This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm new here. Hi guys.

My '84 FJ60 (F2 motor) just recently had the inevitable smog pump failure, and I didn't have the money on hand to buy a new pump or an idler pulley kit to replace the smog pump (My state is lenient on emissions and I don't need the smog system). What I wound up doing was bypassing the smog pump and power steering pump altogether until I could find something to take the place of the smog pump. Apparently my PS pump didn't like me turning without fluid being pumped and THAT wound up kicking the bucket on me as well. So now I have a busted smog pump and a busted PS pump under my hood... I've seen the option of mounting a Saginaw PS pump out of an older GM car, and I saw on a thread a while ago (I cant for the life of me find it now) that the Saginaw just mounts right up to where the smog pump used to be. If this is the case I'd be killing two birds with one stone essentially, replacing my PS pump AND filling the space where my smog pump used to be. Anyone have more details on how the Saginaw pump mounts up to the smog bracket?

TL;DR

Will a saginaw powersteering pump mount on the OEM smog pump bracket?

The thread above is the best drop-in solution that is in the process to coming to market. I don't think @orangefj45 is selling them currently. If you go this route you can get a different length belt and just omit the smog pump space.

If you don't want to source a different belt you can purchase an idler pulley from Manafre or JimC (@FJ40Jim )

The Sag pump is the way to go in my opinion. Better pressure, cheap, easy to find/available at every parts counter.

Yes.
The Sag pump from a volvo car drops right into the AP bracket on 2F engines. If it is later model, an adjuster arm from a 1970s era 2F is needed.

Here's all the real estate made available by removing OEM PS pump & mount, EGR system and air pump & plumbing.
DSC09438.JPG

I forgot to take a good pic of the Volvo brackets that come on the pump, but it's pretty basic. Drop pump down in the hole, slide AP pivot bolt through AP bracket, a few spacer washers (to set fore-aft alignment), through the front mount, rear mount, spacer washers at back and finally through the rear eye of AP bracket.

DSC09445.JPG

A close up of the rear spacer sleeve that was made of 8MM ID DOM tube. This could be backyard engineered with a handful of 5/16 washers.
DSC09452.JPG

Eventually the OEM PS hose failed because of being kinked up in a non-stock shape, so a new hose w/ -6 ends was fabbed at local hydraulic shop and correct -6 adapters from PSC were installed for o-ring pump fitting and metric SBX fitting.

Last edited:
@FJ40Jim Thanks for the great pics!

Man a fre sells a bracket too. I have no fabbing skills or gear so went that route. I got a sag pump and man a fre bracket+pulley off eBay that someone had installed on an fj40

Currently trying to figure out if the high pressure outlet is of the right size for a stock fj60 hose.

The outlet reads 13.79mm see below. Not even sure if my micrometer technique is correct but if @FJ40Jim or anyone else knows if that's the right size I'd love to know!

Not tryin to hijack yer thread there. Hopefully we can share info as I'm about to do the same thing. I currently have jims pulley and a stock ps pump that sounds like a squealing pig :)

hose1.JPG

Monroe, been working on proto for this application and have it just about at 100%. PM me to discuss details and I would be willing to ship you a setup for your use and feedback.

Yes.
The Sag pump from a volvo car drops right into the AP bracket on 2F engines. If it is later model, an adjuster arm from a 1970s era 2F is needed.

Here's all the real estate made available by removing OEM PS pump & mount, EGR system and air pump & plumbing.
View attachment 1229791
I forgot to take a good pic of the Volvo brackets that come on the pump, but it's pretty basic. Drop pump down in the hole, slide AP pivot bolt through AP bracket, a few spacer washers (to set fore-aft alignment), through the front mount, rear mount, spacer washers at back and finally through the rear eye of AP bracket.

View attachment 1229792

A close up of the rear spacer sleeve that was made of 8MM ID DOM tube. This could be backyard engineered with a handful of 5/16 washers.
View attachment 1229797

Eventually the OEM PS hose failed because of being kinked up in a non-stock shape, so a new hose w/ -6 ends was fabbed at local hydraulic shop and correct -6 adapters from PSC were installed for o-ring pump fitting and metric SBX fitting.

What year and model of Volvo pump works? I ordered a used '88 240 pump and it was totally wrong. That's $40 down the drain :/

The one in my pics is from 80-86 244 6cyl diesel.
Be sure to get an early Saginaw canned ham style pump, complete w/ bracketry & pulley. At some point Volvo switches up to a modern pump w/ plastic or remote reservoir.

This thread was so much help in my conversion I thought I'd add to it. I pulled a saginaw pump and brackets from a '77 Volvo 245 wagon, with a 4 cylinder gas engine. It bolted right in after cutting a few inches off the brackets. I just had to fab a tensioner bracket

Finding the right length for new belts was a pain, I ended up using
Gates TR22434 for the power steering (19/32 X 44)
Gates TR22508 for the alternator (19/32 X 51-3/8). Note that I converted my alternator to a Mean Green GM)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom