Oil Pressure and Water Temperature sending units (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex,

Pretty sure that last pic on the LHS is of the block drain plug. If you unscrew that plug a bit...not all the way... anti-freeze should come out.

My oil sending unit is forward of the block drain a few inches & is about the size of a lemon cut in half. The PO could have removed it but would have plugged it w/'something'. See if you can locate it in that area.

John

Locations of the temp and oil sender per EPC:
1974 FJ40 2F
location oil sender 2F FJ40 74.JPG

location temp sender 2F FJ40 74.JPG

Hope this helps

Rudi
location oil sender 2F FJ40 74.JPG
location temp sender 2F FJ40 74.JPG

Heres mine on my 1/75 2F

Its on the drivers side back right:
Copy of My 1970 Toyota FJ40 206.jpg

Weber Sarge said:
That's the block coolant drain . Look at your oil filter block from the bottom, the sender fits into the base below the filter, may just the po put a plug in the hole...
Sarge

I checked it, I can't feel any plug there. Picture I've posted doesn't show it either.
Will need to go and buy an inspection mirror to verify.

Waterboy said:
Its on the drivers side back right:

Nice picture. May help allot.
Do you by the chance have close-up image of location?

I'm 99% sure PO removed the sender as its not on the engine. I'd notice it by now. Plug is a different story as its hard to notice, plus there are a few bolts/plugs on the block.

Oil sending unit is shown perfectly in Waterboy's post # 23.

John

John McVicker said:
Alex,

Pretty sure that last pic on the LHS is of the block drain plug. If you unscrew that plug a bit...not all the way... anti-freeze should come out.

My oil sending unit is forward of the block drain a few inches & is about the size of a lemon cut in half. The PO could have removed it but would have plugged it w/'something'. See if you can locate it in that area.

John

John,
I need to drain some antifreeze to change the Water Temperature Sender. I assume I can drain some from this drain, am I? I was thinking of draining via disconnecting the rad hose, but it's hard as all rad will try to flush out...

John,
I need to drain some antifreeze to change the Water Temperature Sender. I assume I can drain some from this drain, am I? I was thinking of draining via disconnecting the rad hose, but it's hard as all rad will try to flush out...

Alex,

Yes, you can...and should... drain from the block drain. Best to do it from both the raditor and the block drain. You will get more of the old stuff out.

But if you are doing it only to remove the water sending unit you don't need to drain very much. But from what I see, you would be better off to drain and flush it all, refill w/clean stuff.

John

Went to the HomeDepot and bought an inspection mirror. Spent about half an hour inspecting the block. Result = "0".
See attached images:

RHS, Filter mount. It is casted and there is a "bump' in the cast where others have a plug.

Engineblocksensor5.jpg

That what I was hoping to see (from another thread in the MUD):
attachment.php

LHS, behind the headers in front of the drain plug. There are 2 mounting provisions for some sort of accessories (probably used at different engine application). The distance from front provision and the drain plug is about 10". Between the rear provision and the block drain I found a "bump" which also casted in to the block. It looks like I have very interesting block where both possible locations are not done.
Its understandable why PO never install Oil Pressure Gauge, he just couldn't find where. ...and I'm kind of having the same question...

Engineblocksensor6.jpg

Engineblocksensor7.jpg

Could someone reveal the mystery? I thought I followed advises regarding where to look for a plug.

Here is a better pic of mine. Hope it helps.

image-3469610630.jpg
image-3469610630.jpg

Thank you.
In the location you have your sensor, my block doesn't have a hole. See the image I posted this afternoon.

Looks to me like Waterboy's sending unit is in EXACTLY the location of the red left hand circle in your last pic in post 31.

John

John,
That's what I was thinking too. As the block was cast like that, sender wasn't there, but it also has casted oil filter mount which is another location. How this can be? ...unless PO used some parts from old F when replaced it with 2F and managed to install no ported bracket from F. Is it from F or F had different bracket? I'm confused. My solution is to source out the Filter bracket with the port from later 2F. I hope I'll find it and it will fit.

John,
That's what I was thinking too. As the block was cast like that, sender wasn't there, but it also has casted oil filter mount which is another location. How this can be? ...unless PO used some parts from old F when replaced it with 2F and managed to install no ported bracket from F. Is it from F or F had different bracket? I'm confused. My solution is to source out the Filter bracket with the port from later 2F. I hope I'll find it and it will fit.

Alex,

Yes, I think sourceing a later 2f oil filter bracket is your best choice. S/b easy to find in the 'parting out ' section.

John

Went to the HomeDepot and bought an inspection mirror. Spent about half an hour inspecting the block. Result = "0".
See attached images:

RHS, Filter mount. It is casted and there is a "bump' in the cast where others have a plug.

Engineblocksensor5.jpg

That what I was hoping to see (from another thread in the MUD):
attachment.php

LHS, behind the headers in front of the drain plug. There are 2 mounting provisions for some sort of accessories (probably used at different engine application). The distance from front provision and the drain plug is about 10". Between the rear provision and the block drain I found a "bump" which also casted in to the block. It looks like I have very interesting block where both possible locations are not done.
Its understandable why PO never install Oil Pressure Gauge, he just couldn't find where. ...and I'm kind of having the same question...

Engineblocksensor6.jpg

Engineblocksensor7.jpg

Could someone reveal the mystery? I thought I followed advises regarding where to look for a plug.

alex,
I have the exact same scenario. what did you end up doing to solve your lack-of-oil-pressure-sending-unit problem?

alex,
I have the exact same scenario. what did you end up doing to solve your lack-of-oil-pressure-sending-unit problem?

I ended up buying a later version filter casting with a port on it.

I ended up buying a later version filter casting with a port on it.

I have the same issue. I bought the later model filter casting and a sending unit thing, but because the PO never had it hooked up...im not sure where to run the wires, or even where the wire comes out in the engine bay.

Would you mind posting pics of your connection? I would really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom