Builds 1FZ-FE TRD S/C Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to start an independent thread of my build page to think about my 1FZ-FE S/C build. Just to preface, this is the slowest rebuild in the world. So, I may ought to call this my turtle build.

If you've followed my thread then you know I have had to source a good used head, rods, and an oil pan.

I am planning on having the block and the head surfaced to ensure the most perfectly flat sealing surface for the head gasket. The machine shop says that they surface the block prior to boring the block which I am waiting on to get a piston size, but they don't anticipate much surfacing as they feel the parts look very flat.

Since I'm at the point of piston choices I am also contemplating compression ratio with the supercharger. I am new to forced induction so bear with me. I'm not planning anything crazy here. If anything, just wanting to try to keep Toyota reliability built in. I will probably stay with the stock pulley or the next size down. Also, may run a different fuel pump such as one from a twin turbo Supra but if I can want to keep the system fairly stock.

Machine shop sells ITM pistons which I used in a 2F with good results and they came with Japanese made rings. That being said, I would have to inspect them very well before I would go that route.

Checking on Toyota O/S Pistons the other day, I might as well buy some Arias, CP, or JE forged Pistons. Another question on parts is, would SS valves be a good idea?

Big thing I've been thinking of studying boosted charts is that I may want to consider going to 8.5:1 compression. If I understand these charts correctly, 6lbs of boost which I also understand is stock here would yield an effective 12.0:1 which is where they recommend maxing out at with pump gas.

Any thoughts or recommendations from those with experience? Thanks!

If you go with stock compression then if your SC fails or you decide to put it on another rig no one is the wiser.

I am sure others will chime in but I was of the impression that these SC were pretty much maxed out with the smaller pulley and 9.0:1 compression. Could you move enough air to compensate for the lower compression ratio without overdriving the SC?

My supra fuel pump has been running faultlessly for nine years now.

BTW 4:88's 35"s and a SC is the perfect combo. I love it!

Have you searched/ read thru Scottyrana's threads about this? As much as it sounds counter productive, as boost goes up, compression goes down.

Lockd80, When you say smaller pulley are you talking about the optional one size smaller one? Are you running anything else extra on your setup? I like the idea of the Supra pump for reliability.

Inkpot, yes thats why I'm considering different compression ratios. The forged piston companies offer the 8.5 off the shelf.

It really isn't necessary to drop compression ratios if you are using the stock TRD SC'r and the stock sized pulley. Just make sure you're feeding it premium 93 octane fuel, that your injectors have been cleaned and that you have a good fuel pump. You're just not running enough boost to need lower compression, if you were going to try and push 10-12psi with that SC (don't think it's even possible) than yes you would need to lower compression since it would be very hot IAT's and detonation could be a real problem. But instead of custom Pistons you're better off from both a reliability and power stand point to get an intercooler or water/meth injection. An A/A intercooler is pretty dead nuts reliable.

Thanks. Does anyone make an air to air intercooler for the 80?

A lot of people have but none in production but I think it's a great project for Joey @NLXTACY @Witsend

He has a TRD SC'r, he has s***ty gas, he has a hot climate, he has the capability and now he has 2 cruiser companies ;)

@scottryana Son of a...

As if I needed another project right now :flipoff2:

@pkelly72 put a really comprehensive kit together a few years back and may still have stuff available.

For me, I'd have to do the same thing, gather up all the bits and bobs. I'd have have to fab up mounts plus the IC. Too many things going on right now for me to tackle that. :(

Thanks guys! By the time I get to that point NLXTACY might have time.

I think a top mount wouldn't be too hard to fit to an SC'd 1fz. Here's a A/W intercooler I found on google (mud member):
1fz-with-intercooler-jpg.644516

You could put an A/A intercooler in the same location. If you wanted to get really creative, get a company to make custom end tanks that look like this:
ic.jpg

Yeah I mean it isn't like one of his companies came to fruition due to over heating and the other one is devoted to overland reliability. And I mean an intercooler doesn't really address both of those things? But armor plated, velcro closed, pocket watch holding, carpeted dash covers are cool too. @NLXTACY :flipoff2:

Thanks guys! By the time I get to that point NLXTACY might have time.

Lockd80, When you say smaller pulley are you talking about the optional one size smaller one? Are you running anything else extra on your setup? I like the idea of the Supra pump for reliability.

Inkpot, yes thats why I'm considering different compression ratios. The forged piston companies offer the 8.5 off the shelf.

By off the shelf you mean 6-8 weeks manufacture time! :) I want a supercharger... I kept stock compression ratio. I wonder if I could slide an intercooler by the CARB guys here in the nation of cali.

I think a top mount wouldn't be too hard to fit to an SC'd 1fz. Here's a A/W intercooler I found on google (mud member):
1fz-with-intercooler-jpg.644516

You could put an A/A intercooler in the same location. If you wanted to get really creative, get a company to make custom end tanks that look like this:
View attachment 1226850
That looks like it's air to water

it is air to water (that's the A/W I put in my post, sorry for the confusion), I was just saying you could just as easily put an air to air in the same location with a little tinkering, which apparently blarsen has already done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom