Taking the plunge near year's end - what diesel 80 should I be looking for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With a real need for 4x4 on a daily basis, my old Prius wasn't cutting it, and the gas 80 has become our DD. We have had such a spectacularly good experience with the 80 that we want another. I love that little Prius, but reality is what it is and 2wd doesn't really cut it where we now live. Now, with the American dollar being very strong, and the Canadian dollar being weak, I'd like to buy a diesel 80 from Canada (the good mileage and possibility of alternative fuels don't bother a hybrid fan either). What sort of engine should I be looking for? I was sort of wanting an un-turbo'd 1HZ for their extreme longevity and the fact that (I believe) they're still in production. The 1HD-T is of course going to be much faster, but I have heard that their longevity is not as good as the 1HZ. Reliability is more important than power for me. Am I incorrect? Maybe I'm unreasonably averse to the 1HD-T?

Additionally, for us, lockers are a fact of daily life - did any of the 1HZ's come triple locked?

Here's a short summary for those too lazy to read:

* Diesel 80
* Pre 1992
* No rust
* <150,000km
* RHD
* Triple locked

What do you think of our list of requirements? Where should we be looking? Thanks and we hope to join the diesel weasels soon.

It will be a rare find to locate an 80 series with a 1HZ in Canada. There are some around, but most have the 1HD-T.

If you really want less than 150,000 kms you should be looking in Japan as well as Canada. Even ones that were imported to Canada from Japan with low mileage will likely have more than 200,000 kms after they have spent almost 10 years in Canada. Heck, I don't put on nearly as many miles as most people and I've put on just over 120,000 kms in the 6 years I've owned mine. Maybe there are more difficult logistics involved with importing straight from Japan, but looking in Canada it will open up more options if you are ok with up to 200,000 kms. At 25 years old that'll be less than 10,000 kms per year.

You don't want an 80 with a 1HZ unless you are looking to everywhere veeery slowly. There's a reason there are so many threads about turbocharging the 1HZ.

The difference in longevity (if there even is one) is not a factor unless you are planning to put on 500,000km. Both engines are extremely long lived.

You don't want an 80 with a 1HZ unless you are looking to everywhere veeery slowly. There's a reason there are so many threads about turbocharging the 1HZ.

The difference in longevity (if there even is one) is not a factor unless you are planning to put on 500,000km. Both engines are extremely long lived.

I was planning to put on about that much over time. I really, really don't mind going slowly. What are the pitfalls of the 1HD-T? Yours doesn't seem to have troubled you much.

I was planning to put on about that much over time. I really, really don't mind going slowly. What are the pitfalls of the 1HD-T? Yours doesn't seem to have troubled you much.
Only real pitfall is the big end bearings, which are easily remedied.

I've done nothing but standard maintenance items. Water pump, t-belt, valve cover gaskets, and valve adjustment is all I've done in the last five years.

Well if you're in the states and wish to legally import a diesel 80 it looks like it's gonna be a 12 valve. Get the HDT, get factory lockers. Buy the best Canadian truck with the most available service history. West coast - rust shouldn't be a problem- my truck lives inside and is damn near rust free. The poor Canuck will have sorted out any of the JDM 'mysteries' by now most likely. My truck is plenty fast for me and I could add a ton of fuel safely but my very low EGTs are comforting... The thought of a roadtrip in a loaded down HZJ8X is pretty scary when I consider the some of the hills around here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom