MOAB October 1-14, 2017!! CANCELLED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeddyBoy

Knighted by the King of MUD himself
Threads
Website
www.novatelco.com
Moab October 1-14, 2017 -- That's right biatches, we're ready to do it again!!!!

THIS IS NOT AN EVENT!! simply a trip planned by dumb-asses.

Overview -
2 Week trip planned for October 1-14, 2017 consisting of 2 primary groups and a total of 12-15+ rigs/people. We'll likely ride together at times and also break up into separate groups at times. There is no formal "Plan" per se' other than ending up in Moab and wheeling for 2 weeks.

Budget - Depending on how you work it you could do this trip for about $1000 with your rig. All depends on how you get there, rig transport etc... I did the the entire trip 1.5 years ago for right at $1800, this included round trip airfare, rig transport, fuel, food, spare parts and all misc. expenses.

Accommodations - FREE
We have the very fortunate advantage of a free place to stay, GrandPa's Garage is a legendary place in Moab and Danny has been kind enough to invite us back. He offers up his gated back yard, full shop, showers, bathroom, a place to throw down a tent, cook your food, park your rig, etc for the full 2 weeks. All that is asked is for a "Gift" of some sort preferably in the form of a case of beer purchased OUTSIDE of UTAH.

Rig Transport - 3 Options
  1. Roger's (@DSLTOY ) has a 4 car hauler we need to fill out. As of right now there are 2 open slots at approximately $500 per slot round trip. Exact cost based on diesel prices at time of trip.
  2. @TEQiddiot is taking a 3 car wedge trailer from ATL - Hit him up for details
  3. Get your own arse out there.
If you want a slot on Rogers trailer PLEASE speak up. You will need to get your rig to Mansfield TN approximately 1-2 weeks prior to departure and of course pick up shortly after return.

The 2 groups break down as follows:

HARDCORE Group- guys willing to run some of the hardest trails Moab and western CO have to offer. Have your sh!t in order and built, bring spare parts.

@4xsteve
@TeddyBoy
@schmitty
@schmittysdad (Working on getting to bring rig)
Moderate Group - pretty obvious, don't wanna run the crap that's gonna brake your junk.

Trails to Run - we all have a list of dream trails so there's no particular schedule, we'll figure that out but Kokopelli Trail is on the list as are many others

Poison Spider,
Golden Spike
GBR
Rusty nail
Area BFE
Pritchett Canyon
Behind the Rocks
21 Road (CO)
Billings Canyon (CO)

Last edited:
I'm going to post something so I can follow the thread...

What are the tentative dates? I am thinking along the lines of flying out there and riding along...

Just got back from 20 days in Southern Utah.

Don't wait. Some of this land is going to disappear soon if the forces that be get their way.

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

Oct is a good time for me. I am usually leaving WY and heading home to atl around Oct 1st. Maybe in 2017 it will be on the same schedual and I can meet up with you guys. This year I am planning to head home from wy to ga and explore my way through San Rafael swells, Moab and Ouray. I would love to check out the Ozarks and the high water mark trail if anyone wants to tag along.

Last edited:
Moab is definitely on my 2017 to do list. I'm posting in case any other folks with milder rigs are interested? Or maybe I should stick to Cruise Moab to ensure there are some folks my speed?

Moab is definitely on my 2017 to do list. I'm posting in case any other folks with milder rigs are interested? Or maybe I should stick to Cruise Moab to ensure there are some folks my speed?
There will always be people to go with, even if it isn't from our group. A vehicle like the 80 in your avatar is actually more usable in Moab than rigs like mine and Ted's. While we may be able to hit some of the harder stuff, which there is only a small percentage of really, you can hit so much more in a streetable rig. I honestly believe that a mildly built rig with 35's-37's would be much more suited for Moab. You could drive offroad for days in a 3xlocked 80 or something like a stock Jeep Rubicon.

Just got back from 20 days in Southern Utah.

Don't wait. Some of this land is going to disappear soon if the forces that be get their way.

Yeah I was reading Cam's thread on the MS page a couple days ago and that's what prompted me to start this thread. Looks like you guys had a truly awesome trip but it reminded me how long our last trip took to pull together.

We had such a great time the 2 weeks we were out there but it went by so damn fast it's still all a blur. This time I want to enjoy it more and since I know what to expect I can plan a little better.

@4xsteve is correct about a 35-37 inch rig being the optimal choice out there. Steve and I are probably too trail oriented which makes things a little difficult at times but we have time to remedy that I hope.

Anyway, trying to kick this off ASAP!!! We had such a great bunch of guys last year and I'm hoping everyone of them can make it again. Come on 2017!!!!

@4xsteve is correct about a 35-37 inch rig being the optimal choice out there. Steve and I are probably too trail oriented which makes things a little difficult at times but we have time to remedy that I hope.
Case and point: A high school buddy of mine just spent a week or so in Moab and he took a group of Jeeps - likely all driven to Moab on the highway - through Pritchett Canyon without issues... A trail that Ted and I had lots of rollover fears. A few of them never pulled cable at all, and another one made it through without lockers (I'm sure he pulled cable though). They probably went on to run as many trails in a week that me and Ted did in two weeks. Hell, imagine how cool it'd be to just spend a week or two in the area wheeling expedition style; only come to town every few days for food and fuel. Maybe that's what beno did?

They expo'd big time. Several days away from the world. Cam is writing it up in the CLC clubhouse. It is very entertaining and the scenery is amazing. They spent 2 nights on the shore of lake mead, awesome.

Ted, the trail sign at the beginning of that video, and from Grandpa's mouth, are calling it Prichard Canyon. I'm fairly certain that's wrong considering on the trail is Pritchett Arch, but it's killing me not knowing. What makes it worse is where the heck was that sign at? The one I took a picture of at the trail head almost positively said "Pritchett Canyon".

They expo'd big time. Several days away from the world. Cam is writing it up in the CLC clubhouse. It is very entertaining and the scenery is amazing. They spent 2 nights on the shore of lake mead, awesome.

Lake Powell. Lake Mead is another 250 miles down the Colorado. :)

In all honesty, after ten years of living 5 hrs from Moab (when I was in ABQ), there is no way anything out east is even comparable. In any way, shape or form.

The wheeling is different, the logistics are different, and the reality is different.

Wheeling out there is life or death some times.

That's the truth:. A bad truck, a weak link, and you might be 500ft into your death.

I like that instability of factors.

It makes me want to work on my junk and make sure my junk is tip-top.

I sure as s*** do not want to be the weak link.

Lake Powell. Lake Mead is another 250 miles down the Colorado. :)

Damnit, I actually had Powell typed and second guessed it and changed it right before I posted.... Oh well, at least I was on the right river. :hillbilly:

A former river:...

Read:

"Beyond the 100th Meridian" by Wallace Stegner

Or

"Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey.

Both of those books really put what you do in the SO UT back country in comparison.

Both are available as e-books. Put them on your ATL commute: life becomes suddenly much better.

:)

Weak Link he says!----Plummet to your death He says!!! I laugh at the Danger I'm In!!!!

20151012_151623.jpg
20151012_143146.jpg
20151013_134443~2.jpg
FB_IMG_1446019078286.jpg

Alert the Aussies!!!!

The-Australian-Infantry-PAY.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom