GX470 headers 06+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forgot the first pics post: second shots with running board and stock tires, first shot less dramatic lighting, running boards removed, and 270/65/27 cooper adventurer tires

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

Ill have to shoot an email over to the URD gents as i seen they do carry the headers im interested in. Thanks for the heads up!

Would be interested in not only the headers, but what they used for the cat and the pre and post O2 sensor setup.

From another forum on the 4runner v8: "For the O2 sensors, you need an O2 sim for the post-cat sensors since they are there to detect the presence (or lack of) a catalytic converter. Those can be had anywhere (or made from Radio Shack parts if you know what you are doing). The pre-cat O2 sensor determines AFR and won't be affected at all."

Ill do some more research and see if anyone confirmed that worked and CEL issues.

Ill post reply once revieved from URD

"Should fit fine, but I do not think anyone has to absolutely verify it.

Steve (Gadget) Dopler"

When money permits ill see what kinda return i can work out with URD or doug throley team and bite the bullet. Ill get a shop to weld in a set of cats downstream and try to mimic a 4runner set up

I am definitely interested in how these headers can work with the gx. I wonder if the air injection part of the headers is needed if you are running a sais bypass kit, be better just not to have them on the headers I would think.

I
Would be interested in not only the headers, but what they used for the cat and the pre and post O2 sensor setup.
I looked underneath and notice the 02 sensor is installed only on the 1st cat on each side while the secondary cat with its own flange does not have any sensor. It would be an easy upgrade to bypass the secondary cat for the added HP and put it back on during testing.

I doubt very much that the cats (any of them) are affecting HP on the 4.7. Certainly nothing you would ever notice.

Also - in many (most) cases, headers will magnify any valve ticking you may have.

The ticking in this case is exhaust gas escaping throught the cracked welds, ticks loudly on cold start and gets quieter as the engine comes up to temp with the heat expansion closing the crack/gaps.

Im more interested in having the tick go away, a burly growl is a plus in this case as a custom exhaust will be necessary. I would consider a new OEM manifold but havent heard anything conclusive about them remediating the weak welds and dont want to repeat the project in the future. Welding may fix the issue if i can find a competent welder willing to take it on. Ill weigh my options accordingly, just had a baby and waiting on the delivery bill before i set any money aside.

Ah - so you're getting to hear the valves tick in all their glory :doh:. That would drive me out of my mind also. How many miles do you have on it? I saw another thread where someone found OEM manifolds with cats for ~$500. Seems worth it if they last another 100k at least.

142000 right now, i purchased @ 136k - ticking was already present but the dealer had it idling when i arrived and masked the tick.

Ive heard the cracks can begin to develop as early as 60k, i wonder if a flowmaster super 44 or borla would remediate the noise. Any one know of long term effects of having the cracks present?

Ah - so you're getting to hear the valves tick in all their glory :doh:. That would drive me out of my mind also. How many miles do you have on it? I saw another thread where someone found OEM manifolds with cats for ~$500. Seems worth it if they last another 100k at least.
No, the valves are not ticking. The exhaust manifold is leaking making the noise. Nothing to do with valve ticking.

OP, I'm moving to Scottsdale in July, I'll be down to hit the trails after I get settled if you're looking for an off-roading companion.

Last edited:
@BlackCat , @jclarke450 - im usually always game for a run, but with having our first baby on march 2nd my schedule will be contingent upon wife approval and caretaker availability.

Aside from that i have been wanting to explore more of gardner canyon, ive hit the first half of charloues gap numerous times, reddington pass is fun but not nearly as scenic as the other two.

@jclarke450 - the box canyon trip looks like a blast. Next trip if the size is still manageable you should PM me. I need to familiarize myself with the forum some more to view trip schedules.

Id like to visit fossil creek in strawberry although not sure on it being "offroad".

FYI, an O2 sensor simulator is a pretty straightforward violation of the Clean Air Act and has penalties of something like $3,750. Also, any manufacturer of such a thing would face penalties of $3,750 per each unit sold. Seems pointless to risk that in this case where all you are trying to do is stop a ticking noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom