Help! I'm stuck in a parking lot because my igntion is locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Not really much of an emergency but I'm stuck

I am currently stuck in a parking lot because of my dumb ignition lock. I can not turn the key pass the lock position. I have tried all the tricks I could find online like pulling on the steering wheel and pressing on the brake, I sprayed WD-40 down the key hole, and still have no luck. It's really annoying as well because I have the viper alarm system with keyless start and the car starts, but I can't drive it. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

I think there is a bypass switch/ button in the shifter console. Remove the little plastic button to the left of the park position and depress it with a small screwdriver. I have never done it, but it has been discussed here many times. Good luck!

Have you turned the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key?

Try rocking the steering wheel left and right while you turn the key. Don't force it. Sometimes the steering lock binds against the lock cylinder.

I think there is a bypass switch/ button in the shifter console. Remove the little plastic button to the left of the park position and depress it with a small screwdriver. I have never done it, but it has been discussed here many times. Good luck!

Thank you for the responce. However I am confused will this help with the igntion or just help me get it out of park if I have to tow it?

Thanks

Have you turned the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key?

I can't because the steering wheel is locked. I have still tried to turn it while it is locked and tried moving the key but no luck

Try rocking the steering wheel left and right while you turn the key. Don't force it. Sometimes the steering lock binds against the lock cylinder.

I have been trying that for the past 45min. Thank you for the thought though.

Turn the steering wheel left and right, while turning the key.

Sometimes the key gets stuck and you need to just pull on it slightly, while you turn it.

Just had my occasional bout with this myself. Yes, work the steering wheel back and forth as you try to turn, jiggle and try to push in and pull out the key as you try to turn it. At first, seems like a total stuck, but it will work loose if you keep at it. Note that this is AFTER you've pressed down on the emergency unlock thingee on the shifter that inkpot mentioned.

This, just pop off the cover and jamb a pen straight down while moving the shifter

I appreciate all the help. The only thing I was able to accomplish is get the cruiser out of park. That's good because we are having a tow truck come pick it up. Until then I will keep working on trying to get the key to turn by moving the steering wheel.

Thanks

Keep at it, it will free up. Gentler is better than harsh. Once I got mine free after 10 minutes, I had to play with it some more a few more starts, but found getting it to shake right to do it easier each time once I found the trick move. It's back to normal now. In 7 years, it's done this twice before, then been fine. Keep trying it before you start paying big bucks to get a tech to try to fix it. There's really nothing much wrong except things get in a bind once in awhile.

Hope it's a flat bed, you can't tow an 80 because it's AWD right?

Keep at it, it will free up. Gentler is better than harsh. Once I got mine free after 10 minutes, I had to play with it some more a few more starts, but found getting it to shake right to do it easier each time once I found the trick move. It's back to normal now. In 7 years, it's done this twice before, then been fine. Keep trying it before you start paying big bucks to get a tech to try to fix it. There's really nothing much wrong except things get in a bind once in awhile.

Thanks for the responce. I will keep trying. Luckily for the tow truck it is close enough to my house and since it's AAA it will be free. But again u would really prefer to not have it be towed

However I am now concerned because I'm not sure how they will load it with the wheels pointing left. I don't want them to hurt anything

I had this happen to me about a month ago. I could not get the key to turn or wheel to unlock. I put it in neutral via popping off the cover on the gear shift, then tried to scoot it back a little. Then wiggled the wheel while I wiggled the key. Finally, got mad enough and yanked hard enough that it started. Probably should have been gentler, but my temper had taken over by then. I was in a "start it or break it" mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom