80 shock thread - familiar territory could use update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for your quick reply.
So 190lb. front & 200lb. rear primaries...
Very intresting. This sounds more like progressive. I'm very sure they work awesome. Well, since it's the video age... Got Video??? I'm mean video of your rigblasting down the trail. I would like to see some of Darren's 80s also.

If you are getting the info on the 851, 850, 850J, 861 & 862 OME coils from the FAQ or Cruiser Outfitters some specs are wrong... I have contacted both & they have not changed the charts.
If you go directly to the OME pdf then you will see what I'm writing about.
Here is a snip for your convenience.
http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/OME_Guide_current.pdf

20151022_095858.png

20151023_201106-2-jpg.1163541

The 861/862 combo is the OME stock replacement springs for the 80 series.
They are dual rate.
image-3619842704-1-jpg.1163542
guess I have an old listing??
OME rates.jpg

seems odd they would change an existing part # vs. creating new one for that significant a change???

do you know if the top coils are closed at ride height?

They are closed but half of the last turn on the 170 rate on my rig. I only have the 862s plus 40mm packer. I Luv the dual rate coil & will never go back to a single rate coil.
20160104_182424.jpg

Here is a 861 on another rig.
dsc_0116-1-jpg.1163543

Kurt explained in late 2000s OME went to X5 steel which changed things up a bit. Here it is in his words.

Hello Gary,

Those specs were correct given the OME engineering data circa 2002-2006, it has not been updated since that time. When OME switched to the X5 steel the spring bar diameter changed as did the number of coils. Spring rate does vary based on bar diameter, but also the number of coils, spring steel properties, etc. When they moved to the X5 steel in the late 2000's they started varying the bar diameter more. When a customer orders coils we discuss all of the different spring rate options, etc with the latest engineering information on the springs, we are currently using their 2014 OME spec engineering. The spring rates themselves had very little variance with the X5 change, just better steel with less fatigue and sag over time.

- Kurt

Cruiser Outfitters
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com
DIRECT LINE - 801-563-1277

Front:
190 / 300 , 21.5" Free Height

Rear:
200 / 280 , 20.0" Free Height

The biggest differences when compared to the slinky is that ICON coils ride at the first rate (190-F , 200-R) and increase rate when compressed for bottom out resistance.
The Slinkys ride at the second rate (260-F , 270-R) and use the soft rate for droop

also the ICON coils are capable of full up travel with no bump stop spacers

the info I have on the 861/2 shows single rate??????

Thanks for the clarification on the differences between the two spring sets.

So, back to your coils Dylan...
Just to compair to the OME that most know & understand.
The 851, 850 & 850J have an 220 lb. rate vs. your 190 lb. primary. Going down the road it will feel softer, better ride.
Same will go for your rear at 200 lb. vs. an 860 with 220 lb. or 863 with 265 lb. rates. Of course under compression they will get firmer when going into the stiffer rates when needed.

Do your coils stack or touch at ride height?
Please post up some pics under normal load will you?

Is anyone making a bypass style bolt-in shock. I swear I saw some ICON versions previously....but they never made it to market?

Is anyone making a bypass style bolt-in shock. I swear I saw some ICON versions previously....but they never made it to market?
we do them for the 200 and FJ Cruiser

So, back to your coils Dylan...
Just to compair to the OME that most know & understand.
The 851, 850 & 850J have an 220 lb. rate vs. your 190 lb. primary. Going down the road it will feel softer, better ride.
Same will go for your rear at 200 lb. vs. an 860 with 220 lb. or 863 with 265 lb. rates. Of course under compression they will get firmer when going into the stiffer rates when needed.

Do your coils stack or touch at ride height?
Please post up some pics under normal load will you?

IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG
IMG_7697.JPG

Awesome.
Who got the 1st couple sets?
I believe you have the best looking 80 I've seen yet.

@DylanICON
Is it possible to have a 28" AutoCraft spec in a ICON Stage 1 2.0 shock or is it only in the resi set up?
Will the 12" stroke none resi AutoCraft spec ICON Stage 1 28" fit within the confines of the front stock bump stops or is it only in the resi set up?

Will the 12" stroke none resi AutoCraft spec ICON Stage 1 28" fit within the confines of the front stock bump stops or is it only in the resi set up?

the longer 2.0 IFP we make for 4-6" lifts are:

16.850 / 28.170" front
16.850 / 27.420" rear

these would require bump stop spacers, but not much

the longer 2.0 IFP we make for 4-6" lifts are:

16.850 / 28.170" front
16.850 / 27.420" rear

these would require bump stop spacers, but not much
Thanks Dylan.
They are to long for a 3" lift just as you wrote.
I'll have to save up for the 2.5s then.

Just to add to note:
I believe the stage 1 system is a quality product that is very competitively priced with the current other suspension systems on the market. $1,500 bucks is a great deal for what you are getting.
20160415_132710.jpg

You mean like these ?

We have Icon custom make them for us for the 80/105 front and rear as our stage 5 upgrade from the CDC slinky long travels as well as for 100 series and 200 series rear and FJ.

11068019_958108520889740_6304967227245834708_n.jpg

20150928_162418_zpsrbh8txz0.jpg

11059761_1008037082563550_7692802400807023996_n.jpg

I would love some advice on what to do on my 80. I am considering either the ICON stage 3 with the 2.5 cdcv shocks, or the Autocraft stage 4 (75mm heavy) with the cdcv shocks. I had previously thought I'd do the Autocraft (75mm heavy) kit with the 2.0 shocks, but I really think it will leave me eventually switching out to 2.5 shocks anyway.

My 80 currently has a Frankies off Road lift which is about 3.5 inches or so. It works pretty nice but the OME L shocks are way too weak on dampening on whooped trails. My use will be: daily driving/around town cruising; a few trips a year on sandy, fast whooped trails; at least one trip to Silver Lake sand dunes; and at least one trip to western rocky trail areas (Moab, Colorado, etc.). Mix in occasional orv parks. My truck is pretty heavy- bumpers, skid plates, sliders, lots of tools, gear, soon to be sub tank.
So, those of you experienced, which complete kit would work best? ICON or Autocraft?
As a last note, I am of the thought that the best way to go is one of these complete systems, but if someone thinks that 2.5 cdcv shocks with my Frankies coils would be great, I'm all ears. I'd love the $$ savings.

Thanks,
Pat

FOR coils are dual rate coils... unless the are toasted & plain wore out I would just try some shocks first. I don't know the rates of the FOR coils but I'm sure @Nay does. They are most likely close to the same as Slinky or OME stock heights.
It's been mentioned several times that the ICON system is for lighter loaded 80s...

FOR coils are dual rate coils... unless the are toasted & plain wore out I would just try some shocks first. I don't know the rates of the FOR coils but I'm sure @Nay does. They are most likely close to the same as Slinky or OME stock heights.
It's been mentioned several times that the ICON system is for lighter loaded 80s...
Gotcha on the lighter 80 for the ICON setup, thanks. I read the original post @Nay did on the FOR coils, and I really like mine, I just didn't understand that they would work still.
So now, do I seek out 2.5 shocks with the Autocraft specs, or 2.5 shocks right from ICON?
Thanks for your help, and patience, I'm learning as I go.

I would try to find out what the free height is of those FOR coils... you might need to just take them out & measure them.

As for a 2.5 Icon vs. a 2.5 CDC I'm sure The CDC are better.

As for as length of the shocks, it's about the free height of the coil.
You said you have L shocks... those are a longer shock.
A OME 850J has a free height of approx 20.25" the L shock is 26.5" collar to collar.
The J coil is just ready to loosen at that point at full exstension of the L shock.

The front Slinkies are 24" in free height with approx a 28" plus shock.

So you need to go through old threads... but I'm pretty sure that info would be hard to find. Best way is to PM @Nay or if anyone is close friends with @Nay maybe you can get him that way.

Did I just ramble on or did this help?

Last edited:
I would try to find out what the free height is of those FOR coils... you might need to just take them out & measure them.

As for a 2.5 Icon vs. a 2.5 CDC I'm sure The CDC are better.

As for as length of the shocks, it's about the free height of the coil.
You said you have L shocks... those are a longer shock.
A OME 850J has a free height of approx 20.25" the L shock is 26.5" collar to collar.
The J coil is just ready to loosen at that point at full exstension of the L shock.

The front Slinkies are 24" in free height with approx a 28" plus shock.

So you need to go through old threads... but I'm pretty sure that info would be hard to find. Best way is to PM @Nay or if anyone is close friends with @Nay maybe you can get him that way.

Did I just ramble on or did this help?
Not rambling, help in a big way. I guess I can pull a spring out, or at least get a spring loose and measure. I hope it's close enough to the shocks that work with the slinkies, cause that is what I'd probably upgrade to next anyway.

I the FOR has to be close to the OME 861 & the Slinky front.
The FOR coils stack in the 1st rate just the same as the OME & Slinky.
Here are the rates in lbs.
OME front 861 is 170/250
Front Slinky is 160/260

I would really like to know for myself what the rates of those FORs are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom