Help!! Hood Release Cable Broke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today is the 14th anniversary of the purchase of my 1990 V6 SR5 Extra cab P/U. So I go out to check the brake fluid (due to a leaking rear wheel cylinder) and the @#%& hood release cable breaks! Any ideas on how to get in that engine compartment without destroying the grill?
Thanks,
JR
1990 V6 ExtraCab SR5
w/165,000 miles (on original clutch) ???

Do you know where it broke? If its behind the firewall you could probably dig around under the dash and get a pair of vice-grips on it. Other than that, I'm not sure. Interesting little problem you got there.

the fire department will be more than glad to open that with the hydrolic rams.
good luck, you might be able to access it if you remove the skid, but It pretty tight with the 3.slow

[glow=black,2,2] Since I've given my '93 4Runner to my ex , she has griped a few times about this same thing . When I check it out , it's always that the cable has simply fallen out of it's proper mount . I would check in the general area of the pull tab , and try and hunt it down ... then vise grips as someone mentioned .

I like the FD idea as well ..... make a digital recording of some pissed off cat , and then stow it under your hood on top the fender . Then feign the truck ain't yers , and requisition the assistance of some woman ... then have her call the FD . She should be able to manipulate them into a free hood-pop ! :D[/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

Any ideas on how to release that hood catch without trashing the grill or hood? I have a '95 4Runner with a stuck hood release cable. It feels like the cable stretches, but it never releases the hood catch. I was able to figure out a path to slip a specially bent wire into my '94 pickup and release the hood catch, but an auxiliary fan behind the grill is in the way on the 4Runner. I don't see any path to slip my arm up from below. I have the skid/splash guard removed. I think the bumper would need to be removed to get in that way. Once that is removed, I then could remove the grill, and use a bent wire.

Have you tried removing the latch from the inside and pulling the wire with a pair of pliers?

Kinda, I have a custom shaped knob on the end of the cable. I even slipped a pliers behind it and pulled with both hands and it only stretched a bit more. It didn't break.

My cable is either frozen up at the latch end, or something is binding the latch.

I may be able to drill a hole in the driver's side of the security guard, and use a stiff wire hook to trip the release.

As I feared, the drill bit is at to much of an angle. I'll have to get a grinding wheel and extension to pursue that route. That means I have to wait 'til tomorrow or saturday to go to the store.

A sniper with a sawzall.

A sniper with a sawzall.
May work if I can get it into there. I have a near perfect condition original grill in front of it. I haven't attacked it yet with a grinding bit. To many other things to do on the farm. I'll be trying again soon. At least I have my pickups to look at and try ideas on.

This happened to me while on a trip. I pulled the grill for the duration. When I got home I welded a piece of stainless tube to the latch so I didn't need the cable any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom