May ROTM 2016 - Mount Ord (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
MAY ROTM UPDATE :

For the May ROTM, I am planning for the back way up Mt Ord. This is a moderate trail with the potential for some challenging washouts and narrow shelf roads. Stock high clearance 4wd recommended for this back route. If you have wheeled the Lippincott Mine Road in DVNP, this trail will be a breeze......

WHEN: May 14th and 15th

Camp overnight on Saturday the 14th at the top in the cool pines, maybe get a tour of the Fire Lookout Tower while we are there (leave your fear of heights at home and don't mind the swaying of the tower in the wind...). The view from up there is spectacular.

MEETING LOCATION AND TIME:
10180 N Fort McDowell Rd
Fort McDowell, AZ 85264

The caravan will depart from there at 0800 so please be there slightly early if you need to gas up

It's probably around 3 to 5 hours to get to the top of Mt Ord the back way from the Baja gas station depending on how many stops we make

Please post in the thread if you are planning to go so that we can have a good count

Going on the run :
Verruckt1
Chrismanjs
Murf
CarbonCorsa
boofaz
LongDuck
wtmtnterror
cmkzLCmama
jclarke450
Mattman

104303513.jpg

4622077255.jpg

13%2BView%2Bback%2Bdown%2Bthe%2Bhighway%2Band%2Btowards%2BPhoenix%2Bfrom%2BMt%2BOrd.jpg

Last edited:
Love that trail, close enough to make a day of it and high enough to be cool at night. Count me in if I'm not traveling that week back east.

Looks like I messed up the calendar, unfortunately I will miss this trip. Pete have a great run and camp out. See you on the next run.

Last edited:
I'm in! I would also do the pre run with you. I am driving a 2007 FJ cruiser. I have never had trouble with clearance but I do not have a lift. Thanks!

Excellent Chris. I will let you know when I am planning the pre-run. Your FJC should make it w/o issues.

Excellent Chris. I will let you know when I am planning the pre-run. Your FJC should make it w/o issues.
Sweet! Keep me posted.

Where you headed now?

There is a new contact person for tours of the tower, used to be Theresa Mendoza. I don't think the summer guy will be there yet? Chris Price at the Goldfield Fire office @ 480-986-3840 is the latest contact person I have as of last October. I've taken the Scouts up there several times, and just called several weeks in advance to arrange for the tour (tower is locked at the bottom). One time they sent a backcountry engine up to meet us. Pretty cool. Gotta walk the last 1/2 mile up the road.

That looks like a bitchin adventure.............where in the state is this area??

There is a new contact person for tours of the tower, used to be Theresa Mendoza. I don't think the summer guy will be there yet? Chris Price at the Goldfield Fire office @ 480-986-3840 is the latest contact person I have as of last October. I've taken the Scouts up there several times, and just called several weeks in advance to arrange for the tour (tower is locked at the bottom). One time they sent a backcountry engine up to meet us. Pretty cool. Gotta walk the last 1/2 mile up the road.

Rob - Thank you. I will give Chris a call to make arrangements. The last time I was up there we just hung around at the bottom of the tower and the person manning it called us up. But, if we can guarantee a tour, that would be best. Thank you.

Neat, is it relatively close to the Four Peaks?

Are the Four Peaks visible from the top? I would think they are..................

Rob - Thank you. I will give Chris a call to make arrangements. The last time I was up there we just hung around at the bottom of the tower and the person manning it called us up. But, if we can guarantee a tour, that would be best. Thank you.
Full-time guy only available late Spring to early Fall, not sure of start date.

I'm in. Camping too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom