Official 37" and up picture thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

richarddillard1, sure, agree the stock vehicles are strong as hell. What I'm picking at is the estimated increase in risk of damage due to having 37" tires versus 31, 33, or 35"...

Define damage? I've seen two friends break birfs on the trail, both were due to circumstances unrelated to 37s. One rig was locked while backing up and had the steering turned over. Long day, he was tired, made a mistake that would have broken a birf in a rig with stock tires. Second was a set of way worn birfs that were definitely past their prime.

I've also seen many more days where six or more Land Cruisers on 37s go through the same trail and no one has a single break.

Is there a bigger risk? I guess, but it depends on too many different things. Logic would tell us that bigger tires weigh more, so the threat of breakage should be increased.

I try not to think about the science behind it because I don't know it, likely never will. I run what has worked for a lot of other rigs out here and just make sure I don't drive in a manner that is prone to causing failure of parts.

what gearing are you guys running? 488? 529? I know some ppl say the 529s are "weak" for the front 8". Has anybody had trouble like that with the 9.5 rear?

I'm using 4.88s with 35"...

I have Nitro 5.29s in mine going on 3 years now. No trouble front or rear.

image.jpeg

Here is mine on 37"
Year: 1996
Shocks:KING 2.5 res and other additions
Springs: OME comp 4" front and 5" rear
Bodylift:NONE
Trimming:NONE
Bumpstops:YES HYDRALIC
Wheels:eek:em fj cruiser 17x7.5
Spacers: 1.5" spacer in the rear and none in the front
Tires:toyo mt 37x12.50r17
Castor: MAF 3" brackets
Gears: 5.29 Nitro gears
Lockers: TJM air locker front
Detroit lockers rear

Last edited:
Anyone in this thread getting ready to sell their rig? I'm looking for a trail rig on 37's, lockers, gears, armor, etc. (Would be open to 35's as well) Don't need or want pretty. Some faded paint or a little trail damage is fine. Just don't want to pay up for pretty just to smash off the pretty on the trail. Got cash in hand. I started a thread in the classifieds but am not getting anywhere. I figured I would just go to the thread where all the built rigs are all at. Shoot me a PM/start a conversation if you have something and are considering selling. I'm in Socal but willing to travel up to 500+ miles. Maybe even more if it's the right rig or the right price.

Anyone in this thread getting ready to sell their rig? I'm looking for a trail rig on 37's, lockers, gears, armor, etc. (Would be open to 35's as well) Don't need or want pretty. Some faded paint or a little trail damage is fine. Just don't want to pay up for pretty just to smash off the pretty on the trail. Got cash in hand. I started a thread in the classifieds but am not getting anywhere. I figured I would just go to the thread where all the built rigs are all at. Shoot me a PM/start a conversation if you have something and are considering selling. I'm in Socal but willing to travel up to 500+ miles. Maybe even more if it's the right rig or the right price.

There is this, and I have a engine couple hours north. (the ad isn't mine), could probably get it a lot cheaper.

97 Toyota fj80 landcruiser parting out

There is this, and I have a engine couple hours north. (the ad isn't mine), could probably get it a lot cheaper.

97 Toyota fj80 landcruiser parting out
I actually looked into that one. The amount of work needed to get it road worthy and able to pass CA smog would be WAY beyond what it's worth. It's basically a bone stock, heavily neglected 80 with huge bald tires. It's cheap but in the end I will spend way more. The reason I want a pre built rig this time around is because I now have 4 kids and two jobs. I just don't have the time to build another rig from scratch. If someone was looking for a cheap project truck then that would be the perfect fit. I need something trail worthy day one with no giant projects. I got the green light to get a dedicated trail rig from the the boss:princess: ONLY if it wasn't another project truck.

There must some 37" and upper out there looking for a new home. Nobody west of the rockies looking to sell their built 80? I'm hopeful I will be one of the guys posting in this thread with my rig on 37's soon. I guess we will see.

Moved the front axle forward 1 1/2" with our plates and offset bushes, and longer rear arms to move the rear diff back with longer tailshaft so i dont have to trim the back doors for 38 x 13/16 TSLs for winter. May add 1/2" body lift for clearance if I need to.

Will probably run 16 x 8 with 3.75" bs wheels for that tyre size.

Slinky long travel 3" lift with 12" stroke bypasses.

12717784_1124406110926646_4069961375691381691_n_zpsbzuwziup.jpg

SB1044X__07436.1444103275.1280.1280.jpg

Moved the front axle forward 1 1/2" with our plates and offset bushes, and longer rear arms to move the rear diff back with longer tailshaft so i dont have to trim the back doors for 38 x 13/16 TSLs for winter. May add 1/2" body lift for clearance if I need to.

When will the plates be available?

What are the benefits of moving the axle forward?

Wow 1.5" forward is a lot.
Why not just 1"?
How do you address the axle to spring bucket & panrod misalignment problem now? Then you will need to cut out the front radiator support part of the fenderwell where it will definitely will rub. This is where I am at with just fitting 37"s.
Now the reason I say this is at the same time I'm trying to use the least amount of bump stop as possible, if one just puts in approx 2.5" to 3" of bump stop for 38"s this will stop the rubbing but will also restrict 4" or more of uptravel at the tire or tyre. Then one would then need to lower the shock to get full use or travel of the stroke.

38" Swampers would look knarly, post pics up or it never happened.

Last edited:
Slick... Luv the tall skinny.
Let us know how tall the are off the rig once mounted will you?
Yeah I will. They are measuring a little over 37 not mounted. Most everyone on Pirate said they are right at 38 mounted. I don't have time this week to mess with it, but I'm getting them mounted next week. Already have Dynabeads.

I'm anxious to see how much I need to trim in the front fenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom