antennae repair write up with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody know the p/n for the mast repair kit for the 96 "WITHOUT" the radio on up/down control, in other words, just the dash buttons up/down only version?

thanks

doug

I own a '96 LC and ordered a mast from Cruiserparts.net and received the wrong part. I ended up having to order one from a Toyota Dealership parts department using my VIN. If all you need is the mast, and not the nylon cable, it's an easy fix. Run the mast all the way up and unscrew the mast from the cable and screw the new mast into the cable and run it back down, done. If the nylon cable is broken inside the mechanism, you'll have to remove the unit and take it apart, clean everything up, re-grease, install the new nylon cable, put it back together and re-install it in the fender. Then install the new mast as mentioned above. Good luck!

I own a '96 LC and ordered a mast from Cruiserparts.net and received the wrong part. I ended up having to order one from a Toyota Dealership parts department using my VIN. If all you need is the mast, and not the nylon cable, it's an easy fix. Run the mast all the way up and unscrew the mast from the cable and screw the new mast into the cable and run it back down, done. If the nylon cable is broken inside the mechanism, you'll have to remove the unit and take it apart, clean everything up, re-grease, install the new nylon cable, put it back together and re-install it in the fender. Then install the new mast as mentioned above. Good luck!

well, mine is working, but I had a couple instances where it was sticking and I am afraid its going to let go, so I thought I would prepare for a mast and cable change.....and yea, that pic for the 91 thru 96 version looks wrong, isn't it supposed to have teeth and whats that big metal piece for? maybe they just used the wrong pic???

The one I linked definitely has teeth and is for the later models.

The one I linked definitely has teeth and is for the later models.

I think later models is the key, as the same last digits is referenced in the beginning of this thread and my 96 is an fzj80 and has no radio controlled antenna, [dash push buttons only] so I think I need a different part number

96Cruiser, your Cruiser is exactly like mine and after I received the wrong part from Crusierpart.net I went to a Toyota Dealership and had them order the right part using the VIN (for me it was the mast only, didn't need the cable) . I was having the truck painted so I did replace all the attaching parts that hold the mast to the fender (rubber and chrome pieces).

Most likely the mast will solve the problem.

I have a 97 Anniversary FJZ...... my antenna/mast is out of rig. Notched/geared cable is broken with about 4 inches hanging out if in 95% down position. (Antenna compressed all the way down to only the skinniest tip section extended) I cannot get tip off old antenna otherwise it is not bent. Just the broken cable. Do I just need a new mast and that is it true I can feed the new cable down in there and leave old? Can I call the desk and talk to you and order required part? Thanks Cruiser Dan. DLP

I retired from the dealer parts business earlier this year and I am now the Curator of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City UT.

You can obtain a replacement mast from any Toyota dealer, the part number is 86337-60080. You will need to remove the antenna and disassemble it in order to remove the broken cable. Do be careful however because if you lose or break anything in the process you will need to replace the entire antenna assembly.

I have a 97 Anniversary FJZ...... my antenna/mast is out of rig. Notched/geared cable is broken with about 4 inches hanging out if in 95% down position. (Antenna compressed all the way down to only the skinniest tip section extended) I cannot get tip off old antenna otherwise it is not bent. Just the broken cable. Do I just need a new mast and that is it true I can feed the new cable down in there and leave old? Can I call the desk and talk to you and order required part? Thanks Cruiser Dan. DLP

Hey, funny thing. I just did my mast today. Follow these instructions here:

Power Antenna Mast Replacement

It is quite easy to take out the old cable. Just a couple screws and make sure you don't lose the captive nut and it's good to clean the old grease out of the assembly.

edit: The hardest part was juggling the assembly to get the 2 screws of the bottom metal bracket off and on.

I retired from the dealer parts business earlier this year and I am now the Curator of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City UT.

You can obtain a replacement mast from any Toyota dealer, the part number is 86337-60080. You will need to remove the antenna and disassemble it in order to remove the broken cable. Do be careful however because if you lose or break anything in the process you will need to replace the entire antenna assembly.

hope you are enjoying your retirement Dan,
and can anyone tell me if this p/n Dan mentions is 1997 only or will work for a 96 that does NOT have the auto antenna feature ie only goes up/down with the dash pushbuttons? I have searched but that is the only p/n I ever see mentioned

thanks

doug

Quick fix:

If you are not OCD and just want to replace your broken antenna quickly without all the hassle, don't bother removing the old broken nylon cable from the housing. Just grease the new nylon cable and shove it into the hole and use the power down button to drive it into the housing. There is plenty of room in there for the old cable and the new one.

hope you are enjoying your retirement Dan,
and can anyone tell me if this p/n Dan mentions is 1997 only or will work for a 96 that does NOT have the auto antenna feature ie only goes up/down with the dash pushbuttons? I have searched but that is the only p/n I ever see mentioned

thanks

doug

86337-60080 applied to 96-97 LX450 and 97 Land Cruiser. 91-96 Land Cruiser uses 86336-60040 which does not include the nylon cable.

Thank you sir. I will visit the museum in the next 2-3 years I hope. DLP

86337-60080 applied to 96-97 LX450 and 97 Land Cruiser. 91-96 Land Cruiser uses 86336-60040 which does not include the nylon cable.

so, is there a p/n for the nylon cable for the 91-96? isn't that what fails the most on these, mines working but I have had a couple scares that it will eventually fail...........

The cable is not officially serviced. The factory repair procedure is replace the antenna assembly.
The cable from a 91 Camry sedan power antenna can be substituted, 86327-22211.

Dan I have a 1990 HDJ81. I have a broken antenna mask. What mask do I need to fix my problem? Do I just use the part #
for the 91 FJ80 or is different cause I have a 1990? Thanks John
Motor still works but nothing comes up and I can't see anything going down either. Came this way from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom