Builds Frigid FJ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI all, a little re-introduction to myself. I have wanted an FJ Cruiser since 2006. My first FJ40 was yellow and black, thus I really wanted a solar yellow FJC, but I was newly married and had a serious lack of $$$ for a new rig. Through the next several years I've owned several FJ-40s, 60s, and a 80. Some links there, check my profile for more.
It was fun building and maintaining the old Land Cruisers, but for one reason or another I had to get rid of all of them except the 1968 FJ-40.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was trying to sell my old 2002 7.3 diesel Ford, a guy texts me a pic out of the blue of his 2007 FJC with some tasty goodies and said he wanted to trade his for mine. I thought it might be too good to be true as his was worth several thousand dollars more than mine. We ended up meeting up and buttoning up the trade the next morning.
Pics of my old 7.3 and the first pic he sent of the FJC.

To be continued...

IMG_9253.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

IMG_2054[1].PNG

IMG_2055[1].JPG

I know FJ's get a bad rap for not being as solidly built as a real Land Cruiser, and for the most part that is true. The frame is lighter, no solid front axle and what axle is there is just a cute little thing, horrible blindspots and lack of general outward visibility, and it gets better than 12mpgs. ;) I say that in love, but we all know it's true, at least all of us that run gas Land Cruiser.
It is, however, a great trail runner and that is primarily how I intend to use it along with being a boring DD.
Now to the good stuff. The specs and mods done to the FJ before I got it.
-six speed manual
-All three packages offered for the FJC in 2007
-Everything blacked out
-Two set of rims and tires
-rear backup camera
-rear LED reverse light bars not hooked up
-50" ebay curved light bar
-Highlift jack and mounts
-Expedition One Front bumper
-Warn VR10,0000 winch with synthetic line
-Vision X and PIAA lights on front bumper (only the Vision X's work)
-Weird blingy front grill (OEM was included)
-Expedition One sliders
-Professionally applied Rhino Liner to the roof and front "unibrow"
-Homemade dual battery setup done nicely
-Kenwood double din head unit
-Big sub and amp that took up the ENTIRE trunk space
-Springtail MPAC pet barrier
-Springtail rear hatch rack
-Toytec Coilover lift

You can see why this thing piqued my interest! Quite a bit of the stuff I would do to it had already been done. All of this and it had just under 100,000 miles! Here's a few pics of how it was when I got it home.

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

Last edited:
The list of things I want to do isn't super extensive, but I'm sure it grow. I'll mark off what I got done in yellow.
-baseline fluids
-change air and HVAC filters

-POR 15 undercarriage due to numerous rock chips/surface rust
-get rid of subwoofer and hook up oem speakers

-fix intermittant P0420 and P0430 codes
-install all new switchgear for lights
-clean up PO's screwy light wiring

-install Pfrans LED interior and reverse lighting
-install a Safari Snorkel
-sell OEM rims/tires and buy new 285 series tires
-hook up cb radio and HAM radio

-hook up Ultragauge
-Rhino Line front bumper and sliders

here's some more pics...just because

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_9295.JPG

View attachment 1221939

IMG_9299.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_9341.JPG

Last edited:
After selling the stupid and poorly wired sub/amp combo I decided to pick up Pfrans FJ Cruiser LED kit with the reverse lights as well as a Safari Snorkel. These installs have been done a million times so I won't do a blow by blow analysis, but that LED kit is THE best thing you can do for an older FJ. The interior is so much easier to see in at night.
The Safari Snorkel was purchased for the times that I do take this thing hunting. To get to our cabin we have three stream crossings. Some years there is 6" of water in the creek bed, other years there is 4'+ of water. We hydrolocked two rigs going back there over the past 10 years or so. It's not happening to mine.

More pics.

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

That takes me up to current with the rig. Right now I just have to change out the front dif fluid. The stupid Allen bolt stripped and I had to order a new one.
The frame is partially POR 15'd. Do NOT get that stuff on your skin! It has been four days and its still not coming off with acetone, pain-thinner, or any other combo of abrasives and solvents. Grrrr
The P0420 and 0430 codes seem to lead to cat failure. I'm not thrilled with the $2,500 estimate to replace them form Toyota, so I'm looking into alternatives.

IMG_9302.jpg

I changed out my exhaust manifolds when my primary cats went bad (same codes). Don't bother changing out the O2 sensors hoping your problem will go away (an unnecessary cost and ultimately not the problem). It's a bit of a hassle, but you'll save yourself some serious $$$ if you do it yourself.

The old ones:
Manifolds&Cats (4).jpg

Wife helping out with an extra pair of hands:
Manifolds&Cats (7).jpg

New one in place.
Manifolds&Cats (14).jpg

Travis,

FJcruiser is looking cool. I am designing a custome bumper right now, based somewhat tightly on the expedition 1 bumper. Any chance I could come take a closer look at that beast, grab a few measurements?

Bill

BMThiker,
It looks like new manifold/cats are in my future. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for them and where you purchased them? I'm reluctantly in the market. lol

Bill, feel free to come over anytime to take pics and measurements! I moved so give me a ring on my cell and I'll give you the new addy.

TK

Last edited:
Very nice looking rig, @AKcruiserfreak! I think you got the better deal in the trade.

What's with the cats going bad at only 100K miles? I haven't read many threads about FJC owners needing to replace their catalytic converters. Maybe the PO used some gas additive that was detrimental to cat life?

Letting them stay caked up with mud was probably what killed mine. If they overheat from the extra mud insulation it could cause premature failure. But I've also heard others say that 100K is not unusual for cats.

Very nice looking rig, @AKcruiserfreak! I think you got the better deal in the trade.

What's with the cats going bad at only 100K miles? I haven't read many threads about FJC owners needing to replace their catalytic converters. Maybe the PO used some gas additive that was detrimental to cat life?

Thanks TrickyT! Unfortunately it does seem like the cats on these rigs do have a shelf life. I've seen a number of posts on failures from 20,000-100,000 miles and now that these older FJC's are out of the 85,000 miles emmision warranty, I get to look for new cats. :-(

URD does sell a equal length header and o2 simulator that are on par price-wise with OEM. I am tempted to go that rought as it eliminates two cats and gives a performance boost. Link Here

Last edited:
I got the frame and axles completely POR15'd today! Not fun, but worth it as most of the rear axle and rear part of the frame was exposed metal. It's slowly coming along.
A buddy and I went out and watched the Aurora's for a while last night, so here's some pics to keep you entertained.

TK

fj cruiser.jpg

IMG_9504.JPG

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9574.JPG

Here's a few before and after of the undercarriage. The rear axle and rear frame were the worst. I obviously applyed the POR15 thick and used three coats. It layed down very nicely with a foam brush. This FJ has been down quite a few gravel roads judging by the lack of any uncarriage paint on the rear axle/frame. There's just something "right" about a nice, fresh coat of undercarriage paint.
044.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

Last edited:

Freaking great photo! Really cool. Sorry, nothing to add technically about your POR15 approach to corrosion, other than that I've used POR15 on the sheet metal of the windshield surround of my FJ62 with mixed results. On several spots it appeared to completely stop the corrosion, but in the PS lower corner the corrosion continued unabated and the sheet metal "exploded" from within like a cancer.

As I said in post #10, you've got a very cool rig. Every get as far south as Anchorage? I pass through there every September on my way to Cordova to fish for Coho.

Freaking great photo! Really cool. Sorry, nothing to add technically about your POR15 approach to corrosion, other than that I've used POR15 on the sheet metal of the windshield surround of my FJ62 with mixed results. On several spots it appeared to completely stop the corrosion, but in the PS lower corner the corrosion continued unabated and the sheet metal "exploded" from within like a cancer.

As I said in post #10, you've got a very cool rig. Every get as far south as Anchorage? I pass through there every September on my way to Cordova to fish for Coho.

Thanks! I enjoy getting out and shooting pics. We'll see how the POR15 holds up over time. The corrosion wasn't horrible to begin with and I used the POR15 to primarily coat the bare metal. Worst case scenario is goin back in with a wire wheel I guess.

I actually hit up Anchorage a few times a year to visit family/friends. We'll be headed out over the July 4th weekend.

On a side note my headers from URD FINALLY arrived! That's right, I ordered them the end of March and they just now showed up. The decals I ordered at the same time are still back ordered. Just based on the customer service and wait time alone I cannot recommend this company. Hopefully the headers mount up easily. The install thread will probably hit towards the Fall as I've got a busy Summer planned and just don't have time right now.

TK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom