40's, samuri's,patrols (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
Just got back from several days in Cartegna Columbia and expected to see quite a few fj40's but was surprised at how many old nissan patrols and suzukis on the road.
I love my 40, but was just surprised at how they were out numbered by the other two. They must be great vehicles in their own right. Technically speaking ,are they comparable to the fj40?

Nothing is, but a Patrol comes close. We have a huge market of them down here, have done since a G60 crossed the Simpson Desert in 1962. [http://www.hemamaps.com/en/Trip-Preparation/How-to-Cross-the-Simpson-Desert]. Successive variants have been great vehicles, but refusal to add things like a FF rear axle on almost all models keeps them second to Mr. Toyoda in popularity, and now that off-roading has become soft-roading I'm not sure they'll ever outsell a Landcruiser.

As for the Suzi's well, they have a bit of a cult following. Down here anyway. They're nimble and will go places heavier 4x4's won't. But they're small and annoying, and usually have that loud 4 cylinder petrol bratttt exhaust cause they all run pipes too big for the engine. So you sneak ahead of 'em in the line up, add a bit of extra right foot and flick a bit of mud back at 'em to remind 'em who the big daddy is ;)

was surprised at how many old nissan patrols and suzukis on the road.
I love my 40, they were out numbered by the other two

All the 40's left to the USA:clap:

:cheers:

All the 40's left to the USA:clap:

:cheers:

Nothing is, but a Patrol comes close. We have a huge market of them down here, have done since a G60 crossed the Simpson Desert in 1962. [http://www.hemamaps.com/en/Trip-Preparation/How-to-Cross-the-Simpson-Desert]. Successive variants have been great vehicles, but refusal to add things like a FF rear axle on almost all models keeps them second to Mr. Toyoda in popularity, and now that off-roading has become soft-roading I'm not sure they'll ever outsell a Landcruiser.

As for the Suzi's well, they have a bit of a cult following. Down here anyway. They're nimble and will go places heavier 4x4's won't. But they're small and annoying, and usually have that loud 4 cylinder petrol bratttt exhaust cause they all run pipes too big for the engine. So you sneak ahead of 'em in the line up, add a bit of extra right foot and flick a bit of mud back at 'em to remind 'em who the big daddy is ;)
I didn't know very much of the patrols but they looked pretty stout and seem to have held up well down there. Every one I saw was driving with their back doors (ambulance style) tied open with rope, I'm assuming some type of air conditioning South American style.
I

Yeah they're tough, but they ain't a 40..

The Patrol is closer to the Cruiser , just short on the tough as nails part . Sami's are in their own realm , extremely light , very underpowered but so nimble it's insane . I could take mine places a typical modded side by side can't go and drive it home on the highway as well . Yes, most are quite loud as almost none of them have a stock engine - 53hp just doesn't cut it turning large tires . Tri-y header and an engine turning north of 8k will scare most drag racers on the trail - it's just that shocking and nothing winds up as quickly as those little inline fours . Picture a Suzuki bike engine with a longer stroke - that's about it . I have never found a mid-modified 4x4 that had a chance of keeping up with mine , if nothing else due to weight (3k , built and loaded) and a very flexy spring over I built for it . Couple that with 5:14 tcase , 4.62 diff gears and a very wide powerband engine - it worked like magic .

Drove it nearly 13yrs before Illinois' weather and a work injury made me let it go - just couldn't rebuild it at the time and always wanted an iconic Cruiser anyway ....despite being quite heavy .

Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom