Vortec Swap Parts List/Note Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a month out from starting my 5.3 swap into my 88' 62 and I have started a spreadsheet with parts and costs. If anyone one out there has a similar list that I could reference and build off of that would be awesome. Any notes that someone has collected would be well used as well. When I get done I will put together a PDF and Post up for future reference for the rest of the mudders that want to tackle this swap.

tsmith.eng@gmail.com

So Far I have all the basics:
Bought my 5.3- 04' 90K with 4L60E Complete
H3 Oil pan
TC Rebuild - George and Valley Hybrids

lacking the Fuel filter / in tank Fuel pump / any connector list would be great.
62 bumper.JPG

Just emailed you the list that I created while doing my V8 Theorycrafting thread. Shared it with a few people and will preface that the information does have a mix of TBI vs. Vortec but believe it is called out there.. There are two tabs so you will see LOTS of information on the second tab. Hope that helps.

Just sent you a link to my list on google drive. It is still in flux as I am still working on it.

I am a month out from starting my 5.3 swap into my 88' 62 and I have started a spreadsheet with parts and costs. If anyone one out there has a similar list that I could reference and build off of that would be awesome. Any notes that someone has collected would be well used as well. When I get done I will put together a PDF and Post up for future reference for the rest of the mudders that want to tackle this swap.

tsmith.eng@gmail.com

So Far I have all the basics:
Bought my 5.3- 04' 90K with 4L60E Complete
H3 Oil pan
TC Rebuild - George and Valley Hybrids

lacking the Fuel filter / in tank Fuel pump / any connector list would be great.
View attachment 1214140

Could you forward me some of the information you get regarding this? I currently have a 5.7 in my 60, but am considering swapping to a 5.3 in the future.

I am doing the same swap as GreyGoose; current 5.7 out, 5.3 LS in. Gregnash, would you send me the engine swap info also?
Thanks,
David
David, send me your email in a PM and I will send over to you.

Could you forward me some of the information you get regarding this? I currently have a 5.7 in my 60, but am considering swapping to a 5.3 in the future.

Lots of the information can be found in this thread Theorycraft - V8 swap on an EXTREME Budget
However, if you want the spreadsheet that I sent to Tim then send me your email and I can shoot it over to you tonight.

You're lucky to be doing the swap into a 62. I believe most have used the existing 62 fuel pump and report it works fine. Also should be able to reuse stock crossmember. Those two things will save you lots of time and money.

FYI, fuel filter/regulator that you want is the wix 33737.

GL

-Ed

That's a good lookin' 62 you've got there! If your engine is a L59 flex fuel engine, you won't need the Wix fuel filter/pressure regulator. The regulator is on the fuel rail, along with an outlet for a return line. Just add a inline filter. The non flex fuel motors in that year won't have a return line.
Check out.
LT1 Swap
One of the best sites for any LS/Vortec swap. Explains how to mod the stock harness, and Brendan will reflash your PCM for $75.

Sorry, no spread sheet. These builds will nickel and dime you to death, so be prepared:eek: and good luck!;)

Since a lot of the guys have asked me to mail them the spreadsheet I created I am going to attempt to link here tonight from my dropbox account (work network blocks it).
Will be adding the WIX Filter/regulator recommendation from Ed and the info from @daytonadogie on the Flex Fuel vs. Standard engines.

Link to file... someone please test and see if this works letting me know either way. I have literally had 10 different requests today for this spreadsheet.
Dropbox - V8 Swap.xlsx

Ok and just so everyone knows this IS NOT a comprehensive list NOR am I an expert of any sort. What I am is anal retentive and an analyst and when I was looking at doing this myself I wanted to be sure that I had as much information as possible. So please, those who download this or use it understand that you really need to do YOUR OWN research for your specific setup. I attempted to make this as comprehensive as possible and as an AID not a replacement.

- Greg

Last edited:
fjeng, looking forward to following this thread. I'm about to start a new one myself, as my brother is about to begin a swap on my FJ62 back home in GA (unfortunately, I'm currently stationed in Asia and he's trying to get it ready for my return this summer). We just secured an '06 LM7 off of eBay last night, and I'm sitting here now ordering up the big-ticket items off of Advanced Adapters and Amazon to help get things started. Lots of details (and $$$) will follow, I know...

Many thanks already to those that have piped up to supply spreadsheets and tips. My brother and I have scoured pretty much every swap thread on this forum, but it still feels daunting. Looking forward to tapping the vast web of knowledge that exists here!

Good luck, fjeng, and everyone else going through this swap!

FYI:
I too have an L59 flex fuel engine.
It does not have any fuel regulator on the rail , so I do run the WIX filter..
My engine is a 2006.
Could be that the new engines don't run it?
Best bet is know what engine you are getting, and check to see if it is a returnless fuel system....

Well I have run into a little delay in my build as my 5.3 would not pass compression test due to crud buildup in the cylinders and valves. Long story short I tore it down and honed all cylinders, replaced rings, and lapped and blue checked all valves. Not sure what happened to it but it does have low mileage due to the original rings and bearings were all in spec. I have been getting a better comprehensive list together for the swap to share. I have all my parts bought and will start the swap in a week or so. Still using my 62 for a DD so I will take it down when I am sure I have all the piece parts (that i know i need). After all of the rebuild It passed the compression test with flying colors!!

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom