Easy trans swap?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So still goofing around on my project when I should be doing something else, I stumbled across this page on ATI's site. It says there is a bell housing adapter from chevy pattern to 1FZ. Which would make it quite easy to run the chevy transmissions I am guessing. You pair that with Mark's transmission to transfercase adapters and you should be able to swap a beefed up TH400/700R4/4L60/4L80/6L80 type transmission behind the 1FZ and still keep full-time four wheel drive.

ATI Powerglide & Turbo 400 SFI SuperCase® Transmission Case & Accessories

Chevy Bellhousing (only) modified for Toyota 1FZ-45 Adapter kit

Just an idea for those of you that want a better trans but want to retain 1FZ and also full-time 4wd.

Here is the rest of the kit:
http://www.atiracing.com/products/adapterk/akit.htm

Off to P&R with you and trans swapping!

(ok I couldn't resist, sorry)

Well the other thing this might open the doors for is if you wanted to add an Atlas case. You keep the 1FZ, swap in a TH400/700R4/4L60/70/80 put a 4 speed Atlas behind it and probably get new driveshafts and you have a lot of gearing options. Anyways I thought it was interesting because I had not ever heard of the 1FZ to chevy trans adapters and ATI has a very complete setup.

if anything i would want to ditch the 1FZ but keep my toyota trans...

So still goofing around on my project when I should be doing something else, I stumbled across this page on ATI's site. It says there is a bell housing adapter from chevy pattern to 1FZ. Which would make it quite easy to run the chevy transmissions I am guessing. You pair that with Mark's transmission to transfercase adapters and you should be able to swap a beefed up TH400/700R4/4L60/4L80/6L80 type transmission behind the 1FZ and still keep full-time four wheel drive.

ATI Powerglide & Turbo 400 SFI SuperCase® Transmission Case & Accessories

Chevy Bellhousing (only) modified for Toyota 1FZ-45 Adapter kit

Just an idea for those of you that want a better trans but want to retain 1FZ and also full-time 4wd.

Here is the rest of the kit:
ATI Transmission Adapter Kits

That was my thinking when I posted here.

5 speed auto

Maybe we should keep one thread alive instead of so many.

So what your saying is its time for some one to develop an adapter for a toyota 5 speed... phoenix castings is my first thought for a custom bell housinG 1fz to a750f

Well I have kind of given up on Toyota transmissions for my project simply because of lack of aftermarket support, but if you could find out who did this casting for ATI they would at least already have the dimensions and setup for the 1FZ side, and would just need to adapt to the 5 speed side.

But for me this might be a go if I can find a TH400 to fulltime transfercase adapter. You can get TH400's built to hold 1000hp for fairly cheaply and an A343F is never going to take that. And if I swap to 3.73 or 3.545 gears not having an overdrive wouldn't be terrible.

Right around
2500rpms @59-62mph.
3000rpms @70-72mph

Can't the 4L80 take the big horsepower too? That extra gear would be nice.

For a lower hp application, what do you suppose the % horsepower loss is on a GM trans vs the a343?

Yeah, the 4L80E is a strong trans too, but very large. The stock A343F with fluid is about 178lbs a TH400 is about 145lbs and a 4L80E is over 250lbs. You do get an overdrive with the 4L80E but building them is quite expensive for about the same power rating as the TH400 it is almost twice as much. And the 4L80E needs an electronic controller, the TH400 a lot of people just go full manual valve bodies, like driving a manual without the third pedal. lol.

Does the 6L80E share the same bell housing bolt spacing as the TH400? If so you could go with it. I was just remarking that I had no idea this kit even existed so I was letting people know. It might work for a lot of individuals depending on what they want to do.

Toyota-1FZ-FE.jpg

You're approaching 3 grand in parts without the tranny. It could be a huge deterrent for most people.
After all you spend at least $3000 and you essentially have no power gain. Yes you will put more power to the ground, but the same power your engine has anyway.

Of course my dream setup would be the 6L80E transmission. But it is financially unjustified.

Does the 6L80E share the same bell housing bolt spacing as the TH400? If so you could go with it. I was just remarking that I had no idea this kit even existed so I was letting people know. It might work for a lot of individuals depending on what they want to do.

Toyota-1FZ-FE.jpg
I think they all are the same

I thought we had an adapter person that could make these items.

I been watching alot of youtube lately. I think these episodes will be interesting to alot of people here. Back ground info Turbo-yoda built a Duramax powered patrol.

Yeah I don't know of anyone who is making the adapters. I was super psyched about the ATI setup and kind of told myself I would be ok with the fully manualized TH400, even though the gear ratios are 2.75, 1.58, 1. But with 3.545 or 3.73 gears it would be fine. But there isn't a TH400 to fulltime 4 wheel transfercase adapter. Marks wasn't really helpful if the 4L80E adapter would fit. So still kind of floundering trying to find a trans that's going to hold big power and keep fulltime 4wd.

How much torque are you talking about?
Maybe a diesel truck transmission would be better if you are running huge torque numbers. But those trannies are probably too big to fit your 80.

This would be a gateway swap. I been looking at the 48re trans because is the strongest trans with the best aftermarket support. You can go from basic to unbreakable. Here is a example of unbreakable.

The Strongest Dodge Transmission Ever Built - Diesel Power Magazine

I wish I could find a cheap engine so I could experiment without messing with my daily so much.

Yeah I don't know of anyone who is making the adapters. I was super psyched about the ATI setup and kind of told myself I would be ok with the fully manualized TH400, even though the gear ratios are 2.75, 1.58, 1. But with 3.545 or 3.73 gears it would be fine. But there isn't a TH400 to fulltime 4 wheel transfercase adapter. Marks wasn't really helpful if the 4L80E adapter would fit. So still kind of floundering trying to find a trans that's going to hold big power and keep fulltime 4wd.
What about a switch pitch th400? You get two different stall speeds in the torque converter. The only drawback is they only came in BOP bolt patterns.

maybe call Novak adapters about the 6 bolt pattern for the th400 vs 4l80e....? You might need to pretend that like jeeps though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom