Wanted: FJ40 4spd and xfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a 4spd and transfer case out of a 40 laying around collecting dust? Know where one is or someone else that has one?

Let me know please

Thanks
Jason

I know where one is, but it's still in his 40. He has an SM420 for a future swap, and will need a 3 speed bell housing and wants a 3 speed tcase.

Main problem is that it hasn't moved in probably 5 years, and I don't think he'd do the swap without having the SM420 adapter plate in hand so he could get it back together.

Dang man! I had one and sold it on mud a while back.

Are you set on a 4spd?
Just thinking, why not a split case or Orion (more $)

Thanks @YotaJosh.

Fairly set on a 4spd @fjfodee. I could buy @cyberfalco 60 4spd and split case but my reading shows it involves a little more work than I'm prepared for right now. If I don't find a 40 4spd and 4spd case, I've been talking to Georg about a 40 4spd and Orion combo. The more I think about it, the more I like the Orion route.

So the Orion route is probably out for right now. Looking at $2500 to have one built and delivered. So for now I'm still searching for a 4spd and t case. I'll get around to an Orion some other time.

I know where one is, but it's still in his 40. He has an SM420 for a future swap, and will need a 3 speed bell housing and wants a 3 speed tcase.

Main problem is that it hasn't moved in probably 5 years, and I don't think he'd do the swap without having the SM420 adapter plate in hand so he could get it back together.

I'll have a 3spd bell housing and 3 speed t case when I finish my swap...

Don't know if it would help, but I have a 4 speed from a '76 FJ40 with 16 spline output. It would be perfect for a rebuild and Orion swap. I'll be going down to Georg's to pick up my Orion soon, so if you end up having him build it for you, I'll make you a good deal on the tranny and deliver it to georg for you. @orangefj45

Disclaimer-This tranny was good when pulled, but it was pulled 10 years ago and has been stored inside in my garage since. Based on that, I would recommend a rebuild with a bearing and seal kit, though it is likely usable as is.

Now, with that said, If I had a 3 speed bellhousing, and a 3 speed case, and was on a budget, I'd do an SM465/3 speed case or and SM420/3speed case. They made another run of adapters for the SM420 here:

SM420 Adapter : Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories

It just so happens I also will have a spare SM420 if you decide to go that route. If you plan to go wheeling in this truck, an SM420 is the cheapest and best thing you could do.

Don't know if it would help, but I have a 4 speed from a '76 FJ40 with 16 spline output. It would be perfect for a rebuild and Orion swap. I'll be going down to Georg's to pick up my Orion soon, so if you end up having him build it for you, I'll make you a good deal on the tranny and deliver it to georg for you. @orangefj45

Disclaimer-This tranny was good when pulled, but it was pulled 10 years ago and has been stored inside in my garage since. Based on that, I would recommend a rebuild with a bearing and seal kit, though it is likely usable as is.

Now, with that said, If I had a 3 speed bellhousing, and a 3 speed case, and was on a budget, I'd do an SM465/3 speed case or and SM420/3speed case. They made another run of adapters for the SM420 here:

SM420 Adapter : Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories

It just so happens I also will have a spare SM420 if you decide to go that route. If you plan to go wheeling in this truck, an SM420 is the cheapest and best thing you could do.

Thanks for the help/info. Georg was very helpful this evening when I spoke with him on the matter. He actually recommended a different route given the list of things that I still need to do to this truck. He brought up a good point about running a 4spd and stock case until I'm ready to really hit the rocks because I can swap an Orion case in fairly easily any time. Wish I was ready to get the Orion now, because your offer on the 4spd would be very convienent. I will also research the sm420/465 route to see if that might be something I can tackle with my limited amount of skills and space. Any info on that swap would be appreciated!

Thanks

The primary advantage of an SM420/465 swap is the extremely deep first gear. You basically get an instant great 4 wheeler. But you give up the synchronized first gear, and close transmission ratios. Plus, both the SM420 and SM465 are about the toughest and most durable transmission ever made, so it's hard to go wrong. Basically, an SM420 with a 3 speed case behind it, gives you the same off road capability as an H42 4 speed with an Orion behind it.

In my mind, the SM465 is the tranny to use if ultimate heavy duty is your game. It's a beast. The SM420 has an even lower first gear (7:1) and is shorter by 1.5 inches, so in a way, it's an even better swap in an FJ40. It's basically everyone's off road transmission of choice. ON road, it suffers a bit behind a 2F, because the spit between 3rd and 4th is pretty steep. It's worth a few minor annoyances though.

The Novak Guide to the GM Muncie SM420 Transmission

The Novak Guide to the GM Muncie SM465 Transmission

It depends on your budget. SM420s can usually be had for $200 or so, SM465s a bit more, especially with the 10 spline output you'd want. A Toyota H41 would also be a good swap(5:1 first gear), but again you're talking more $$. If money is no object, H41 + Orion would be the hot set up in an FJ40.

I ran an SM420 + 3 speed case in my FJ40 for many years and it's been great. It's been through the Rubicon countless times. I am moving to SM420/Orion to get even more gearing for the places I like to go.

Anyone have a 4spd and transfer case out of a 40 laying around collecting dust? Know where one is or someone else that has one?

Let me know please

Thanks
Jason

I got like 3 or 4 I think...Im pretty sure one is 74/73 4/3spd combo and the other is a 4/4 then I have like 4 or 5 donor cases or both trans and tcases. You are welcome to come pick one out

Thanks Bobby. I'll give you a shout this week.

@Cruiserdrew what can you tell me about an H41 swap behind my 2f. I have a line on a 16 spline H41 but I'm not sure what it would take to put it behind an '87 2f.

@Cruiserdrew what can you tell me about an H41 swap behind my 2f. I have a line on a 16 spline H41 but I'm not sure what it would take to put it behind an '87 2f.

With a bellhousing from a 2F, it would directly bolt up. You could switch to a later style clutch and throw out too. You would also need a 1 piece transfer case 75-79, or an Orion could work. It would be a good swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom