2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. Toyota does not provide engineering information related to part number supersessions.

Yes, same as LX.

Onur, could you double check the part number for the upper tank 16441-50370? I can only find one part number for all years... if this is the case, the superseded radiator could have the same old problem.... or maybe they installed new tanks on the later radiators, or eliminated a vibration or???

Any updates on a newer rad / part # for this issue? Having mine replaced today and would like to ask for the better choice f there is one available.
Thanks

Any updates on a newer rad / part # for this issue? Having mine replaced today and would like to ask for the better choice f there is one available.
Thanks

I replaced mine with the TYC 13080 from Amazon. They are currently selling them for $191.95

Is it junk? I don't know yet, it's been okay so far.

I replaced mine with the TYC 13080 from Amazon. They are currently selling them for $191.95

Is it junk? I don't know yet, it's been okay so far.
thanks for the reply - its in Toyotas hands now, their charge to me is around $700 +/-. bit more than I thought it'd be but I don't have to screw with it or worry about it for a long time so that's worth it to me.

I bought mine from Toyota three months ago. Part number 16400-50383

will you ask if they added trans fluid after replacing radiator.
just curious how much is in it.

I bought mine from Toyota three months ago. Part number 16400-50383

will you ask if they added trans fluid after replacing radiator.
just curious how much is in it.
I sure will - how are those two items connected?

the transmission cooler is integrated into the radiator. a small amount of trans fluid is lost during the disconnecting of the hoses, and what ever is left in the old radiator.
Since I replaced my radiator myself, just curious if the shop adds trans fluid, or if it is not enough to worry about.

thanks for the explanation. Now I can ask with some knowledge backing up the question

Does anyone know if the radiator for the 5.7L is the same for the Tundra and Sequoia as it is for the LC?

Does anyone know if the radiator for the 5.7L is the same for the Tundra and Sequoia as it is for the LC?
take this part number and check it out - Part number 16400-50383

And this is the new rad #

image.jpeg

I checked my radiator out after seeing this post. Looks like mine has s very small hairline crack developing. I have time, but going to swap it anyways. I have 135k on the clock.

@NetJunky if you can see the crack, you are running on borrowed time. Mine lasted about 2 weeks before letting loose. If you want to do the job yourself, it isn't that difficult.
The hoses come off pretty easily, and the mounting bolts are "somewhat" accessible.

fingers crossed. My crack is the thickness of a dime. It's just a start but I do have the radiator waiting. Just needing the time to throw it in. Plus I want to do the brake bleed and a few other repairs.

swapping out the radiator can be done in as little as an hour. There are some tricks that will help.
Remove the skid plate and drain the radiator, while it is draining, on the new radiator, take off the passenger's side plastic mounting piece.
back to the truck, disconnect the hoses. disconnect the trans cooler lines.
take out the screws/nuts that hold the fan shroud. remove the passenger's side radiator mount bolts from the radiator. leave the mount in place.
on the driver's side, use the holes in the grill to remove the radiator mount bolts (leave this piece on the radiator)
20160424_070940.jpg

driver's side Radiator mounting bolt as seen through the grill

From below, slide the radiator up. Once it is about half way out, you can pull it out from the top. having an assistant at this point will help greatly.
slide in the new radiator and reconnect in opposite order.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan..................... I have to admit, this nags me. But with 131k on my odo, there is not even a hint of exterior degradation.

some STD's are that way too - just get it done - lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom