"Mi Toyota es Fantastico" - Spanish BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

does it have 4 cilinders and 3.4 litre engine with 1 valve cover ? (then its a 3B) if it has 4 or 5 little valve covers you have a vm4 or vm5 which is not good !

Thanks! After seeing it listed for sale for almost 7 months, I just couldn't say no.

I was looking at the suspension today because I had a teeth shattering experience yesterday over a series of speed bumps in my neighborhood that I had not driven over yet.

I think that my front suspension specifically is hitting the bump stops even at low speed over speed bumps. What is the correct static clearance between the axle and the bump stops? I have only about a 1 inch, didn't measure it precisely yet. I can also see fresh contact marks on the axle. I'm thinking that the suspension is pretty much toast, but wanted some confirmation from the experts.

I also noticed that all the spring bushings are rotten and basically disintegrating in place.

Last edited:
the bumpstops are bolted to the shassis,what the normal distance between them and the axle sould be i dont know.

But did you have leafspring suspension before? because even in new condition its way harder then coils.

I you have the original springs, they're likely shot!

I have to inspect the springs a little closer, but I'm thinking it would be nice to replace everything. The main problem I have is that I don't know the rules on the ITV safety inspection here in Spain and need to see if I lift the truck if there are any ramifications.

the bumpstops are bolted to the shassis,what the normal distance between them and the axle sould be i dont know.

But did you have leafspring suspension before? because even in new condition its way harder then coils.

I have had an FJ60 and FJ55 so I know its is never going to be a smooth ride, but this 70 seems exceptionally harsh.

Nice rig mate, if you need suspension in Spain try TMX 4x4, ask for Andres and tell them Leighton from Dobinsons sent ya

C:\Users\LEIGHT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

C/ Roma 1, Nave 29, Pol. Ind. Puerta Madrid
28977 Casarrubuelos (Madrid) Tlf.: 918 133 626

www.tmx4x4.com

30 43 1197 E, 44 47 751 N, Altitud 622m.

Nice rig mate, if you need suspension in Spain try TMX 4x4, ask for Andres and tell them Leighton from Dobinsons sent ya

C:\Users\LEIGHT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

C/ Roma 1, Nave 29, Pol. Ind. Puerta Madrid
28977 Casarrubuelos (Madrid) Tlf.: 918 133 626

www.tmx4x4.com

30 43 1197 E, 44 47 751 N, Altitud 622m.

thanks! I will take a look.

First mod - install car seats. Three wide does just barely fit. For anyone interested these are Britax Frontier Click-tights.

3-wide.jpg

My kids now expect me to pick them up from school in "the Cruiser".

Your one lucky man to have three at once I think. ;)

Thanks! Actually twins (girls) and a 20 month later boy surprise ;)

Last edited:
image.jpeg
My wife had this made for me for my upcoming birthday. She's a keeper!

The other day my buddy found this VM BJ73 in a junk yard about 20mins from where we live. So I went to check it out.

image.jpeg

(Not me in the picture)
image.jpeg

I ended up taking as much as I could off of it. We actually went back three times during the week. He took some parts for his Hilux as well. Here is what I ended up with. Much of it was beat to hell on the interior or already removed.

image.jpeg

And this, the crown jewel... H55F and t-case. Thanks to @AlbertoSD 's thread I believe it has the H/F input shaft so hopefully I can swap it later for my 3B. If I believe the odometer it only had 154k Kms on it.
image.jpeg

You should have seen my wife and I try to man-handle this combo out of the back of the Cruiser. I'm surprised I didn't throw my back out.

I also pulled the instrument cluster because I wanted a tach mainly. Come to find out that the VM spec trucks are 12V and I'm obviously 24V :(. If there is one thing I am not its an electrician! However, I do work with some electricians and they told me it would be very difficult to make work with the 24V system. Anyone have experience with this? (Edit) just remembered I also have the altimeter/angle gauge as well.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Friday I took 30 seconds to install my passenger rear door handle from @beno. It's the little things, thanks Onur!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I ended up taking as much as I could off of it.

Please go back and get the roll cage!!

It'll dismantle into smaller pieces that, I'd think, coujd be shipped DHL. Worst case, I'll see if Alberto can fit in his carry on next trip to Spain.

You might pick up the thirds, too, for your own purposes.

And this, the crown jewel... H55F and t-case. Thanks to @AlbertoSD 's thread I believe it has the H/F input shaft so hopefully I can swap it later for my 3B.

It's H/F shafted, for certain.

If it's been reasonably well maintained, it should be well worth your efforts, because the craptastic VM put out ~50hp, had 4.56s to compensate, so nearly impossible to overwork the H55F.

What came behind mine was the smoothest shifting H55F I've ever felt......until I rebuilt it, when swapping input shafts.

I also pulled the instrument cluster because I wanted a tach mainly. Come to find out that the VM spec trucks are 12V and I'm obviously 24V :(.

Don't know anything about 3B tach sender, but the VM is the same as F/H, with pickup on flywheel.

It might not read accurately, but if 3B similarly sends, it could be possible to adapt, swapping relays and lights in the cluster.

Don't think there's much thinking going on in cluster. Speedo is cable driven, tach merely senses pulses provided, registers on gauge. Lights could be swapped to LEDs, so don't know why it wouldn't work......but basing that on having both clusters and harnesses on the bench, trying to do the reverse swap, with absolutely no experience in doing.

Became more determined to get the original tach to function with an HZ, which is low on the priority list, at the moment.

Please go back and get the roll cage!!

It'll dismantle into smaller pieces that, I'd think, coujd be shipped DHL. Worst case, I'll see if Alberto can fit in his carry on next trip to Spain.

You might pick up the thirds, too, for your own purposes.

Sorry, someone already beat me to it!

It's H/F shafted, for certain.

If it's been reasonably well maintained, it should be well worth your efforts, because the craptastic VM put out ~50hp, had 4.56s to compensate, so nearly impossible to overwork the H55F.

What came behind mine was the smoothest shifting H55F I've ever felt......until I rebuilt it, when swapping input shafts.

I'm hoping its in good shape. Did you have a problem with the rebuilt tranny after you swapped the input shafts?

Don't know anything about 3B tach sender, but the VM is the same as F/H, with pickup on flywheel.

It might not read accurately, but if 3B similarly sends, it could be possible to adapt, swapping relays and lights in the cluster.

Don't think there's much thinking going on in cluster. Speedo is cable driven, tach merely senses pulses provided, registers on gauge. Lights could be swapped to LEDs, so don't know why it wouldn't work......but basing that on having both clusters and harnesses on the bench, trying to do the reverse swap, with absolutely no experience in doing.

Became more determined to get the original tach to function with an HZ, which is low on the priority list, at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback. I might be picking up another instrument cluster this weekend. If not then the experimenting will begin.

Did you have a problem with the rebuilt tranny after you swapped the input shafts?

Yes, but to clarify.

It shifted flawlessly with so little effort behind the VM for the ~100 miles it was driven with that engine. I had never felt any Cruiser manual that shifted as smoothly.

In adherence to the 'while I'm in there' methodology, tore the H55F/BF1A down, inspected, blasted and coated housings. Rebuilt both, simultaneous to swapping to HZ input shaft, and installed a new HD clutch.

At the advice of a professional differential builder who has ample experience with Toyota products, well reknowned for domestic, who showed me how they were mic'd, where wear patterns should be but weren't, and what FSM said about his findings, I didn't replace 3&4 syncro's, which was a mistake.

I'm accustomed to the 2 to 3 transition, now, so in noticeable (until someone else drives) but going into 3rd is notchy and, for first few shifts of someone new, crunchy.

What I learned. :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but if you do fix it, replace 3 & 4 syncro's as a proactive measure.

Since you haven't had the luxury of driving, and they all can feel smooth shifting on the bench, don't know best path you should proceed, but based on my experience, if the fluid was reasonably clear and all looked god with top popped off, if it were me, I'd only swap the shaft and take my chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom