transfer case questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my transfer case on my 89' fj62...Can I take a used one off of a spare transmission and just swap it in? I assume I'll need new gaskets and seals ..or can I do it without getting those? or should I get a rebuild kit and rebuild the one that's already on there now? I was going to just swap the used untested transmission and transfer case on it I have but it was taken out of the donor truck wrong and the kick down cable and neutral start switch is toast. Would be easier to try and change the neutral start switch and kick down cable ? Money of course is an issue, just trying to figure out best cheapest option. clear as mud? thanks all...oh and happy fathers day!

Last edited:
Happy Father's day to you.

If you dont already know...You will find that the tcase is removed by disassembling it to some degree. it does not come off as a unit. Hence "split case".

If you are careful, you can keep roughly two halves intact... if you follow the FSM, it will guide you toward disassembling damn near the entire thing. this is not nessesarily the smartest approach unless you want to rebuild.

You may not need new gasket as some report RTV will work for the case halves. I prefer gaskets myself, with a little schelack (FSM says dry IIRC).

Good luck hope that helps.

Happy Father's day to you.

If you dont already know...You will find that the tcase is removed by disassembling it to some degree. it does not come off as a unit. Hence "split case".

If you are careful, you can keep roughly two halves intact... if you follow the FSM, it will guide you toward disassembling damn near the entire thing. this is not nessesarily the smartest approach unless you want to rebuild.

You may not need new gasket as some report RTV will work for the case halves. I prefer gaskets myself, with a little schelack (FSM says dry IIRC).

Good luck hope that helps.

actually this helps a lot...excellent advice, thanks! :beer::beer:

Swapping a NSS between transmissions is easy and less than an hour with FSM in hand.

Swapping the used A440F and Tcase or swapping the tcase onto the current A440F in your truck are both easy options.

Basic gaskets will be needed. Inspect bearings when tcase is split if swapping.

Let me know if you need a new kick down cable. I bought one last month and it fixed the frozen cable issue only to find out 3rd & 4th gear were toast. We are converting to an H55 so I have a new cable to sell. Plans are to post it in the parts section but have not gotten around to it. Let me know. Thanks, Jim.

Swapping a NSS between transmissions is easy and less than an hour with FSM in hand.

Swapping the used A440F and Tcase or swapping the tcase onto the current A440F in your truck are both easy options.

Basic gaskets will be needed. Inspect bearings when tcase is split if swapping.

Ok good

Let me know if you need a new kick down cable. I bought one last month and it fixed the frozen cable issue only to find out 3rd & 4th gear were toast. We are converting to an H55 so I have a new cable to sell. Plans are to post it in the parts section but have not gotten around to it. Let me know. Thanks, Jim.

Thanks, if I need one I'll let you know

Now my cruiser will not start..just click no starter turn over. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Getting a little discouraged with it all.

That's happened to me before. In all cases it was that the starter wasn't getting enough juice from the battery...due to either the voltage being too low, or due to corrosion on one or both ends of the big fat cable that goes to the starter.

That's happened to me before. In all cases it was that the starter wasn't getting enough juice from the battery...due to either the voltage being too low, or due to corrosion on one or both ends of the big fat cable that goes to the starter.

I'll look into that...I had started to remove the transmission but only got to removed the driveshafts, access plate inside cab and the four connectors before I needed my garage for something else and put it back together. I figured it was the connectors especially the one for the safety neutral switch. I took a closer look at those but did not see the problem.

@lovetoski, so I got under the truck again this afternoon and took the boot of the starter wire and noticed something hidden from my view that looked like something should be plugged into it..so I took another look at the mess of connectors in and around the safety neutral switch connectors and there was one there I earlier ignored because it was cover in gunk and look like nothing had plugged into it for awhile...cleaned it off, plugged it in and just like that the old girl started....crazy. So thank you for adding your two cents to the discussion.

Update..I finally got the transfer case replaced in the fj and thought I'd show some pics on why the case was so noisy...Do not look if easily offended...

kuoq5a1rmvBkuFwDfBTsiXL4BawMJYA0mEddHZ8J4-d1BcsYFITsf7vVR5dgj_jIYhM3qfpruH_RDUqVuG9lA4vwCCDfdSjbHGf4BU4Y-twhTDQCK4qbAb2e5roDsIhGlgrfleqkos2ifXZX8vvkUP3LfPWD7gJqej4H9UKHXWMLLfMI0sCnOfIl9VxYMvxVet4ROWNDohMeKNbLusUNsNb3bLtNNv4lnl1R9vFCubdlK7bVdLX8xa57yAKhxlgZLBA9vMfKD8VYCaAT-ThbuDjiYo5Wt6UeFs1mwIhWmUMfmJmq3UXH2nw82M7tvAmRTg5ZTLCNfEjQv9GiD-WmpQcJNjWJA0JJd7RRzdMrmZDKl_nHMH4SaMtS3rhSKn6FpTQDCHWRfcNhVqHjWOkaAqV1C8xYmIEF3wa3fnQZPPPp_e7BQ5Nae_u1qkK-O2niij62SNlXRjsXGdxidKFXlMaUHyMRbJWzpDCXNumLm0axD9iO3Yh-pN0zjMRn32uIksEahnQIMHe053vCiwycrhdEeYi4p2DFOFbYhdnruPPvgGkK5rO4kJJ6t-vxpUXZNutWQVhL1M9tB1g915QEWtGSBYmhaVMIKs9CTMIQk_fgufTm_w=w1241-h698-no

Last edited:
Ugly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom