and dropping transmission.

@rick_d Do you know size/thread of these bellhousing bolts? Do you remember where you got yours? Just now getting around to doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom