Intro and FJ40 resto project started (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Just bought my first FJ40, a 1975 in dune beige with a chevy 350 conversion on the original 4 speed manual. I'm really pumped to share it, and you all have helped me a ton already with parts, fixes, and project guidance.

I attached some pics so you can see what it's like to start. I dove into the engine work immediately. The passenger side valve cover gasket had meen leaking, seeping oil gunk all over the engine, diff, tranny, leaf springs, you name it, plus all that burning was making the cabin smell when you drive- so glad that's fixed with some permadry's. Replaced rusted/corroded spark plugs, new oil and oil filter, new glass fuel filter, gear oil for the diffs, replaced the valve cover gaskets. Not much vacuum in the distributor, so that's next.

My idea for this rig is to make it a drivable safari FJ with good power so I'm keeping the sbc until I can afford a fuel-injected v8. To start, it has some rust, but luckily not as much as I've seen on others, so I'm getting the body work done and in a couple months will repaint it dune beige (love that color). The thing practically makes a right turn when I brake and takes a mile to stop, so I plan to get rid of the drums and put in a JT outfitters disc brake kit. That's more than enough to start, so I'll keep updating the thread to keep you guys updated.

IMG_9714.JPG

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0072 (1).JPG

Looks like it's in good shape. Very nice. Congratulations!

Yes good shape.......brakes are everything! Doing my brothers '76 then an improvement on mine too-new drums in rear.

Welcome to mud :)

Nice cruiser... If it were me I'd find an oem front or mini truck fronts and use Poser for the rear conversion
Getting an OEM front with discs seems to be much cheaper and better. Thanks for the advice! Looks like lots of other threads agree with that, plus it will save some cash. I'll have to look into Poser more for the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom