350 conversion vs. rebuilt 2F??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm weighing the options between a 350 conversion and going cheaper and doing a rebuilt 2F. I'm going for cost savings over performance, but performance is nice at the right price. I don't care about getting 10 miles per gallon. I just want my rig to run well. Any suggestions out there from experience? There's a shop nearby in Oregon that lists a rebuilt 2F for $2390. I know I can do the rebuild myself for about $750 including parts. Any advice is appreciated.

You can rebuild a 2F for $750? Tell me more. I was under the impressions that it was much more expensive. Can you point me to the source of the parts? I have one I'm going to be starting soon.

You can rebuild a 2F for $750? Tell me more. I was under the impressions that it was much more expensive. Can you point me to the source of the parts? I have one I'm going to be starting soon.

Guess I spoke too soon. The one I was looking at is for an FJ40 and is more like $850 after shipping. I emailed the manufacturer to see if they sell the FJ60 kit. I realize there are other costs involved, but that's getting started.

My personal experience, steer clear from the TBI 350. I used to be a big proponent until I actually owned one. Power is pretty underwhelming, and frankly my 1fz feels like it has more pep. As soon as I got it, I was researching adding vortec heads, cams, etc for more power. While I understand power isn't your goal, IMO if you're going through the effort you might as well get a 96+ vortec, or better a 5.3 vortec if you can swing it.

Or keep it stock and rebuild if that floats your boat. Nothing wrong with original, but the kit you posted lists origin as unbranded/generic. That is a red flag in my book--spend more money for quality parts that you know came from Japan or USA. You only want to do it once :)

my 2F is a beast...cost about 3400 built. about 12-13 MPG with a 4 speed fj55 on 285/16 meats rolling past 80 on the freeway. If I wanted to, I could smoke the tires...HTH

Master Rebuild Kit - 2F Landcruiser
Page 034 Land Cruiser Engine Block, Pistons, and Bearings
Land Cruiser Motor Engine Rebuild Kit - 2F - JTOutfitters

Here is a start for a somewhat reputable kit from some reputable shops. I would definitely NOT buy a kit from China or you will be back fixing it a few thousand miles later.

Also, stock drivetrain is the most reliable. Once you start changing things around, you create new problems.

I agree, LCE and SOR are probably the only parts I would use on a rebuild. And I would still be using a lot OEM for headgasket, oil pan, and main seals. Your best option is to find a good running 2F or even 3FE if your competent enough to deal with some wiring. Swapping a 2f motor in would be quick and easy compared to what your considering. I wouldn't ever put a chevy motor in my 60 but if I did it would be 5.3/ls variety. I hate the old tbi 350, just my opinion though.

Check the classifieds on here for an engine and even look on craigslist for a part out truck. I bought a fj62 for my 3fe swap with 89k on the motor, rough body (roll over) but strong engine. After it's all said and done I've acquired the engine and harness I need for the swap and parted out the rest to not only break even but make money. And I still got a lot left. Not sure if picking up a junker is doable for you but it has proven to be a great option for me.

2f is a cheaper option for sure. When you add up the costs for adapters, fab work, cooling system, exhaust, headers, wiring, price goes up fast on a v8 conversion. But if you want better fuel economy and power, and want to keep your rig forever, then drop a LS motor in. If you just want to get back on the road and want a reliable toyota motor, go 2f.

Getting a kit like seen above just gets fresh pistons and bearings, seals etc. Hardly what I call a new motor. Still has old cam, and other parts attached to it.

My preference if it was me, I'd find a low mileage chevy motor. I like the idea of the lighter more powerful engine. Better mpg and more power.. I really hated my 3fe powered cruiser. gutless and thirsty. But loved my cruisers.

I'd like to see a 6.0 chevy motor in cruiser, but I'm sure the 5.3 would be very very nice.

YOU'RE 3fe DIDN'T HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION...

my 2F is a beast...cost about 3400 built. about 12-13 MPG with a 4 speed fj55 on 285/16 meats rolling past 80 on the freeway. If I wanted to, I could smoke the tires...HTH

Yeahh, sweet.

I kin smoke the tires on my tired ol 2f....

When I slam on the brakes.

Some of those rebuild kits seem attractive, beware the itm branded stuff...

YOU'RE 3fe DIDN'T HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION...

I'm sure it being tied to a slush box and constant AWD didn't help that's for sure. Good point!

Yeahh, sweet.

I kin smoke the tires on my tired ol 2f....

When I slam on the brakes.

Some of those rebuild kits seem attractive, beware the itm branded stuff...

SHHHHH....THOSE PISTONS WILL BE FINE(I hope)...besides, good luck finding much else. might stick to a more name branded timing gear, tho...(melling), and the bearings. I'd flip the old oil pump drive gears, measure it and run it, have the cam and lifters ground. Pistons you're kind of stuck with what's on the market and gaskets are all about clean, flat surfaces. easily have 25K on that motor now. fingers crossed itwil last.

I'm sure it being tied to a slush box and constant AWD didn't help that's for sure. Good point!

even a H42 will give you a kick in the pants- it'll rev pretty quick

I wont get into which way I think you should go, I think my position may well be obvious. Although, if you do not plan on keeping the truck a long time I would stick to what's already in the truck.

But, if you do choose to go the GM V8 route do yourself a favor and find a lower (under 150K) mileage Gen III 5.3L Vortec. Clean it up, replace all the sensors, check all the obvious possible issues and swap it into your rig. The difference in performance, overall power, longevity etc between it and a carbed or TBI small block is night and day.

hm.....v8 swap...Yes. You can find a 5.3 with transmission in some salvage yards ....around 2K....other things would have be purchased...go read through the engine swap threads. I would not sink money into a 2f...but thats me.

Are you sure your existing engine is dead? Replacing the long block won't help much if there are problems with the carb, dizzy, or smog system. Just sayin.

Cheapest (and by far the easiest and quickest) route is to pick up a used 2F someone else is upgrading.

Professionally installed new Vortec is in the $10-12,000 range. Home brew swaps vary greatly in price, quality, dependability, and resale.

If cost is an issue here, which it sounds like it is, look for a used motor. Way cheaper than a rebuild or v8 swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom