Anyone regret/dislike there rear swing out carrier? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I added a hydraulic damper to mine so it opens easily for my wife. The damper also holds the gate open so she doesn't have to mess with it when loading stuff into the rear. She does not mind it at all. It's set up well and my 2 year old son can close and latch it on his own

This sounds extremely helpful. Which damper? And do you have a pic posted around here somewhere? I see this mod in my future.

I do hate grabbing that latch after driving through the snow. My ski gloves are white, and it isn't in style to have dirty white leather.

i have a 4x4 labs rear bumper with dual swing outs. it is definitely a tiny bit of a hassle to crack open the rear. however, the benefits for me much out weigh the minuses. i can mount a full size spare and my departure angle has increased tremendously. i can still tow, but now my hitch doesn't drag over the smallest incline. the only real issue i've faced is how to deal with the safety chains on my various trailers with the hitch tucked farther up the rear of the vehicle. i'd still choose my current bumper over stock any day.

Ideally, I would rather have the tire in its stock location. But I'm on 35s.

I don't run the tire carrier unless I'm going on a road trip though. So I can open the hatch easily. Not that big of a deal.

:meh:

4X4 labs bumper here.
i'm looking to get the 4x4 labs bumper but one of the things holding me back is this...

i also only really want to take the spare with me when leaving town...

are you saying you have a 4x4 labs bumper that you remove the tire carrier on? how does that work? just bare spindle until you need it?

i'm looking to get the 4x4 labs bumper but one of the things holding me back is this...

i also only really want to take the spare with me when leaving town...

are you saying you have a 4x4 labs bumper that you remove the tire carrier on? how does that work? just bare spindle until you need it?
I just pull the whole rack off of the swing out.

P2210665.JPG
I've had zero regrets with my old school Slee single swing out rear. I wanted to relocate my 33" spare, so I could run aux fuel tanks, better departure angle, etc...

Wife and dogs are used to it. No biggie.

Last edited:
I just pull the whole rack off of the swing out.
i guess i don't know enough about how it's constructed to understand what you're saying here... so are you pulling the swingout off? or just the tire carrier off the swingout...

can the rear tailgate open with the swingout still on and closed?

or are you still opening the empty swingout to get the tailgate down...

Yeah, I just pull the rack off the swingout arm (4X4 Labs). Still have to open the swingout to open the tailgate.

i guess i don't know enough about how it's constructed to understand what you're saying here... so are you pulling the swingout off? or just the tire carrier off the swingout...

can the rear tailgate open with the swingout still on and closed?

or are you still opening the empty swingout to get the tailgate down...
The swing out on the 4x4 labs is held on by a few bolts on the swing arm. So he takes the upper (tire mount) off but the swing arm is still connected.

I have a long single swing out and its not annoying. It blocks most of the rear window, but there are side mirrors for a reason. Since its not going inside my truck and can't fit underneath, its the only option...

Like most have said it's not that big of a deal if you're the only one opening and closing the swingout. I built a custom bumper and centered the tire which is different from most bumpers on the market. I was able to lower the position of the tire mount to minimize blocking the rear window. I like the setup but will consider adding pop ups on the side windows later for easier access.

This sounds extremely helpful. Which damper? And do you have a pic posted around here somewhere? I see this mod in my future.

The entire bumper build thread is linked in my signature. I got the idea from some pics on 4x4 labs website for their rear bumper so the credit for it goes to them.

The damper I used is from Orielly's: Stabilus Lift-O-Mat Part# SG359005 (basically its a strut for a hatch back lift gate)

It's enough to open the swing out on its own and hold it open on relatively flat ground. I put the truck off camber and the gate wants to close (slowly) on its own. Going to look for a damper with a bit more force down the road but for now this works. Its nice because it controls the motion in and out so the gate doesn't slam against the stops on either end. Be careful not to get a gas spring. They look exactly the same but the spring does not have a controlled open speed. Learned this the hard way as I first had a spring and popped the latch on the swing out only to have it smack me in the knee pretty hard.

Wow... I was going to order a 4x4 Labs bumper and single swingout later this year. I didn't realize so many folks didn't like taking the extra step to swing the tire out before accessing the hatch. I admit I'm not a fan but I think it is something I would get used to quickly.

BTW, I use my hatch and tailgate all the time.

Wow... I was going to order a 4x4 Labs bumper and single swingout later this year. I didn't realize so many folks didn't like taking the extra step to swing the tire out before accessing the hatch. I admit I'm not a fan but I think it is something I would get used to quickly.

BTW, I use my hatch and tailgate all the time.
same... it's got me a bit concerned...

will you have yours delivered assembled? will you install yourself? since it does involve cutting the truck, and all i,ve got is a tiny HF welder i'm not even very good with, i may want to try to find somebody local you guys would recommend

same... it's got me a bit concerned...

will you have yours delivered assembled? will you install yourself? since it does involve cutting the truck, and all i,ve got is a tiny HF welder i'm not even very good with, i may want to try to find somebody local you guys would recommend

I have a very nice Hobart 220V welder and was planning on build the bumper myself. I've also read that the swingarm that comes with the kit is not strong enough and allows the tire to wiggle on the bumper. I will be reinforcing the arm to prevent twisting.

I hate putting my spare in the back but I also don't like traveling without it. I refuse to put it on the roof rack (high CoG) and it won't fit underneath the truck. My only option is the swingarm :(

Minus 2

I'll be putting a second fuel tank back there

I don't have the skills or the tools to build a bumper. I am looking for a swing out system that can hold other things: gas, water, propane, etc. I'm not interested in mounting the spare there. Does anyone make a bumper setup not designed around a tire?

Yea, 4x4 labs rear, which is generally what everyone is referring to in this thread, has various kits for coolers, ARB fridge/freezers, even a bike rack
Dunno if Luke at Labs does custom stuff but if not, a good guy up here by me named Mike at Bump It Off-road Does!!

Shipping is cheaper if you get the DIY kit, but a little HF welder won't do. The kit is all 3/16 steel and thicker so you need a 220V welder at the least. You may consider ordering it assembled from 4x4 labs. The cost is higher but it may be a wash if you have to pay to have it done locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom