New 100 owner...advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 99 with rear locker...former 91 80-series owner...was looking for a 96-97 but my wife fell in love with the 100 series...happy wife=happy life theory means I own a 100-series....gotta admit the V8 does have its allure...I think the first thing I want to do is pull off those useless running boards, but mechanically was looking for some advice....She has 230k on her but has obviously been taken care of...body and interior both in great condition(front seats re-upolstered, middle and rears original and 9/10)
all the VINs match everywhere...clean CarFax...but
I am a little worried about the lack of service records...can't find any on toyota.com either....kinda tempted to do a timing belt despite the fact that the overall condition makes me think it was done on time, probably twice. Also there is a bit too much of a clunk in the drivetrain when going from Reverse to Drive...not sure if its in a driveshaft/U-joint or possibly the transfer case.

Any and all advice is invited and appreciated!
1st pic.jpg

Welcome to the 100s! And posting the pic means it really happened! See if you can find the timing belt sticker on the DS t-belt cover or somewhere over there. If there are no records, you'll need to do that. If there are no service records at all, you'll want to do a complete PM too. The running boards are great for around town use with kids (if you have any). Unless you plan off-road expeditions, consider leaving them on.

I would just start the PM list and begin documenting it and start with what you can afford. I would most certainly do the T belt and pulleys with in the next 10k as part of that. Nice color and you did pick the best year !!

I would just start the PM list and begin documenting it and start with what you can afford. I would most certainly do the T belt and pulleys with in the next 10k as part of that. Nice color and you did pick the best year !!
I looked in the stickys and didn't see a good "PM list for new purchase" kinda thing....seems like I had seen one before...do you happen to know where it is?

I looked in the stickys and didn't see a good "PM list for new purchase" kinda thing....seems like I had seen one before...do you happen to know where it is?

Here's one to start with:
Baseline 100 Series: Comprehensive List/Questions/Reccos

Just type in Baseline service in the search box and filter to 100-series. Lots of reading available. Lots of knowledge here.

Oh... And I'll say it... Ditch the flairs. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom