APRS - digital gps and heading packets over VHF; SMSGTE texting across VHF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the tt4, with your setup, it will run stand alone, then you can just connect your phone whenever for mapping and messaging without any special steps correct? aprsdroid uses the external gps source, or the phone's?

It can run on its own, then you can connect your phone to it via Bluetooth as long as the tt4 has the Bluetooth add on. Aprsdroid will actually have its own ssid (aprs entity) if you're broadcasting with it. Personally I'd rely on the tt4 to do the tracking, and use aprsdroid for the two way communication (viewing other aprs objects on the map, sending aprs messages, etc)

To help folks not familiar with APRSdroid here are a few tips to get started.

There are 2 ways to get the application
  1. Buy from the Play Store
  2. Go to APRSdroid - APRS for Android and you can download the current APK there and install it or you can download one of the variations like the OSM version.
Buying it from the store is great since it does provide some money to Georg Lukas the developer of the app, you do have to not allow it to auto update if you are using a downloaded version from aprsdroid.org.

However there are other versions that are available that are not in the Play Store. The OpenStreetMap (OSM) version is not in the Play Store.

The difference
  • The normal version uses your data connection on the phone to pull in Google Maps to show APRS objects on a map. This requires an active data connection
  • The OSM version requires you to download a compatible OSM map file to show APRS objects. This does not require a active data connection
I personally run the OSM version since in the backcountry I'm not going to have a 3G/LTE data connection. The downside is you need to find or compile your own map file. I'm not going to go into how to use Osmosis to pull OSM data files since it is complex and I still don't do it right all the time. You can get data files for around the world by going to Index of /maps for the US it is broken out by state. These files are updated weekly but for me I tend to update quarterly. They can be quite large California is 303 MB alone. I tend to keep California and Nevada on my tablet and I just point to the one I need in the app settings. This is only downside you can only have one map file loaded at a time You set this by going to preferences and point to the directory on you device that has the appropriate .map file.

There was a site that I used to use that allows you to select an area, once I can find it again and verify it still works I will update the post.

@asutherland I finally got to test SMSGTE which was new to me, what a great find. I am impressed with how well it works.

I also decided to pick up the Mobilinkd TNC2 to test as I had one of the original ones that I broke the switch on and haven't used it in a long time.

It is a great little TNC the build quality is nice and the battery is large, however you are limited to keeping a phone or a tablet on and nearby for it to transmit GPS data as the phone is the source for GPS. So for a portable or only on when you are in the vehicle works just fine. However if you want a stand alone unit the Byonics TinyTracker 4 is still the better option since you can run it stand alone with a GPS antenna plugged in.

Update... the equipment came in! Now I get to play. Spent some time figuring out where I wanted it mounted, how to mount it, created a bracket, and did some wiring. Both the secondary Kenwood radio and the APRS equipment are independently fused, and power sourced together off a relay I can control with my APRS labelled dash switch. It's power source is my 14 gauge "Acessories" wire which is relayed and fused again in the engine bay and comes on with ACC.

The Kenwood mounting bracket, riveted to my bracket, keeps the unit off the carpet and allows air circulation. It's also positioned far enough back under the seat that it has breathing room up top too, but close enough I can reach the buttons from the side of the seat while standing at the passenger door. The TT4 BlueTooth module Byonics shipped doesn't seem to have a project box around it, so a co worker is going to 3d print me a custom one this weekend ;)

Pics...

Equip1.jpg

Equip2.jpg

2.jpg

10.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the Kenwood D710GA radio and have the APRS all set up ( I think), but guess there are no IGate radios within my range to pick up my radio. I have not been able to get mine to show up on Google APRS map, and have not been able to send out a message. Still have a lot to learn.

Bkdraft are you using the tiny trak, and where abouts do you live? Aprs coverage is pretty wide.

Been having some configuration issues with mine too, just made myself a null modem cable so I can go into the device and reset it and check configuration.

Not using tiny trak, this radio is supposed to have everything built in. I am at 79225 zip code. Chillicothe, Tx
I do have two entries in the log, so it has picked up couple of radios.

Not using tiny trak, this radio is supposed to have everything built in. I am at 79225 zip code. Chillicothe, Tx
I do have two entries in the log, so it has picked up couple of radios.

Make sure you have the APRS path set for WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 this is where most people make mistakes.

Byon assisted me in resetting and putting some basic settings in my TT4. I made myself a null modem cable using scraps I had laying around and connected via terminal to the TT4. I issued the RESTORE command and set AMODE GPS, ABAUD 4800, PPER 120, and MYCALL as he suggested. It then transmitted every couple minutes and updated on aprs.fi

After that I did the CALIBRATE and MONITOR commands as per the quick guide, and set the radio to good levels. I then set it to SmartBeaconing and took it for a drive. It tracks!

I've yet to reconnect the Bluetooth module, but will shortly here. I think I then need to set the BMODE=GPS and AMODE=KISS (for connecting APRSDroid)

Bluetooth module works like a charm. I can pair my phone to it and receive aprs objects and info (such as repeater locations and frequencies, offsets, other aprs enabled vehicles etc) On the aprsdroid map, as well using SMSGTE I can send and receive text messages strictly over vhf. Tested that tonight using airplane mode on my phone.

The TT4 operates as it's own tracking function too, using its gps puck, so regardless of whether you have your phone connected or on or running aprsdroid or even with you, it will still operate as a tracker on its own.

Byon was a big help in getting this to work, their support was very appreciated when I ran into some setup issues.

Andrew

A few more pics. I built a little tab to hold my GPS receiver in the front window.

A sweep of my new Laird antenna, marker (red line) is set at 144.378 mhz. Antenna seems well tuned for the APRS frequency.

18.jpg

AntennaScan.jpg

Last edited:
Last but not least, a test, it's maiden voyage... of course it was a Jeep rescue! :rolleyes:

We were not far from town, but well out of cell reception even with the booster. I was able to communicate with my wife back and forth giving her updates. I was also speaking with my buddy Andy, giving him updates so he knew if we needed yet another vehicle out to help.

Screenshot_2016-04-08-10-09-25.png

Screenshot_2016-04-08-10-09-25.png

Last edited:
Wow, my head is spinning. I really want to use my tm-d710 as an interface with my android phone. I was thinking bluetooth for two way communication but havent had much luck in my search. I was initially most interested in position reporting and being able to overlay the info on a map when i have no wifi or 4g etc but love the sms option as well. I am using backcountry navigator but am open to others if the platform doesnt support it. I am using a garmin 60csx as the gps for the radio and hope to keep it this way but can use the phone if necessary. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

This weekend a couple close friends and I backroaded from Lillooet to the Big Bar reaction ferry via the West Pavillion FSR up the west side of the Fraser river, then across the river and up to Churn Creek where we camped out on the beach in the most perfect serene private camp spot amoungst the poplar trees.

We had a warm campfire, tasty pulled pork (made by my beautiful, talented wife) and cold beer, and it was a great birthday celebration.

This was a great test of the new system. Pretty much the whole way my APRS tracker had reception. For those of you who know this remote area well you understand how incredible this is. We lost cellular reception (even in the booster) just north of Lillooet and didn't receive it again until near Meadow lk on our way back to Clinton the following day. But the APRS system managed to send/receive it's packets across the mtn ranges even along the twisty-turny valley bottoms following the Fraser. Even with the small 1/4 wave antenna!

I am VERY happy with this system.

Churn1.jpg

Churn2.jpg

ChurnAPRS1.png

ChurnAPRS2.png

Last edited:
The biggest problem with radios Kenwood, Yeasu with APRS built is ...

An advantage of using some radios with builtin APRS is that they can include your primary voice frequency in the APRS status updates... allowing others to find want frequency you are on. My Yaesu FTM400 also lets me move to an advertised frequency easily... handy while on the road now that some digipeters are advertising local watering hole repeaters in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom