Lighting, and power supply. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I ordered up some 30" led light bars, (one front one rear, mounted on my roof rack in a protected position from tree branches and such) and I love them. I ran a power supply (block with 12 terminals and a 40A fuse) on the firewall, both with relays, and both have a 20A inline fuse as well. Went out about a month ago and had them both on, and the headlights, heater and stereo all running. After a few min I smelled something cooking (sadly, many of us know what cooking wire sheath smells like) and then the charge light came on and the batt gauge dropped. Luckily I was on my buddy's property and a couple minutes from his house. Popped the hood to find the fusible link smoked like a doobie at a dead show. Got a new link in there, and all is well. I know the old one was work pretty bad, and here's my question. I have the power supply hooked up after the fusible link where the bolt/nut connection is. With the fuses I'm running, it's ok (seems perfectly logical in my mind) to hook it up directly to the post terminal for the supply, as to not cook another one again, correct? I believe that's where the problem occurred, and that the F/L can't handle the added amperage if the light bars? Feel free to chime in, I know electrical about as much as a valve job on a Fiat.

I think you have you're problem figured out. I think the fusible link is only rated around 110 amps (not sure, couldnt find it in the fsm) and assuming you ran an additional 40 amps, the fuse link would most likely blow. I add all my accesory fuse blocks straight from the battery terminal, however, my only caution would be that you keep the run from your battery post to your fuse block as short as possible and well protected. This short run is not protected by a fuse unless you want to get OCD and install an inline fuse for that small section ( I don't personally think it's worth the trouble if you pay attention to how you route the cable).

Shouldn't be too hard of a fix, good luck.

This is what I did for some of my accessories. This picture was as it was being wired up so no fuses till I got done completely wiring it up.
IMG_3696.JPG

This is what I did for some of my accessories. This picture was as it was being wired up so no fuses till I got done completely wiring it up.

What's the brand name of that Little Red Power Block?

I think you have you're problem figured out. I think the fusible link is only rated around 110 amps (not sure, couldnt find it in the fsm) and assuming you ran an additional 40 amps, the fuse link would most likely blow. I add all my accesory fuse blocks straight from the battery terminal, however, my only caution would be that you keep the run from your battery post to your fuse block as short as possible and well protected. This short run is not protected by a fuse unless you want to get OCD and install an inline fuse for that small section ( I don't personally think it's worth the trouble if you pay attention to how you route the cable).

Shouldn't be too hard of a fix, good luck.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to dive into it in the next few days and I'll post my alternate setup as I want to keep the rig from letting any more smoke capsules out, damm those things get expensive sometimes! Thanks again @ReformedJeeper @McDowra , and @LandCruiserPhil , that link helps and is what I'm looking for. We've all seen the dreaded +post that has a half dozen wires hooked to it with eyelet terminals stacked on top of one another and the wires looking like a world of color show. I'll report back on this later in the week. Thanks again guys!

Spod is also a good solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom